Emre Belözoğlu (now managing İstanbul Başakşehir)

Guest geordienorway

So it's all transpired now that this isn't actually "official" then? That Nathan chap said his was a fansite, not the real deal.

Could still go a bit Pete Tong.

SkySports.com reckon:

"A statement on the Turkish club's official website said: "Fenerbahce reached an agreement with Newcastle United in order to sign the Turkish superstar Emre Belozoglu.""

EDIT: Here we gan - http://www.fenerbahce.org/eng/detay.asp?ContentID=1857

http://www.fenerbahce.com/index.php?giris=ok

There wouldn´t be a point in keeping such a player, except your description doesn´t really apply to Emre. He has played over 25 games a season on average for us, scored and created more goals than any of our other central midfield players in his time here and played at his best when the pressure was on, scoring some important, matchwinning goals in the process..

I don't think Emre has played 75 games for us and he's been here for 3 seasons.

Emre's Appearance Statistics (All Competitions - Taken from ESPN Soccernet's "Game Log")

Season 1: Starts 20, Games Completed 13, Sub Appearances 3, Total Minutes Played 1734 (19.3 games), Goals 2, Assists 4.

Season 2: Starts 31, Games Completed 16, Sub Appearances 5, Total Minutes Played 2681 (29.8 games), Goals 2, Assists 3.

Season 3: Starts 8, Games Completed 3, Sub Appearances 9, Total Minutes Played 754 (8.4 games), Goals 1, Assists 4.

Totals: Starts 59, Games Completed 32, Sub Appearances 17, Total Minutes Played 5169 (57.4 games), Goals 5, Assists 11.

Averages: Starts 19.7, Games Completed 10.7, Sub Appearances 5.7, Total Minutes Played 1723 (19.1 games), Goals 1.7, Assists 3.7.

Just to clear it up once and for all.

Emre's Appearance Statistics (All Competitions - Taken from ESPN Soccernet's "Game Log")

Season 1: Starts 20, Games Completed 13, Sub Appearances 3, Total Minutes Played 1734 (19.3 games)

Season 2: Starts 31, Games Completed 16, Sub Appearances 5, Total Minutes Played 2681 (29.8 games)

Season 3: Starts 8, Games Completed 3, Sub Appearances 9, Total Minutes Played  754 (8.4 games)

Totals: Starts 59, Games Completed 32, Sub Appearances 17, Total Minutes Played 5169 (57.4 games)

Averages: Starts 19.7, Games Completed 10.7, Sub Appearances 5.7, Total Minutes Played 1723 (19.1 games)

Just to clear it up once and for all.

£3.5m in wages for 20 games a season.

Bargain.

Added goals/assists in there as well now. Obviously the data may not be 100% accurate (I'm always sceptical of sources), but Soccernet tends to be pretty accurate for this sort of thing, especially as far as Appearances go.

Added goals/assists in there as well now. Obviously the data may not be 100% accurate (I'm always sceptical of sources), but Soccernet tends to be pretty accurate for this sort of thing, especially as far as Appearances go.

Considering around 40%+ of those games will be him coming back from another injury, his assist and goal record isn't that bad. But then again that just proves what the majority know about Emre, good player, horrific injury record and better for the club that he's gone.

Some people need to try supporting the club and look out for its interests instead of supporting certain players and looking out for them.

Obviously it doesn't take into account times where he wasn't picked in the squad and was fit (has that ever happened?), but it does tell us when he was an unused substitute, which was 5 times - 1 in 06/07, 4 in 07/08.

There wouldn´t be a point in keeping such a player, except your description doesn´t really apply to Emre. He has played over 25 games a season on average for us, scored and created more goals than any of our other central midfield players in his time here and played at his best when the pressure was on, scoring some important, matchwinning goals in the process..

You´re right. It was 76. Another myth disspelled..

At the end of the day, he'd have been a good enough player for us if he was fit more often than he was.

Story of most players who have left this club.

