Duff to Mackems?

Guest sicko2ndbest

A very poor player, who looked painfully slow and often dis-interested. What annoyed me more was the management picking him for the last few games ahead of Charlie, i'd want to leave if that tit was getting on ahead of me. So we've knocked 120k with him and Emre in theory, plus 20k for Ramage 1k for Troisi and 30-40k for Carr. Start buying yet?

No way was Ramage on 20k, I wouldn't have paid him 20 peanuts. Other than that I agree we've probably trimmed the bill sufficiently (plus Smith)

If it's true good bit of business to rid ourselves of Duffy Duck, it seems Keegan needs to sell before he can buy. As I have said in earlier thread Ashley won't be the cash cow everybody thinks he will be "first and foremost he's a businessman" and profit comes before anything else.

Dunno where you are getting that form considering there has already been confirmed bids for Woodgate in January and Modric. Both were considerable bids.

Aye, but he didn't really have much time then did he? And plus, he wouldn't have known who he wanted to sell within the first two weeks of being at the club.

Eh?. what's your point?

Keegan joined our club with about 2 weeks of the January window left - he wouldn't have had enough time to run the rule over the squad and decide who he wanted to flog. Therefore the theory of "having to sell before buying" was not really in place in January, as time was short.

Yeah! but this not January any more is it, and after the meeting with Ashley in London it probably does mean he needs to lower the wage bill before being able to buy.

There's no evidence to support that assertion.

Do you not read the Daily Mail?

Pilko

Where does the Modric bid stand in your theory?  Keegan still didn't know who he wanted to sell when the season finished so Ashley allowed a £16 million bid anyway?..  We've made two significant bids for players, then afterwards we've sold one and are possibly on the brink of selling another.  That doesn't suggest anything like a sell before we can buy policy, in fact it tells us pretty clearly that there is no such policy.

At the very most we have a policy of trying to reduce the wage bill, or at least not increase it.  But clearly the transfer funds are there regardless.

If it's true good bit of business to rid ourselves of Duffy Duck, it seems Keegan needs to sell before he can buy. As I have said in earlier thread Ashley won't be the cash cow everybody thinks he will be "first and foremost he's a businessman" and profit comes before anything else.

Dunno where you are getting that form considering there has already been confirmed bids for Woodgate in January and Modric. Both were considerable bids.

Aye, but he didn't really have much time then did he? And plus, he wouldn't have known who he wanted to sell within the first two weeks of being at the club.

Eh?. what's your point?

Keegan joined our club with about 2 weeks of the January window left - he wouldn't have had enough time to run the rule over the squad and decide who he wanted to flog. Therefore the theory of "having to sell before buying" was not really in place in January, as time was short.

Yeah! but this not January any more is it, and after the meeting with Ashley in London it probably does mean he needs to lower the wage bill before being able to buy.

Okay! it's you could be right, but where's the evidence that supports that Ashley will be the "goose that lays  the golden egg" I've not seen anything that about what Newcastle's budget will be this year other than speculation from the papers.

Guest Heneage

I always thought the general idea was we chop the show pony wages from the bill, and buy more development players who got more money when they won things.

Okay! it's you could be right, but where's the evidence that supports that Ashley will be the "goose that lays  the golden egg" I've not seen anything that about what Newcastle's budget will be this year other than speculation from the papers.

Does a £16 million bid for one player not tell you anything about the budget?

Eh?. what's your point?

Well You've really answered your own question. There is no evidence to suggest that he's gonna be an Abramovich style cash spendaholic. All we do know is that Keegan told us that there would be cash available to spend on the right players and that we have made two significant bids for players so far. The amount we were willing to pay for Modric suggests to me that they will cough up but the thing to remember is that they are astute businessmen and won't just pay willy nilly for any old Luque  O0.

I was happy when he signed, but now I really don't care if he goes. I'm not pleased that he'd go to the Mackems, though. But that's only because I got Duff's name on the back of a Newcastle shirt last year. Won't be wearing that anymore if he goes to Sunderland.

He was a disaster from the start. I was always sure Given and Carr said come here, they'll pay you a fortune and you don't need to do much. We didn't need him and that's when Zog's problems started. Please let this be true, and if Keane pays money for him as rumoured he is indeed a poor poor judge of a player. He'd even sign Bramble if he was Irish.

He was a disaster from the start. I was always sure Given and Carr said come here, they'll pay you a fortune and you don't need to do much. We didn't need him and that's when Zog's problems started. Please let this be true, and if Keane pays money for him as rumoured he is indeed a poor poor judge of a player. He'd even sign Bramble if he was Irish.

didn't need him ?  an experienced quality (he was at the time of signing) international who can play on both wings in theses squad days.

didn't need him ?  an experienced quality (he was at the time of signing) international who can play on both wings in theses squad days.

If he was bought as a squad player to fight for the shirt that would have been fair enough. In reality Roeder was too weak to drop senior players and Duff became an automatic choice even though his performances on the pitch were powder puff to say the least.

If he was bought as a squad player to fight for the shirt that would have been fair enough. In reality Roeder was too weak to drop senior players and Duff became an automatic choice even though his performances on the pitch were powder puff to say the least.

and when n'zogbia played there that season he was worse...whats a manager to do ?

and when n'zogbia played there that season he was worse...whats a manager to do ?

Before Duff came N'Zogbia had been on fire. Zog doesn't take kindly to playing second fiddle, which isn't a great attitude, so it was (and is now) imperative that we buy someone as good as or better to compete. Otherwise if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Before Duff came N'Zogbia had been on fire. Zog doesn't take kindly to playing second fiddle, which isn't a great attitude, so it was (and is now) imperative that we buy someone as good as or better to compete. Otherwise if it ain't broke don't fix it.

duff's adaptability and quality (at that time) made him too good to turn down. who was to know that charles would have a hissy fit because a manager does what he views is best for the club.

I think we can all agree that when we beat Tottenham to Duff for a paltry 5 million pounds, everyone here thought it was a damn good piece of business. At least, I know I did.

Didn't turn out that way, but I don't think it's fair to knock the decision-making capabilities of the previous regime based on the Duff buy... We've got dozens of better examples if we want to do that.

I think quite a few people expressed their concern that that is exactly what would happen.

so we cant strengthen the squad in case it upsets 1 player ?

we can do what we want, but actions have consequences - the consequence here is that one of our brightest stars, having had his best season for the club, was effectively replaced by duff regardless of form and i think we'd all agree he's never been the same

you can't expect people to graft like fuck to get somewhere then when you reward the hard work negatively for them to be happy about it can you?

surely?

I think quite a few people expressed their concern that that is exactly what would happen.

What I said was that we have to make sure that we DO strengthen. It's detrimental buying a worse player and giving him the first team slot, especially if the player in possession of the shirt has been playing well which Zog had at the time.

What I said was that we have to make sure that we DO strengthen. It's detrimental buying a worse player and giving him the first team slot, especially if the player in possession of the shirt has been playing well which Zog had at the time.

at the time i wouldn't have said duff was a worse player. we had n'zogbia mainly left,milner right and little else. then we had the chance to get duff a quality international who can play on both sides. it hasn't worked out but at the time it was a no brainer. just maybe duff got his place due to n'zogbias attitude.