Pablo Aimar joins Benfica

morgs

Guest WalkervilleMag

He is just another in the long line of players dubbed the "Next Maradonna" who after a great start to his career, has never been able to keep it going.

The big problem hes had is that he can only play in one position effectively - behind the striker, in front of the midfield, ie in the "hole" - and the problem with that is that although hes still a good footballer, he doesnt contribute enough in terms of goals or assists. Bit of a less injury-prone Emre so to speak, someone who can control the ball well, dribble and pass nicely, but wont rack up on either goals or assists come the end of the season.

Hence why he was eventually ousted from the team at Valencia, a side with top wingers meaning they had the choice of either playing a lone striker with Aimar behind them and two wingers either side, or playing two forwards to complemenet the wingers and therefore dropping Aimar. Easy choice to make given Aimar's aforementioned lack of contribution.

He's been half decent for Zaragoza whenever I've seen him play, but he'd often not be in the game for large periods.

As always, its a risk, a pretty big one as he could easily be another Duff, but it could pay off extremely well in the current formation, because that slot currently occupied by Owen is perfect for Aimar. Plus, its that Keegan factor, we should know more than anyone just how well Keegan can use players with flair and ability in their locker. Look at the transformation of players like Butt and Barton under Keegan, going from woefully mediocre to relatively decent/impressive, then imagine him doing that with someone like Aimar - we could be laughing if he pulls it off.

So who'd play up top then if we got Aimar?

Can't see him in a flat four in the middle, more the Beardo link man. Can't see either Owen or Martns excelling as a lone front man unless they are told to play like Cole of the KK vintage (i.e only looking towards goal and balls being played in front of them to chase

Can't see him in a flat four in the middle, more the Beardo link man. Can't see either Owen or Martns excelling as a lone front man unless they are told to play like Cole of the KK vintage (i.e only looking towards goal and balls being played in front of them to chase

Would this not happen with Arshavin as well?

I think Owen would go back top. Aimar does have a good through ball in his locker, although its not seen that often - maybe with someone like Owen up front making darting runs (instead of e.g. a Carew or Kanoute) Aimar might have more options?

But thats the first team. I think he'd be a canny player to bring on as a sub or replacement for eg Martins/Owen/a wide central midfielder. Its always good to be able to bring on a good footballer in an attacking position when necessary.

Would this not happen with Arshavin as well?

Have you not been listening to the ITV pundits? Arshavin is a footballing God and will win the Premier League on his own (well if he signs for ManU/Arse anyway).

On a side note, how annoyed much the scousers be for not even being linked to him.

The big problem hes had is that he can only play in one position effectively - behind the striker, in front of the midfield, ie in the "hole" - and the problem with that is that although hes still a good footballer, he doesnt contribute enough in terms of goals or assists. Bit of a less injury-prone Emre so to speak, someone who can control the ball well, dribble and pass nicely, but wont rack up on either goals or assists come the end of the season.

Hence why he was eventually ousted from the team at Valencia, a side with top wingers meaning they had the choice of either playing a lone striker with Aimar behind them and two wingers either side, or playing two forwards to complemenet the wingers and therefore dropping Aimar. Easy choice to make given Aimar's aforementioned lack of contribution.

He's been half decent for Zaragoza whenever I've seen him play, but he'd often not be in the game for large periods.

As always, its a risk, a pretty big one as he could easily be another Duff, but it could pay off extremely well in the current formation, because that slot currently occupied by Owen is perfect for Aimar. Plus, its that Keegan factor, we should know more than anyone just how well Keegan can use players with flair and ability in their locker. Look at the transformation of players like Butt and Barton under Keegan, going from woefully mediocre to relatively decent/impressive, then imagine him doing that with someone like Aimar - we could be laughing if he pulls it off.

Would he get enough time in the PL? Getting on a bit and has had a couple of bad inj iirc.

Guest Jawesome

If we can get him on the cheap on a short term contract of some sort then wheres the problem?  Maybe a pay-as-you-play deal would be good?

You just don't know what the hell you're supposed to read and believe.

It goes against everything in the decent article that came out a couple days ago, the whole blueprint thing.

I want a bucket of sand.

Guest Jawesome

Maybe a pay-as-you-play deal would be good?

well he wont come here then

Maybe not, but we shouldn't push the boat out for him if he's been shite the past 5 years.  It should be him trying to secure a contract with the likes of us.

Guest Heneage

the Portugese press by in large is full of shit, Record claimed Benfica had signed Carlos Martins and Pongolle last week.

He'd flop in England/

My thoughts too. You have to be pretty exceptional to make it as a little guy in the Premierleague and I dont think he's that good.

i.e. a Modric?

I have my doubts :)

He'd flop in England/

My thoughts too. You have to be pretty exceptional to make it as a little guy in the Premierleague and I dont think he's that good.

i.e. a Modric?

I have my doubts :)

don't doubt about it man... pray he'll be shit O0