Jonas Gutierrez signed from Mallorca on 5 year deal

magorific

These are worrying times. Slashing bills and keeping funds tight as well as the recent reports saying MA is selling out....seems to have no end to negativity. Have a strong feeling KK needs to wheel and deal to get players and thus Gutierrez, a player whose track record makes Milner looks like Messi.

That would be the same James Milner who has scored 7 in 119 for Newcastle & Aston Villa these past 4 seasons.

track record includes playtime (he is in and out of the team), assists, importance to club, whether an integral part of the team. Gutierrez is obviously not.

How much Real Mallorca have you seen lately? Baring in mind they qualified for Europe and he was pretty much a regular in the side.

I've said it far too much already and to each their own and all that but I personally am f***ing sick of reading and hearing people complaining about our transfer business this window. Why is it so hard to wait till the end of the window to make fair judgements?

Make the rest of us fans look bad.

'Cos it's cool to moan now then sneak away quietly if things turn out alright. And if things don't, 'I told you so'.

Basically, by predicting doom people can't lose.

??? Or people express their concerns (not the same as moaning) because they are genuinly concerned..?

Seriously, people go on about how much Ashley has spent on us, but including the buyout fee and debt payoff was just the price needed to acquire the club and doesn't directly affect us as supporters. So far, we have barely invested in the playing staff under this new tenure, and I seriously hope the people at the top realise what is required and act accordingly. After one year of sitting on the fence (or being pessimistic according to some, I'd prefer to call it realistic myself) I am yet to be convinced by what Ashley wants for this club..

I've said it far too much already and to each their own and all that but I personally am f***ing sick of reading and hearing people complaining about our transfer business this window. Why is it so hard to wait till the end of the window to make fair judgements?

Make the rest of us fans look bad.

'Cos it's cool to moan now then sneak away quietly if things turn out alright. And if things don't, 'I told you so'.

Basically, by predicting doom people can't lose.

??? Or people express their concerns (not the same as moaning) because they are genuinly concerned..?

Seriously, people go on about how much Ashley has spent on us, but including the buyout fee and debt payoff was just the price needed to acquire the club and doesn't directly affect us as supporters. So far, we have barely invested in the playing staff under this new tenure, and I seriously hope the people at the top realise what is required and act accordingly. After one year of sitting on the fence (or being pessimistic according to some, I'd prefer to call it realistic myself) I am yet to be convinced by what Ashley wants for this club..

100% agree mate, seems like unless you're sitting about in a Prozac induced state of well being then you're being negative and moaning

i'm delighted with MA's off the field stuff and his insistence on investing in youth etc... but if that comes at the expense of investing in the first team then we're in for difficult times

said it before but football has never been richer; isn't it 40-50m per club basic from the TV deal now?  we spent about 10m net last summer and in my eyes are therefore due a big spend this summer, otherwise where is this money going?

surely anyone can forgive a period of settling in for the new owners, that period has now surely passed?

Guest Deep456

These are worrying times. Slashing bills and keeping funds tight as well as the recent reports saying MA is selling out....seems to have no end to negativity. Have a strong feeling KK needs to wheel and deal to get players and thus Gutierrez, a player whose track record makes Milner looks like Messi.

That would be the same James Milner who has scored 7 in 119 for Newcastle & Aston Villa these past 4 seasons.

track record includes playtime (he is in and out of the team), assists, importance to club, whether an integral part of the team. Gutierrez is obviously not.

Here we go again. Another one of those people who thinks he knows it all. Alfonso Alves had a very good goals per game ratio but he's hardly been profilic. How much Mallorca have you seen? He's not world beater but he is certainly an improvement on what we have.

How much did Chelsea pay for that big German bloke who's been absolutely outatanding for the last 5 months since he came back from injury?

Your point being? I would say there is a significant difference in ambition between signing Germany's best player over the last decade and a mid 20's Argentina fringe player. How many times do I/we need to say: it's not about the price of this particular player, it's about a) the level of ambition shown with this transfer and b) our continued underspending on the playing staff. Shall I remind people of our playing staff enforcements in the January transfer window when we were in dire need of some reinforcements: a couple of youngsters and the world renowned Lamine Diatta, whom we've already let go (panic buying anybody?). In the last summer window our income from transfers was higher than our spending. This summer, I hope there will be no hiding place, because this squad can't afford to be further weakened.

