Jonas Gutierrez signed from Mallorca on 5 year deal

magorific

Well, it looks like you all truly believe we have signed superman.. You know it's only a showboy thing right? ;)

I just thought it was because he was an ugly cunt but if we've signed a player for next to nowt as reports have shown we have (yes hey may not be true) then I'll be happy, he is a current int'l (might not have played much, but he was picked was his countries biggest recent game vs. Brazil) and he wants to play here and the staff want him here so what is there to lose? At least we are signing people to fill the holes in our gaping squad.

Well, it looks like you all truly believe we have signed superman.. You know it's only a showboy thing right? ;)

Your point doesn't even make sense anyway. If you're not sure he's any good, why then complain at the fact he looks like not costing us much?

Care to respond to my point about Portsmouth getting an £8m bid turned down for him btw?

Love how Pompey were supposedly willing to pay £8m but getting him for peanuts is bad business. :lol:

I'd never heard of Dimitar Berbatov, Pascal Chimbonda, Morten Gamst Pedersen, Habib Beye, Kolo Toure, Robin van Persie, Eduardo da Silva, Luis Nani... I could do this all night. But he was cheap (for reasons that were fuck all to do with his actual value) so he must be shit.

Oh and he's also shit because he's only the right winger from a club who have finished 7th in one of Europe's best two leagues - I reckon we should go after Bentley instead.

Love how Pompey were supposedly willing to pay £8m but getting him for peanuts is bad business. :lol:

Anything to fuck 'Appy 'Arry off is good in my eyes, fucking detest the man.

Your point doesn't even make sense anyway. If you're not sure he's any good, why then complain at the fact he looks like not costing us much?

Care to respond to my point about Portsmouth getting an £8m bid turned down for him btw?

I'm not on about this particular player. I haven't seen much about him and there is always the small chance  that he has just been nothing special until his mid 20's only to become a high class player afterwards. I'm not complaining about this particular player not costing us to much; I hope he has a role to play in our squad, but I will happily admit I AM worried about us chasing targets of this ilk while clubs that we are supposedly competing with are signing players of a much higher pedigree than us at the moment. A while ago we were all laughing at Parky (I believe) for saying we were going to need 100 million to get back in the top four. With the way other clubs are spending money like bever before he may well have been right, and if Ashley thinks he is being smart by lowering our cost structure and getting in players of this level on the cheap I seriously hope it doesn't backfire badly. All in all, I just don't understand all the enthousiasm about this deal. The 8 mill bid by Portsmouth is all paper talk (and we are all to keen these days to discard paper talk as rubbish), and in the end this is a player that we all HOPE will prove to be a good signing, not one any of us was hoping we would sign. In many people's minds he's already our first choice right midfielder: based on what I ask?

I'd never heard of Dimitar Berbatov, Pascal Chimbonda, Morten Gamst Pedersen, Habib Beye, Kolo Toure, Robin van Persie, Eduardo da Silva, Luis Nani... I could do this all night. But he was cheap (for reasons that were fuck all to do with his actual value) so he must be shit.

How could you not hear of habib beye? if i could love a man it would be habib beye. cant wait to see him in action for the first time next season. sunday monday habib beye!

I'd never heard of Dimitar Berbatov, Pascal Chimbonda, Morten Gamst Pedersen, Habib Beye, Kolo Toure, Robin van Persie, Eduardo da Silva, Luis Nani... I could do this all night. But he was cheap (for reasons that were f*** all to do with his actual value) so he must be s***.

Don't blame your limited knowledge of continental football on the rest of us. Doesn't mean any player you don't know is going to be a star in the Prem.. ;)

And to set the record straight, I'm not suggesting he's shit because he's cheap. Anybody interpreting what I am saying is misreading me completely, be it deliberatly or not. All I am saying is that I was hoping (and you were expecting; I remember last year when I got a lot of stick for sitting on the fence with Ashley & Co while the majority on here were saying the only way he would get his money back was by investing big bucks and getting us back in the CL asap) we would be setting our sights highly and would be willing to spend accordingly. All I've been hearing so far is we are trying to trim wages and potentially transfer fees. Nobody in their right minds can deny that this will potentially/likely put us into a weaker position than many of our competitors, who seem to be willing to loosen the purse strings under their (new) guardianships..

