Women on football

James

Apologies to catmag, toonlass and toon amy, but it is that time of year when non-football fans have regular football forced onto their TV screens and inevitably say something stupid. What are your experiences?

While I was watching Turkey vs Portugal:

Female housemate: Ronaldo doesn't deserve to be doing well for Portugal.

Me: Why?

Housemate: Because he doesn't play for them when Man Utd are playing.

:lol:

Yeah, my missus struggles to seperate nations from teams too bless her.

I've heard comments before like "Why's Alan Shearer playing for England? I thought he played for Newcastle?"

I keep explaining it to her, but she keeps asking the same questions:

"Why's Michael Owen playing for England? I thought he played for Newcastle?"

Btw, is it just me that has an automatic and uncontrollable feeling of distrust when someone utters the words 'I don't really follow football'? :blush:

I always give a disappointed sigh and look suitably unimpressed for a moment before changing the subject. :lol:

Real men follow football.

FACT.

Btw, is it just me that has an automatic and uncontrollable feeling of distrust when someone utters the words 'I don't really follow football'? :blush:

No - if someone (be it a man or a woman) isn't into football, that doesn't make me feel differently about them on its own.

What I really DO hate though is those people who really aren't into football 99% of the time, but then pretend they are on 'fashionable' occasions e.g. World/Euro Champs, if there is an English club in the CL final etc.   F*** OFF!  YOU DON'T WATCH FOOTBALL THE OTHER 364 DAYS OF THE YEAR SO STOP PRETENDING YOU DO NOW!  (Also, these people *always* voice their worthless opinions about the 1 game a year they do watch, screaming at the telly for the manager to sub Shearer cos he hit the bar from 35 yards or summat - drives me up the wall!  :angry:)

While watching Russia v Cameroon in the World Cup many years ago the girlfriend at the time watched quietly for a few minutes and then asked "Which ones are the Russians?"

Yeah she was thick as pig shit.

Guest Jawesome

My German is quite well educated on football actually.  She's a Werder Bremen fan from Düsseldorf and her favourite player is Philip Lahm apparently.  She didn't have a clue who Alan Shearer was though  :weep:

While watching Russia v Cameroon in the World Cup many years ago the girlfriend at the time watched quietly for a few minutes and then asked "Which ones are the Russians?"

Yeah she was thick as pig shit.

Guest Slippery Sam

Yeah she was thick as pig s***.

I'd love to see you do a photo like the one above, Cath. Nice.  :snod: :snod:  :smitten:

Yeah she was thick as pig s***.

I'd love to see you do a photo like the one above, Cath. Nice.  :snod: :snod:  :smitten:

Have a word with yourself, and your male urges.

Was watching an FA Cup game a few months back, think it was Man U v Arsenal where Man U thumped them.

Girlfriend was swanning about in the kitchen, no interest in football at all. The pundits were talking away at half time when she asks "Who's the hot guy?". Given that the three fellas on screen were Shearer, Linekar and Hanson I had to ask which one she meant.

Apparently Alan Shearer is pretty hot.  ???

Was watching an FA Cup game a few months back, think it was Man U v Arsenal where Man U thumped them.

Girlfriend was swanning about in the kitchen, no interest in football at all. The pundits were talking away at half time when she asks "Who's the hot guy?". Given that the three fellas on screen were Shearer, Linekar and Hanson I had to ask which one she meant.

Apparently Alan Shearer is pretty hot.  ???

Well duh.

It's not just you, the way it's being said always implies that they "like" football, but don't follow it, and I think that's what bothers me most. They think they know enough to have valid opinions, but really they are just as clueless as MaetihS or whatever his name is.

Apologies to catmag, toonlass and toon amy, but it is that time of year when non-football fans have regular football forced onto their TV screens and inevitably say something stupid. What are your experiences?

While I was watching Turkey vs Portugal:

Female housemate: Ronaldo doesn't deserve to be doing well for Portugal.

Me: Why?

Housemate: Because he doesn't play for them when Man Utd are playing.

It is extremely wrong for anyone not to like football, male or female. I think some women just act dumb on purpose mind. Especially some of my friends whenever football is mentioned.

What drives me mental though is when people go on about how much they don't like it. No ones forcing them to like it, are they?