Penalties

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Definitely the worst way to end a football match, but what else could be done in all seriousness?

For what they are they're exciting and tense for the neutral viewer and you appreciate them more after a dull 120 minutes as we've just experienced. They're just horrible when your club is involved though.

A horrible way to lose but the only way to decide a game that's been level after so long.

It's not feasible for finals because of costs but in a hypothetical perfect world, I'd like to go back to replays for finals - semis, quarters is fine, makes it more exciting but winning a cup because of a shootout is not only a shit way to lose but a shit way to win.

I'd like to see them experiment with a different method.  Someone (might have been on here) suggested that after 30 minutes of extra time, each side must remove 1 player every 2 minutes until a goal is scored.  Would be more entertaining than a lottery and would actually settle a football match with football.

In the NASL, back in the seventies, they used to have shootouts. You got five seconds to shoot the ball in a one on one situation vs the keeper. Kind of like the loading menu in FIFA 08. Wouldn't mind that at all.

TBH, when it really matters, you do fine.

aye righto

I refer you to what must have been the most important penalty shootout in your history,  League Cup 4th round 06/07, facing the mighty Watford at Vicarage Road. You wankers won.

TBH, when it really matters, you do fine.

aye righto

I refer you to what must have been the most important penalty shootout in your history,  League Cup 4th round 06/07, facing the mighty Watford at Vicarage Road. You wankers won.

sorry i forgot. was that the one after 37 replays

Guest LucaAltieri

Should be decided on bookings. Team with the least bookings wins.

Or corners. I'm quite partial to a good corner.

Maybe throw-in mileage. For every throw-in the 4th official measures from where the ball actually went out of play to where the throw-in was eventually taken from. The team that can get away with racking up the most mileage wins.

Maybe we could decide it on Beckhams. The keepers have to stand on the edge of the 18 yard box then players take turns shooting from their own half. Most goals wins.

There are any number of better ways to decide the winner to be honest. We should probably get the referees to make it up on the spot, get creative.

I'd like to see them experiment with a different method.  Someone (might have been on here) suggested that after 30 minutes of extra time, each side must remove 1 player every 2 minutes until a goal is scored.  Would be more entertaining than a lottery and would actually settle a football match with football.

This is exactly what i was thinking!

Think they're great tbh.

And it's not the "lottery" some people would have you believe either. It's not like every player just blasts the ball as hard as possible and hopes for the best, while the keepers randomly pick a side and dive there.

To take a good penalty under such pressure is a great test of a footballers abilities, both mentally and technically.

For goalkeepers its a great test of their abilities too, can you read the players body language well enough to get yourself in a position to make the save?

Obviously there can be a degree of luck involved. Maybe one guy blasts one down the middle and the ball squirms in under the keeper, while someone from the other team can do the same and it catches the keepers leg and rebounds out.

But it's no different from regular play, when games can easily end up being decided by deflections, bad refereeing decisions or any other number of variables.