I'm not on about this particular player. I haven't seen much about him and there is always the small chance  that he has just been nothing special until his mid 20's only to become a high class player afterwards. I'm not complaining about this particular player not costing us to much; I hope he has a role to play in our squad, but I will happily admit I AM worried about us chasing targets of this ilk while clubs that we are supposedly competing with are signing players of a much higher pedigree than us at the moment. A while ago we were all laughing at Parky (I believe) for saying we were going to need 100 million to get back in the top four. With the way other clubs are spending money like bever before he may well have been right, and if Ashley thinks he is being smart by lowering our cost structure and getting in players of this level on the cheap I seriously hope it doesn't backfire badly. All in all, I just don't understand all the enthousiasm about this deal. The 8 mill bid by Portsmouth is all paper talk (and we are all to keen these days to discard paper talk as rubbish), and in the end this is a player that we all HOPE will prove to be a good signing, not one any of us was hoping we would sign. In many people's minds he's already our first choice right midfielder: based on what I ask?

Erm, no it's not. A direct quote from Mallorca's president.

So this one player is indicative of our entire summer plans is it? ITK?

Who are these 'higher pedigree' players? Modric and Jo I suppose, who else?

I'd never heard of Dimitar Berbatov, Pascal Chimbonda, Morten Gamst Pedersen, Habib Beye, Kolo Toure, Robin van Persie, Eduardo da Silva, Luis Nani... I could do this all night. But he was cheap (for reasons that were f*** all to do with his actual value) so he must be s***.

Oh and he's also s*** because he's only the right winger from a club who have finished 7th in one of Europe's best two leagues - I reckon we should go after Bentley instead.

Your edit makes even less sense.. Nowhere have I suggested he is shit. There's nothing much to suggest he is of the class to make us compete at the top end of the table either unfortunately, which is all I was pointing out. Some people on here will make you believe somebody they had never heard of the day before they signed for NUFC is everything we have been crying out for the day he signs..

Oh and he's also s*** because he's only the right winger from a club who have finished 7th in one of Europe's best two leagues - I reckon we should go after Bentley instead.

Your edit makes even less sense.. Nowhere have I suggested he is shit. There's nothing much to suggest he is of the class to make us compete at the top end of the table either unfortunately, which is all I was pointing out. Some people on here will make you believe somebody they had never heard of the day before they signed for NUFC is everything we have been crying out for the day he signs..

"Nothing much to suggest" - have you ever seen the lad play like?

What's to suggest (to steal Dave's examples) Jo will take Man City higher? Or Modric with Spurs? It's certainly not games in the dross of the Russian or Croatian league.

Oh yeah. The fee.

Unbelievable!  (xx.xxx.xxx.xx)  01:02:39 AM  Viewing the topic The Completed Summer Transfers Thread '08.

I thought they'd be rolling off your tongue tbh. :iamatwat:

Erm, no it's not. A direct quote from Mallorca's president.

So this one player is indicative of our entire summer plans is it? ITK?

Who are these 'higher pedigree' players? Modric and Jo I suppose, who else?

I'd like to see that quote please..

One player may not be indicative, but it's hardly a great statement of intent either..

The players you mention are of a pedigree we hardly possess in our squad and have moved to teams we are supposed to be competing with. Also, I have painfully witnessed the tremendous quality Gomes is over the years in the Dutch competition and will tell you he is easily one of the best goalkeepers in Europe. As it stands, I would take Man City´s, Portsmouth´s, Everton´s and Spurs´squads over ours any day of the week. I hope you are right and I am wrong about our intentions this summer, but so far our actions in this and the last two transfer windows don´t fill me with great confidence, and I don´t think Jonas´capture is a particular reason to celebrate..

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_3773913,00.html

The Spanish club's president Vicente Grande claims that they will be left on the brink of administration if the deal is allowed to stand and has urged world football's governing body to intervene.

Crisis

"Because of our financial crisis, this could really damage us. In fact, it has come at the worst possible time," said Grande.

"We cannot understand the attitude of the player who has done this to force a move to England.

"This matter is not closed because the club has decided to go to FIFA to reclaim our right. The minimum we want to recuperate is the £8million Portsmouth offered us in the winter.''

So, basically, you're just another impatient idiot moaning about this transfer window for no good reason?

I sure am. I need to to be able to tell you I told you so later on.. Do you remember last summer´s and this January´s transfer windows, because there is a pattern to be found..?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_3773913,00.html

The Spanish club's president Vicente Grande claims that they will be left on the brink of administration if the deal is allowed to stand and has urged world football's governing body to intervene.

Crisis

"Because of our financial crisis, this could really damage us. In fact, it has come at the worst possible time," said Grande.

"We cannot understand the attitude of the player who has done this to force a move to England.

"This matter is not closed because the club has decided to go to FIFA to reclaim our right. The minimum we want to recuperate is the £8million Portsmouth offered us in the winter.''

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/3465/nelsonne3.gif

So, basically, you're just another impatient idiot moaning about this transfer window for no good reason?

I sure am. I need to to be able to tell you I told you so later on.. Do you remember last summer´s and this January´s transfer windows, because there is a pattern to be found..?

What's the pattern? How many players who paid off their own contracts did we get?