Penalties

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

In the NASL, back in the seventies, they used to have shootouts. You got five seconds to shoot the ball in a one on one situation vs the keeper. Kind of like the loading menu in FIFA 08. Wouldn't mind that at all.

This sounds so gay.

I LOVE penalties. The measure of a man nh, 1 touch, 1 shot, 1 chance.

Players choke, some become heroes, some become villains..

Football is not only a sport but entertainment and there is nothing more nail-biting and tense than a penalty shoot out.

Love them even though they've rarely been good to me.

In the NASL, back in the seventies, they used to have shootouts. You got five seconds to shoot the ball in a one on one situation vs the keeper. Kind of like the loading menu in FIFA 08. Wouldn't mind that at all.

This sounds so gay.

Football is not only a sport but entertainment and there is nothing more nail-biting and tense than a penalty shoot out.

1 team playing defensive all game hoping for penalties ?

In the US (High School soccer) uses the shootout rather than just Penalties.  The ball is placed on a center mark 35 yards from goal, and the player has 5 seconds to dribble/shoot.  The player must shoot within 5 seconds, keeper can come out and challenge or stay put and wait for the shot.

In the US (High School soccer) uses the shootout rather than just Penalties.  The ball is placed on a center mark 35 yards from goal, and the player has 5 seconds to dribble/shoot.  The player must shoot within 5 seconds, keeper can come out and challenge or stay put and wait for the shot.

Yes this is a gay idea/concept..

It takes too long.. penalties are far more exciting and dramatic.

Ref blows his whistle, the run up, the shot, the dramatic outcome. That's why I love penalties.

They are responsible for some of the best drama ever seen within football.... Baggio '90, Southgate '96.. even Terry's miss was nail-biting dramatic stuff (I had a lot of money riding on Chelsea)..

This sounds so gay.

It's obvious to everyone that playing for shoot-outs is dumb... only if your numerically disadvantaged is it a good idea...

If there was another system stupid teams would do the same thing and wait for whatever

This sounds so gay.

It's obvious to everyone that playing for shoot-outs is dumb... only if your numerically disadvantaged is it a good idea...

If there was another system stupid teams would do the same thing and wait for whatever

steaua......italy on many occasions, if they knew it would end on the pitch then holding out for pens wouldnt happen

i think there great - as long as your not involved in anyway!!

yup... very tense and entertaining watching as a neutral.

i did have a good old chuckle when modric missed against turkey like, though not as much as when c. ronaldo missed in the champions league final.

There are better tests of skill than a single blast at goal. In the 70's, the Americans used a shoot-out, where a player was given the ball 35 yards from goal, and had about 12 seconds to beat the keeper by whatever means they could. FIFA stopped them purely in order to keep the laws of the game uniform throughout the world. That's worth looking at again.

There's a strong element of luck with penalties, because if the keeper guesses the right way, it becomes much more difficult to score. Added to that, refs don't enforce the rule about keepers staying on their line until the ball is kicked. It becomes a matter of how much the keeper can get away with, and for some reason no ref seems to have the nerve to order a kick to be re-taken any more.

I'd probably feel better about them if either Newcastle or England had won one.

As it is I think they're shit, but what's the alternative?

That said I have actually enjoyed watching the shootouts in this tournament. Me and some mates have been betting on each penalty taker to score or miss. I'm quids in so far!

Should just settle it on number of shots on target, or a points decision like in boxing, decided on by the ref (or 4th official) & linesmen. Would encourage positive play during the game.

In the event of a tie after extra time, the winner should be the team that has had the most on-target shots from within the opposition penalty area.

Unworkable, perhaps, but it would stop teams playing boring, negative football.

rubbish but still best method.

it make me remember that penalties legend (italian player)?who his name was?

he never step far back for penalties. just step once then kick.

Signori?

rubbish but still best method.

it make me remember that penalties legend (italian player)?who his name was?

he never step far back for penalties. just step once then kick.

Signori?

ditto! never seen penalties well taken like he did... class

At the end of the game each team should get 3 free kicks.  One in the middle, and 2 either side.  When the ball is in play the game works as normal (each team has 10 + goalkeeper until the ball goes out of play.  So you can shoot or pass or whatever just like a real set piece.  After 3, it's sudden death until there is a winner.

At the end of the game each team should get 3 free kicks.  One in the middle, and 2 either side.  When the ball is in play the game works as normal (each team has 10 + goalkeeper until the ball goes out of play.  So you can shoot or pass or whatever just like a real set piece.  After 3, it's sudden death until there is a winner.

That would have the potential to go on for absolutely ages though surely? :lol:

Gay. Football is settled by who scores the most goals.

There are better tests of skill than a single blast at goal. In the 70's, the Americans used a shoot-out, where a player was given the ball 35 yards from goal, and had about 12 seconds to beat the keeper by whatever means they could. FIFA stopped them purely in order to keep the laws of the game uniform throughout the world. That's worth looking at again.

No it's not it's gay.