Paul Ince confirmed as new Blackburn manager

Guest Coubury

Guest Heneage

tbh a little bit disappointed in shearer, you have to question either his ambition/desire to actually be a manager, or his arrogance thinking he can come in and manage NUFC without getting experience elsewhere.

Or whether or not he's been guaranteed the Newcastle job when Keegan finishes.

I hope he has experience when he takes it.

And what type of plan are you thinking?

tbh a little bit disappointed in shearer, you have to question either his ambition/desire to actually be a manager, or his arrogance thinking he can come in and manage NUFC without getting experience elsewhere.

This! he's a bit of wimp really.

I've got a feeling that most of the people who wanted him for the Blackburn job think he will fail and would rather say "told you so" and get him out of the running for our next managerial change. 

I don't blame him for his decision.  First of all, it's a s*** job really.  No possibility of real success.  They have no money, an average squad and he'll probably be forced to sell Bentley.  Second, players like Klinsmann and Van Basten went from no experience to success with top jobs without "proving themselves" by taking a lower league or mid table job first.  He could potentially get offered something much better in the future (and I don't necessarily mean the Newcastle job).

I've got a feeling that most of the people who wanted him for the Blackburn job think he will fail and would rather say "told you so" and get him out of the running for our next managerial change. 

I don't blame him for his decision.  First of all, it's a s*** job really.  No possibility of real success.   They have no money, an average squad and he'll probably be forced to sell Bentley.  Second, players like Klinsmann and Van Basten went from no experience to success with top jobs without "proving themselves" by taking a lower league or mid table job first.  He could potentially get offered something much better in the future (and I don't necessarily mean the Newcastle job).

They've won a cup and a league title more recently than us.. plus they've finished above us for 2 seasons in a row.

And they have a better squad than us. I wouldn't write Rovers off so quickly.

The press now seem to think he has not got the bottle to be a manager :lol: who can blame him for not wanting to jump into management. He has penty of time to choose his next career move no need to rush into it if he is not 100% sure its the right thing for him..

The press now seem to think he has not got the bottle to be a manager :lol: who can blame him for not wanting to jump into management. He has penty of time to choose his next career move no need to rush into it if he is not 100% sure its the right thing for him..

And where will he go now of he wants to be a manager? he's already turned down two of his former clubs and there's no reason why anybody else will give him a job with no experience.

I don't blame him for his decision.  First of all, it's a s*** job really.  No possibility of real success.   They have no money, an average squad and he'll probably be forced to sell Bentley.  Second, players like Klinsmann and Van Basten went from no experience to success with top jobs without "proving themselves" by taking a lower league or mid table job first.  He could potentially get offered something much better in the future (and I don't necessarily mean the Newcastle job).

They've won a cup and a league title more recently than us.. plus they've finished above us for 2 seasons in a row.

So have Leicester and Boro.... they'll never win the Premiership again..

Once again.. what is a good job at Blackburn?

They've peaked. They can't compete with the teams around them in the transfer market. Hughes knew that he couldn't take them any further than they are now.

Why take a job when you really can't improve much on what the other manage achieved?

They've peaked. They can't compete with the teams around them in the transfer market. Hughes knew that he couldn't take them any further than they are now.

Why take a job when you really can't improve much on what the other manage achieved?

a good job for shearer would be maintaining a decent mid-table side, with maybe a cup run every few years. hughes has built a good side with some fairly solid foundations that he couldve inherited, adding a few players, i imagine theyd have a decent amount of money, as even teams coming from the championship can afford to spend £30m or £40m. there's also the fact he'd have an affinity with the club, have fans on his side, who would be patient and prepared to stick with him. he'll only get that at blackburn, soton or nufc. he's obv passed up the opportunity at the former and it looks like under ashley we wont offer him the job without prior experience. blackburn was an ideal opportunity to go straight into a premiership job, skipping the type of hard work paul ince is doing in lower leagues. that he turns it down means you have to question his desire to manage.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00349/shearer385_349623a.jpg

Alan Shearer has informed Blackburn Rovers that he may be persuaded to swap the comfort of the television studio for the stresses and strains of management by returning to Ewood Park to succeed Mark Hughes. The former England captain has told his former club that he would be interested in being interviewed for their vacancy and that he believes he has the quality and the hunger to drive the club forward.

Although Shearer's name was among the first in the frame when Hughes left for Manchester City last week, there were doubts whether he would be willing to turn his back on his lucrative role as a studio analyst for the BBC. However, he is understood to have been approached by the club and to have indicated that he would be happy to compete with Paul Ince, his former England team-mate, for the position.

Worth reposting the original article just to show how wrong the press get it.

a good job for shearer would be maintaining a decent mid-table side, with maybe a cup run every few years. hughes has built a good side with some fairly solid foundations that he couldve inherited, adding a few players, i imagine theyd have a decent amount of money, as even teams coming from the championship can afford to spend £30m or £40m. there's also the fact he'd have an affinity with the club, have fans on his side, who would be patient and prepared to stick with him. he'll only get that at blackburn, soton or nufc. he's obv passed up the opportunity at the former and it looks like under ashley we wont offer him the job without prior experience. blackburn was an ideal opportunity to go straight into a premiership job, skipping the type of hard work paul ince is doing in lower leagues. that he turns it down means you have to question his desire to manage.

So the best job he could possibly do is maintain their current position?

If you can't take a team forward there's no point taking it.

So the best job he could possibly do is maintain their current position?

If you can't take a team forward there's no point taking it.

no, that's not the best job he can do, that's not what i'm saying at all.

i'm saying it would be very difficult to fail (if he believes he has managerial ability), all he has to do is keep them around mid-table.

Allardyce rejected in favour of Ince apparently :lol:

Good decision for them, they'd be better with a younger manager a la Hughes as opposed to Allardyce because where Ince will try to improve the squad, Allardyce will attempt to dismantle and rebuild what is already a strong squad.

Guest teepee

my comments from another thread:

michael laudrup is apparently an option for new blackburn boss - not sure his style is suited for the epl tbh

he likes to play an attacking style, and i reckon that he might get in trouble against the more solid teams in england

on the positive side bentley, santa cruz and gamst fit into his philosophy very well

After managing to catch a bit of Ince's MK Dons this season I was very surprised at the quality of football they played. Really good to watch but still showed a lot of desire and committment. I think he'll do well.

This surely is the final nail on the coffin for Allardyce. A young, inexperienced, league one manager hired ahead of him. Big Sam is going to have to step down to the championship in order to get back into footy management. For Blackburn to turn you down ... ha ha ha ha ha ha

So that's Dalglish, Robson, Souness and Allardyce whose managerial careers have been in/definitely crucified following stints here. Crimony.

I wouldn't include Robson in that group though.

Sure, his health has declined, but he was willing to go back into management. There was a couple of jobs that came around; Hearts sticks out. He wouldn't go there because the Chairman wanted an influence on the teamsheets and Bobby was having none of it.