I'll be sad to see him go as I've always been a fan of his and feel he can light up a midfield when he's top of his game, but for his sized contract and the times he's been fit, he has to go.

Aye, but he didn't play an average of 25 games a season and technically Parker scored more goals than him over the two seasons he was here, so it's swings and roundabouts I'm afraid.

Considering around 40%+ of those games will be him coming back from another injury, his assist and goal record isn't that bad. But then again that just proves what the majority know about Emre, good player, horrific injury record and better for the club that he's gone.

Some people need to try supporting the club and look out for its interests instead of supporting certain players and looking out for them.

See, I agree with much of that actually. I don´t see how people wanting us to keep our better players )and being a bit disheartened at losing one whilst holding on to our grafters) can be accused of not supporting the club though.

Aye, but he didn't play an average of 25 games a season and technically Parker scored more goals than him over the two seasons he was here, so it's swings and roundabouts I'm afraid.

How does 76 appearances in 3 seasons not compute to `over 25 games a season on average`? Fair enough about the goals I guess, although it must be close. At least with Emre there was a chance of a central midfielder scoring, which is more than can be said of the likes of Smith.

How does 76 appearances in 3 seasons not compute to `over 25 games a season on average`? Fair enough about the goals I guess, although it must be close. At least with Emre there was a chance of a central midfielder scoring, which is more than can be said of the likes of Smith.

He played 59 games in 3 seasons.

He played 59 games in 3 seasons.

Heh? Since when is a sub not an appearance?

I prefer to use the total minutes played rather than just the "20 games, 5 sub appearances" method, personally, as it gives a more accurate reflection. With that, he managed just under 20 games a season on average.

I like the bloke as well and appreciate his talent in the same way that you do, to be honest, I don't think you can be accused of not supporting the club for being sad to see him go and for wanting to see an accurate portrayal of his time here rather than the "he was crap and always injured!!!" rubbish some have posted.

I just hope we replace him effectively, 'cos as you say the creativity levels in our midfield are dangerously low now.

Guest neesy111

can you get it he played 57 games for the club, not ur made up figure of 76 games, like every fucker on this thread is saying

See, I agree with much of that actually. I don´t see how people wanting us to keep our better players )and being a bit disheartened at losing one whilst holding on to our grafters) can be accused of not supporting the club though.

I don't want the grafters with no talent either. I'll be as happy if not more when they've gone.

For me its all about getting the right combination of player; mentally, physically and technically and paying the right amount in wages for that player. Emre had the technical skills in abundance, but lacked mental toughness, severely lacked any physical presence (not to mention injuries) and was being paid an astronomical wage. It doesn't add up, well what it adds up too is another footballer being made a multi millionaire by this club from its fans for next to nothing in return.

Right now were spunking £1.2m per week on wages when really the ability of them combined suggests that wage bill should be something like £500k, less than half. Emre was on £65kpw (reportedly and believably so with the wages bill announced the other day) even a fit Emre isn't worth that and the Emre we have experienced isn't even worth £20kpw imo.

One down that's all, so many more to go, and if that's Ashley's plan then i'm all for it.

I prefer to use the total minutes played rather than just the "20 games, 5 sub appearances" method, personally, as it gives a more accurate reflection. With that, he managed just under 20 games a season on average.

I like the bloke as well and appreciate his talent in the same way that you do, to be honest, I don't think you can be accused of not supporting the club for being sad to see him go and for wanting to see an accurate portrayal of his time here rather than the "he was crap and always injured!!!" rubbish some have posted.

I just hope we replace him effectively, 'cos as you say the creativity levels in our midfield are dangerously low now.

Ok, I appreciate you dug up the figures to prove that the `always injured´ line doesn´t really hold. He has been injured quite (to) frequently though, especially the last season, and I think that may have distorted peoples´ views somewhat (short memories). Personally, I don´t think his total minutes per season average will be much lower than other first team players though. 20 full 90 minute games a season isn´t that bad surely?