Danny Guthrie signed from Liverpool on 4 year deal

Guest Redcar Mag

Interesting to read the difference between their comments then, when he was with them, and now he's joined us. Sour grapes or what?

Happens with every club's fans everywhere, including us.  We're no better (and no worse) than any other club's set of fans for this kind of thing: there is a bazillion-page thread on Luka Modric on these boards to prove it...

Fair comment.

There's a blog by Luke Edwards on the ic Newcastle website which I do rather agree with. Basically, I fear for this lad if he doesn't get off to a good start. There's such a lot of scepticism about him that it might not take much for the crowd to be on his case and potentially ruin his confidence. Hopefully we'll give the lad a chance.

Guest Mcdonald36

He'll do well here. Good player, quiet hardworking lad, good attitude. The fans will love him.

My brother is a Liverpool fan who I think knows his stuff, reckons he's a really good signing for £2m.

Best asset is his passing, which we need in the middle of the field. Also quite a confident player, willing to recieve the ball in tight spaces. Loves throwing himself into tackles as well. Lacks the engine to be a really top midfielder, but generally a very solid player who he thinks will keep Barton out of the team even if we hang onto him and he gets back fully fit.

So I'm a lot more positive about this signing after talking to him about it, as tbh I'd never really seen enough of Guthrie to form a proper opinion, and had gotten the idea from somewhere that he's a bit of a grafter. But seems he's got a bit more about him than that.

Guest Mcdonald36

He'll do well here. Good player, quiet hardworking lad, good attitude. The fans will love him.

Smith was considered that before he signed, now we all hate the c***!

Smith has always been average, and an angry gobshite, there's a difference.

Nonsense tbh

The guy blatantly can't play football and is just a wannabe tough guy. He just runs around the pitch with that stupid scowl on his face but in reality is just a skinny guy who can't hold the ball up and easily gets shoved off the ball.

It's just all an act, and after he has been shoved of the ball a good number of times which exposes how pathetically weak he is, he resorts to ugly mistimed tackles to prove his manhood. In his mind his pride is restored. In our minds he only exagerates his gross ineptitude.

I have hardly seen him play, but tbh I'm really looking forward to seeing him in action. People moan of him being a liverpool reject. So what? That means liverpool saw something in him, but have decided not to keep him. That doesn't mean he doesn't have talent. He will grow and mature in time aswell. The stint a bolton only helped him, and I think he will have a great future for newcastle.

Him being seen as not good enough already by some may be an advantage. On the whole Sibierski was pretty poor for us but because he was seen as "da worst signing eva omg, wtf!!" a couple of half decent performances and goals and he was a "legend".

Guest Rushian

I like the fact that Guthrie was a Liverpool reserve captain. We need moree captains in the team.

He was head and shoulders above everyone in the reserves at the time but was never going to break through in central midfield when the squad contained Sissoko, Alonso, Gerrard and Hamann (later replaced by Mascherano) and central midfield has been our strongest area for a number of years.

He likes to retain possession and has a good eye for a pass. He played very well down at Southampton and more than held his own at Bolton despite the Megson-induced change back to boot-it-high-boot-it-long football. Could maybe do with a year on a steak and guinness diet to build himself up.

I think he'll do well for you. And certainly better than some of your midfielders did last season.

I like the fact that Guthrie was a Liverpool reserve captain. We need moree captains in the team.

He was head and shoulders above everyone in the reserves at the time but was never going to break through in central midfield when the squad contained Sissoko, Alonso, Gerrard and Hamann (later replaced by Mascherano) and central midfield has been our strongest area for a number of years.

He likes to retain possession and has a good eye for a pass. He played very well down at Southampton and more than held his own at Bolton despite the Megson-induced change back to boot-it-high-boot-it-long football. Could maybe do with a year on a steak and guinness diet to build himself up.

I think he'll do well for you. And certainly better than some of your midfielders did last season.

A ringing endorsement indeed. So he played better than the worst midfield in the league?

A ringing endorsement indeed. So he played better than the worst midfield in the league?

Why have some people got to put a negative slant on everything?  Lighten up man.

We've got more than most.

Viduka

Cacapa

Beye

Geremi

Smith

Taylor(U21)

Owen

Given?? I think, Ireland at some point

BANG ON!