Jonas Gutierrez signed from Mallorca on 5 year deal

magorific

I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't help feeling a bit worried about our club going through these lengths to attract a player who is certainy not very attractive on the face of it. We are on the verge of acting legally/ethically for a player who hardly anybody on here had ever heard about a week ago and whose pedigree hardly seems to justify the burden. To me, this doesn't reflect very well on NUFC; seems like we are being very, very cheap here and not setting our sights particularly high at the moment..

Saving the pennies for the pounds later on hopefully.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't help feeling a bit worried about our club going through these lengths to attract a player who is certainy not very attractive on the face of it. We are on the verge of acting legally/ethically for a player who hardly anybody on here had ever heard about a week ago and whose pedigree hardly seems to justify the burden. To me, this doesn't reflect very well on NUFC; seems like we are being very, very cheap here and not setting our sights particularly high at the moment..

Yeah, getting an international valued by his club at £8m+ for fuck all is a really bad idea. :idiot2:

Fucking ethics. In professional football. mackems.gif

The complaints on here are getting more farcical by the day.

Yeah, getting an international valued by his club at £8m+ for f*** all is a really bad idea. :idiot2:

f***ing ethics. In professional football. mackems.gif

The complaints on here are getting more farcical by the day.

Penny wise, pound foulish so far by the looks of it..

Thats why he puts the mask on when he scores man...

oh and you're talking shite n all

oh and you're talking s**** n all

So I guess you knew all about him before we signed him?

I dont care if I've never heard of the bloke, the scouting set-up are happy to get him, as is Keegan (presumably since he has final say on transfers), so I'll quite happily sit back and wait and see if he turns out to be a good signing for us.

No one has said we've acted improperly have they?

He wouldnt be a better player if we paid £8m for him, just more costly.

If it is a gamble then its not really that much of an expensive one so why not try it?

Dunno about anyone else, but the whole thing sounds like fucking good business to me. :lol:

And tbh, i'm pretty chuffed that the guys at the top have done their research and actually found out that top players can be pinched this way - for relative threepence. We've shown more nouse - and been more clever/cunning - than every other Premer Leauge team by completing this signing.

He wouldnt be a better player if we paid £8m for him, just more costly.

Basically the crux of it. We'd be nice and ethical that way though...

I knew someone would complain about it, eventually. :lol:

From what I'd seen/read of him I gathered he was a decent player but if a current Argentine international is willing to buy out his contract to move to us I can only see this a positive sign regardless of how he turns out.

Dunno about anyone else, but the whole thing sounds like fucking good business to me. :lol:

And tbh, i'm pretty chuffed that the guys at the top have done their research and actually found out that top players can be pinched this way - for relative threepence. We've shown more nouse - and been more clever/cunning - than every other Premer Leauge team by completing this signing.

Exactly

What the fuck does that matter? Do you know anything about him? What if he turns out to be absolutely class? In which case Ashley and Wise and co would deserve a medal for pulling off such a fucking masterstroke, which is what it'll be.

I'm fairly sure Ashley does want to be more careful with spending, and i haven't got a massive problem with that. He came in and we were on the brink of going out of business so he's obviously got his head screwed on and he's making sure we don't plummet to those depths again. If that's showing a lack of ambition or whatever, then fair enough - personally, i think that's bollocks. Getting a quality player in for peanuts is a damn good start and, like i say, bloody good business.

It's all been very shrewd and very clever iyam. One of the most pleasing things about this signing is that we're clearly doing our homework beforehand, rather being totally blaze like the Citys and West Hams of the world.

Well. we'll see. I hope he pans out to be a terrific signing if we actually end up getting him (which seems debatable at the moment, which in itself is ridiculous enough), but we are talking about a mid 20's twice (!) South American international player who has played for a midtable (at best) club in Spain and hasn't been snapped up by a top club from Spain during his time there. As I said, now it appears he has signed for us I will be hoping he turns out to be a really good player for us, but if we were linked with him before actually signing him I can't help but feel many people wouldn't be as enthousiastic as they seem now we have signed him without the press having a clue..

I applaud the club for being innovative in the way they have signed this player but at the same time it doesn't sit really well.. I mean, how would we all feel if a midtable Spanish or Italian club would snap up Michael Owen using this loophole?

Other than that, I would ask the question: was this player really worth it?

Well. we'll see. I hope he pans out to be a terrific signing if we actually end up getting him (which seems debatable at the moment, which in itself is ridiculous enough), but we are talking about a mid 20's twice (!) South American international player who has played for a midtable (at best) club in Spain and hasn't been snapped up by a top club from Spain during his time there. As I said, now it appears he has signed for us I will be hoping he turns out to be a really good player for us, but if we were linked with him before actually signing him I can't help but feel many people wouldn't be as enthousiastic as they seem now we have signed him without the press having a clue..

