Pablo Aimar joins Benfica

morgs

Tonight's Chron is saying Newcastle definitely expect to sign him within 48 hours.

How do you know what the Chron says at 10:55 ?

ITK man.

Fkn hell Skirge!

Before anyone gets carried away, it's more than likely this is Aimar's agent trying to get more money from Benfica. £7m for a 28yr old doesn't tie in with Ashley's current player recruitment policy of younger players so I would be surprised if there is much in it.

Are you ITK?

a mate of a mate who's ITK (i know i know, so don't read on if you don't want to) reckons during the meeting that keegan was "summoned" to he was told in no uncertain terms there's an age limit being imposed on transfers, 24 years old was mentioned but that seems a bit obstructive to me, comes from someone working at the club

point is, whether you believe this or not, it's highly highly likely to be true in some way or other given the noises this board are making about wages/player signings/developing the youth system

i'd be fucken amazed if we went for the likes of deco/henry, so much so i'd actually bet money we'll not sign anyone of that nature unless they come without a transfer fee and are on short/flexible contracts

we'd better get with reality kids, i just can't see transfers like this happening no matter how good they may be....

I've heard similar, but not quite so black and white.

Big money will be spent on younger players only, though older players will be signed if they are available for lower fees and aren't looking for a massive payday (so Dunne would be considered but Henry not etc)

If Aimar's not looking for big wages and looking to resurrect his career, then all power to the board. He's a much better player than he's shown over the past season and if KK can reinvigorate him, then we've got a midfielder who's as good as any on his day (and that's not something that you can say about anyone).

I'd be surprised if anything as absolute as a specific age limit is imposed on our dealings. Yes, the focus will be on younger players but that doesn't rule out the signing of one or two more experienced players to bring some quality to the team for now.

I'd be cautiously happy with Aimar, like you say he's been one of the best creative midfielders in the world on his day. With De Jong as well I'd be well chuffed.

In response to what someone said a bit earlier, Aimar can definitely play out wide (think Arteta i.e. starting out wide but still influencing the game by getting into dangerous positions all over the pitch).

Along with Jonas I think if we sign Aimar they will both start out wide. I think in this scenario it is very likely that Martins will move on to be replaced by an Adebayor or Drogba type to partner Owen.

Someone also mentioned that £7 million would be a lot for a 28 year old but maybe not. It is likely to only be in stallments considering Zaragoza's position of need. Probably £4 million upfront and the remaining depending on appearances etc.

Oh yeah forgot to mention ...

People need to chill out with the whole Keegan said he didn't want any South Americans thing.

He was talking about bringing players in straight from South America to the premier league, which prem clubs hardly ever do. They usually come to the prem after playing in other european countries for a little while.

I think Keegan was just commenting on our scouting of young players in South America anyway. He was just saying it was a tough step straight from there to the prem league.

http://www.bolton.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=113919

Exclusive, Mr Nixon? You`re having a laugh!

Bolton fans will be used to the witless outpourings of Daily Mirror muppet, Alan 'Porky` Nixon, a man whose finger, is most definitely off the pulse. It was he who broke the news that both Kevin Nolan and El Hadji Diouf were to follow Sam Allardyce out of the door. The idea that Newcastle jail bird Joey Barton was on his way to the Reebok, was also the product of Nixon`s fevered imagination.

The country`s least informed football journalist finally got something right yesterday, as he reported on the signing of Johan Elmander. This was presented, as a 'Daily Mirror Exclusive`

By this stage the deal had already been picked up by The Daily Mail, The Guardian, The Times and the Sun, amongst others. This site reported the news at around 4pm - the day before.

The Mirror`s unique take on the tale? Apparently the finer points of the transfer where thrashed out a fish restaurant in Cheshire. Wow. What an important detail. How could we have survived not knowing that? Come on Al, you can do better than that.

Guest shearer_206

This thread is getting as out of control as the Arda & Gomis ones!!  :rolleyes:

And yet no one is dead or anything.

What do you want to talk about then?

Legitimate transfer stories would be a good start, maybe ones with a good source to back them up. Where is this one from? Sun, Mirror, or maybe Tottenham Hotspuds very own Daily Mail... !

Guest icemanblue

Oh yeah forgot to mention ...

People need to chill out with the whole Keegan said he didn't want any South Americans thing.

He was talking about bringing players in straight from South America to the premier league, which prem clubs hardly ever do. They usually come to the prem after playing in other european countries for a little while.

I think Keegan was just commenting on our scouting of young players in South America anyway. He was just saying it was a tough step straight from there to the prem league.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was really starting to worry.

This thread is getting as out of control as the Arda & Gomis ones!!  :rolleyes:

And yet no one is dead or anything.

What do you want to talk about then?

Legitimate transfer stories would be a good start, maybe ones with a good source to back them up. Where is this one from? Sun, Mirror, or maybe Tottenham Hotspuds very own Daily Mail... !

Okay ... well when you find one let us know. In the meantime we'll be in here. You can wait outside.

:razz: