Aaron Spear

Dokko

Seems to be without a club at age 23, jesus.

His last tweet was

"Gli uomini non sanno apprezzare e misurare che la fortuna degli altri. La propria, mai."

"Piece in the oven, folks. Incipit: You can not think to move for 90 minutes in a garden full of rattlesnakes without being bitten"

Always find the development, or lack thereof, of these players so fascinating.  Wasn't Zamblera capped by quite a few Italian representative sides?  And I seem to remember Tozer costing a million or something?  And they just turn out to be utter crap.

Not all youth players who look good make it, it's a percentage of a percentage that go on to do well.

The best method, as proven throughout the past 20-30 years, is to have them in your club from the age of 8,9,10 upwards and school them in the 'way of the club' - much better chance for them to grow into useful players. The few gems from the lower divisions are few and far between, probably one or two per season get signed from the football league by a Premier League club that actually turn out to be useful. Southampton have supplied loads, but they aren't really a football league club, they've always had the stature/recruitment of a PL club in my books.

If you want good, young players that might develop, your best chance is to sign them from a PL team with a good academy set-up. And they cost a bomb. I haven't done much research on the numbers, but the only players I can recall who have come from relative obscurity who have risen above their station after being signed by a PL club as a young player are Raheem Sterling and Joe Hart. Few and far between..

Instead of ploughing millions into 1/100 chancers of making it, put the money into the academy and local youth recruitment.

The best method, as proven throughout the past 20-30 years, is to have them in your club from the age of 8,9,10 upwards and school them in the 'way of the club' - much better chance for them to grow into useful players. The few gems from the lower divisions are few and far between, probably one or two per season get signed from the football league by a Premier League club that actually turn out to be useful. Southampton have supplied loads, but they aren't really a football league club, they've always had the stature/recruitment of a PL club in my books.

:bigi:

The best method, as proven throughout the past 20-30 years, is to have them in your club from the age of 8,9,10 upwards and school them in the 'way of the club' - much better chance for them to grow into useful players.

The problem with this approach of course is that you don't spend much time looking at players who don't really show any promise until they are 12-14, or even those who aren't that into football but turn out to be quite good at it.

That is why so many academy players plummet through the leagues, by the time they've stopped training full time and have to get a job to balance with playing, their fitness and strength drop and it becomes clear that the players at the non-league level are technically better players.

Offiong was utter garbage at Blyth. Looked like he's never kicked a ball in his life. Don't even remember Brittain playing for Blyth- a look of the records show he managed a mighty three games before moving on.

Always find the development, or lack thereof, of these players so fascinating.  Wasn't Zamblera capped by quite a few Italian representative sides?  And I seem to remember Tozer costing a million or something?  And they just turn out to be utter crap.

Went on loan to Sampdoria & Roma from here didn't he? :lol:

Kadar was a strange one, always thought he looked steady when he played.

Wasn't there some rumour that he would get really nervous before matches, to the extent it would make him ill? Sure I remember reading that on here or another forum.

Kadar was a strange one, always thought he looked steady when he played.

Wasn't there some rumour that he would get really nervous before matches, to the extent it would make him ill? Sure I remember reading that on here or another forum.

That was Alan Hansen man.

Mark Doninger and Nicky Deverdicks also played in Iceland. These deals with north-eastern players going to Iceland are apparently facilitated by someone called Nick McReery I hear.

There was a huge amount of hype around Doninger when I was a kid. Played against him a few times and he always destroyed us. In hindsight it's obvious he never had ant great ability, just the physique of a 20 year old at 13.