I applaud the club for being innovative in the way they have signed this player but at the same time it doesn't sit really well.. I mean, how would we all feel if a midtable Spanish or Italian club would snap up Michael Owen using this loophole?

Other than that, I would ask the question: was this player really worth it?

Impossible for us to lose Owen I've discovered, he had to give notice of it within 15 fdays of evertom (a)

Any player is worth £1m in today's market. You're making assumptions about his abililty based on: (a.) how well his club are doing, and (b.) the fact that Barcelona haven't signed him. What a load of tosh mate!

I can't see how anyone can complain with this transfer at all; however i do agree that it'd be a serious kick in the knackers if it ever happened to one of our own. But that's football.

I prefer the word 'Merky'.

This transfer is Merky. A quick search on google revealed 'Merky' to be the name of a pet squirrel of somebodies and also a way to describe a song.

The word 'merkin' however brought up much, much worse images...

Oooh good grief. I never knew they existed. :undecided:

What the f*** does that matter? Do you know anything about him? What if he turns out to be absolutely class? In which case Ashley and Wise and co would deserve a medal for pulling off such a f***ing masterstroke, which is what it'll be.

I'm fairly sure Ashley does want to be more careful with spending, and i haven't got a massive problem with that. He came in and we were on the brink of going out of business so he's obviously got his head screwed on and he's making sure we don't plummet to those depths again. If that's showing a lack of ambition or whatever, then fair enough - personally, i think that's bollocks. Getting a quality player in for peanuts is a damn good start and, like i say, bloody good business.

It's all been very shrewd and very clever iyam. One of the most pleasing things about this signing is that we're clearly doing our homework beforehand, rather being totally blaze like the Citys and West Hams of the world.

He's a quality player now, is he? A fortnight ago I bet you'd never heard about him..? I like to stick to facts, and so far it seems he is not a terrific goalscorer (6 in the whole of his career), not great at assists (5 in the last season, which was by far his club's best in his time with the club), he's in his mid 20's yet hardly anybody had ever heard of him. You have to wonder if this is the sort of signing that will allow us to get CLOSER to the top 4. From what I've seen and heard, it doesn't look like this player is anywhere near that level. Combined with the low price we pay for him (albeit in a bit of a cunning way) this entire affair doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that the club acknowledge what is required to get us back near the  level we need to be competing at (let's conveniently call it qualifying for Europe)..

Care to debate Dave? Financially I am sure we have done a good deal here, but does this signing make ypu feel confident that the club are aware of what is needed to compete in the Premiership, because to me it certainly doesn't?

Care to debate Dave? Financially I am sure we have done a good deal here, but does this signing make ypu feel confident that the club are aware of what is needed to compete in the Premiership, because to me it certainly doesn't?

I'll wait and see how he plays, thanks.

I know nothing about him, but he's an Argentinian international (however you want to play it down, he is) of the right age. We've potentially got him for peanuts after Portsmouth (you know - one of our competitors in the Premier League) failed to get him in January with an £8m bid. Sounds alright to me at this stage.

What the f*** does that matter? Do you know anything about him? What if he turns out to be absolutely class? In which case Ashley and Wise and co would deserve a medal for pulling off such a f***ing masterstroke, which is what it'll be.

He's a quality player now, is he? A fortnight ago I bet you'd never heard about him..? I like to stick to facts, and so far it seems he is not a terrific goalscorer (6 in the whole of his career), not great at assists (5 in the last season, which was by far his club's best in his time with the club), he's in his mid 20's yet hardly anybody had ever heard of him. You have to wonder if this is the sort of signing that will allow us to get CLOSER to the top 4. From what I've seen and heard, it doesn't look like this player is anywhere near that level. Combined with the low price we pay for him (albeit in a bit of a cunning way) this entire affair doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that the club acknowledge what is required to get us back near the  level we need to be competing at (let's conveniently call it qualifying for Europe)..

Gerraway man. I was quite clearly being hypothetical.

As for the rest of your post, i'm just gonna refer to this quote again.

Any player is worth £1m in today's market. You're making assumptions about his abililty based on: (a.) how well his club are doing, and (b.) the fact that Barcelona haven't signed him. And (c.) Pointless stats. What a load of tosh mate!

I can't see how anyone can complain with this transfer at all;

It's pretty obvious that you've seen just as much of the guy as me, which is precisely fuck all. If you had, you wouldn't have said his team were mid-table at best, cos they finished 7th in La Liga last season.

Some people will find fault with anything just for the hell of it. Get a grip man.

Maybe it was the likes of Gutierrez and Guiza that propelled them to 7th having been lingering around 15th, 16th, 17th for the last however many seasons?

Anyhow no. That's my debate. This conversation is now terminated. :smug: