The legend of the Shay was way hardcore

Guest Jawesome

Guest Jawesome
"I've been with Newcastle since 1997 and I'll soon be getting a Geordie twang. It's a great football club with fantastic fans, so I have no reason to leave.

"I have three years left on my contract and I am very settled in the North East. I see myself staying at Newcastle for the rest of my career.

"The rehab is going great and I'm feeling great. I've been keeping fit and training hard since my groin operation and in a couple of weeks I'll be able to join up with Newcastle again for the start of pre-season."

From Nufc.com

Whatever some of you might think about some of his more recent performances for us, it's hard to deny the fact that he has been an absolute 100% model professional for us and one of the top goalkeepers in the premier league over the past 8 or so years.  Glad he's staying, and I hope he'll rightfully retain his place between the sticks this season.  In Shay we trust.

I hope he comes back better than ever next season. I was definately in the Harper "camp" at the end of the season and was a believer that Harps deserves his place in goal for next year. However, i will be delighted if Shay comes back in and does the stuff again.

Both have been brilliant pro's and great servants, let the competition begin.

we've been very lucky to have both for so long. When I hear other fans talking about them, its always in high regard, looking forward to seeing both of them battling it out next season again  :coolsmiley:

Guest Heneage

When you think of the Money Bellamys and Dyers of our club were on and they were telling kids to get stuffed for autographs and falling out of Tiger Tiger this bloke has been top. One of my favourite players,  who i've alot of time for.

Guest gbolem

"I've been with Newcastle since 1997 and I'll soon be getting a Geordie twang. It's a great football club with fantastic fans, so I have no reason to leave.

"I have three years left on my contract and I am very settled in the North East. I see myself staying at Newcastle for the rest of my career.

"The rehab is going great and I'm feeling great. I've been keeping fit and training hard since my groin operation and in a couple of weeks I'll be able to join up with Newcastle again for the start of pre-season."

From Nufc.com

Whatever some of you might think about some of his more recent performances for us, it's hard to deny the fact that he has been an absolute 100% model professional for us and one of the top goalkeepers in the premier league over the past 8 or so years.  Glad he's staying, and I hope he'll rightfully retain his place between the sticks this season.  In Shay we trust.

99% model professional. Only blemish was his transfer request when he was dropped for a couple of games.

And rightfully retaining his place in goal? For me that statement applies to Harper. He's earned the shirt with his performances last season, it's now his to lose.

Guest Jawesome

From Nufc.com

99% model professional. Only blemish was his transfer request when he was dropped for a couple of games.

And rightfully retaining his place in goal? For me that statement applies to Harper. He's earned the shirt with his performances last season, it's now his to lose.

Yeah I meant if he gets back to his best, surely then theres no way Harper can compete with him.  And as for the transfer request, who can blame anyone at NUFC around that time for wanting out?

From Nufc.com

Yeah I meant if he gets back to his best, surely then theres no way Harper can compete with him.  And as for the transfer request, who can blame anyone at NUFC around that time for wanting out?

I've completely forgotten about his transfer request. I can't even remember when it happened, would someone please refresh my memory?

Guest 22bnw

Shay is brilliant...just as good as any keeper IMO. Steve Harper is also very good..and he could be at a good club and in the England squad...I've never known a player so loyal

This is great news!! Shay is fantastic! Harper was good last season, but Shay is a much better keeper when he's fit. I think only Alan Shearer can compare himself too what Shay has done for Newcastle the last 10 years...it's absolutely fantastic!

From Nufc.com

I agree 100%. Shay is an unsung hero and hopefully he will come back to his best which we all know is class.

From Nufc.com

Like spitting his dummy out you mean when Harper got in ahead of him before? ;)

From Nufc.com

Shay's a great guy, but roughly translated from pro-football soundbite and agent speak into real world the above means :-

"At this stage in my career there's no chance of Arsenal or any other top club coming in for me and about the best I could do is Celtic so I'm  staying at Newcastle where I earn a fortune and am really well looked after. In future I won't hold the club to ransom if I'm dropped - as they'd probably call my bluff this time - and while I'm on I'll say a few nice things about the fans to keep everything sweet"

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

He is a class keeper that was over used when not fit after being clattered so hard his injuries were the same as those you would receive is a car crash, and because of that his form dipped a bit.

I fully expect to see a new improved Shay Given next season and love his loyally to the club more players around the world should show the same loyally to their cubs..

Guest diddimz

for all teh problems we've had with defenders and the midfield, im glad over the last decade we havent ever had to worry about keeper problems, one of the best pair of keepers in the league, both shown immense loyalty.

for all teh problems we've had with defenders and the midfield, im glad over the last decade we havent ever had to worry about keeper problems, one of the best pair of keepers in the league, both shown immense loyalty.

And yet sometimes for some reason get ridiculed for said loyalty.

Guest Jawesome

And yet sometimes for some reason get ridiculed for said loyalty.

Well he didn't sign that 95 year contract on £10-a-week did he?

Really hope Shay doesn't get the #1 outright at the beginning of the season.  He's been outshone by Harper this season and I feel as though it's Harper's to loose and not Shay's to expect back.  Although Shay's track record with being #2 hasn't been great and I expect some unsettling within the camp until Keegan restores Given to #1 and Harper back to #2.