How much did Chelsea pay for that big German bloke who's been absolutely outatanding for the last 5 months since he came back from injury?

Your point being? I would say there is a significant difference in ambition between signing Germany's best player over the last decade and a mid 20's Argentina fringe player. How many times do I/we need to say: it's not about the price of this particular player, it's about a) the level of ambition shown with this transfer and b) our continued underspending on the playing staff. Shall I remind people of our playing staff enforcements in the January transfer window when we were in dire need of some reinforcements: a couple of youngsters and the world renowned Lamine Diatta, whom we've already let go (panic buying anybody?). In the last summer window our income from transfers was higher than our spending. This summer, I hope there will be no hiding place, because this squad can't afford to be further weakened.

You're making a fool of yourself.

His concerns aren't totally unfounded but I wish he would stop being so hysterical. It really does seem too much to ask for people to wait and see instead of complaining endlessly.

How's that? We failed to reinforce the defense and midfield in the January window (failing to land Woodgate) even though this was critical at the time, so took a player on a 3 month contract in February after the end of the transfer window (like we did with Bernard earlier). Said player has barely featured and already left, so we are back were we started. The very definition of panic buying if you ask me. Or do you believe this is genuinely a sign of an ambitious long term vision?

We've bought a current Argentine International - positive and fact

We've bid a club record amount for a player - positive and fact

Why are people being so negative?

People are so negative because as keegan said, we need atleast 4 players to go straight in to the starting 11.  We have gotten one now, and we seriously need creativity on our central midfield. We have now lost emre, barton is in jail, so we are left with Smith, Geremi, and butt as our only natural players in central mid. We got zoggy and Milner who can play in the middle, but is better of playing out wide.

If one of our 4 backs get injured, we only have Cacapa and David Edgar to come in for them.  We are currently playing with 3 strikers, and we only have 3 decent strikers, which one of them is injured half of the season. Is given/harper good enough to be our goalies? We have krul who is up and comming, but i would personal love if we went for that russian goalie.

We have a thin squad, and we have gotten rid of more players than we have bought.

Well enough about that..  Jonas Gutierrez is a player many of us dont know about, that is why we are concerned. He doesnt have a good goalscoring record, or assist record. Personally i think we should have gotten a central midfield player, but maybe keegan is thinking of using him as a wingstriker up front, or going back to 4-4-2. 

Is anyone suggesting that the current squad is sufficient for the season ahead?  We still have plenty of time to get players in......how many clubs have signed loads of players so far? We won't know till the transfer window shuts whether the effort that will be going on behind the scenes is good enough. Personally I am not going to get upset about who we haven't signed a week into the transfer window..... 

If you look at the top 8, they all have larger squads than us. They are most likely to buy squad player, and maybe one world class player to make them better.  We had a small squad last season, and we have gotten rid the likes of Emre(was considered 1st team player when he wasnt injured) and Rozenhal(was 1st team player at the start of the season, and I rate him higher than Cacapa). We have gotten one player in, and he isnt a MC or a DC. We need like Keegan said 4 players to walk straight in to the 1st team, but we also lack squad players. If we buy like 8 players in this transfer window, we will still have a small squad.

I dont know what our ambition is for next season, but i think we should aim for a uefa cup spot atleast. Then we need players in quick, because they need to know each other to play good.  If we sign a player in middle the start of august, he will have like 20 days to get to know the other players on the pitch. And would most likely look like Luque when the season starts.

How's that? We failed to reinforce the defense and midfield in the January window (failing to land Woodgate) even though this was critical at the time, so took a player on a 3 month contract in February after the end of the transfer window (like we did with Bernard earlier). Said player has barely featured and already left, so we are back were we started. The very definition of panic buying if you ask me. Or do you believe this is genuinely a sign of an ambitious long term vision?

We didn't sign Woodgate, so do you think we should have got no one in at all to carry us over until the summer. Diatta was only ever an extra body, signed on a short term deal to give us a chance to have a good look at other players rather than panic buying and getting someone in without having a good look at them first.

I would say getting Diatta in as cover for 3 months was the very opposite of panic buying.

And people are wonder what why the media slate us for being impatient.

Dave, serious question: when will you classify this summer transfer period as a success? What positions will need to be filled (first team players or squad strengthening players)? What kind of players should we be looking at (Premiership experience? International experience? From smaller leagues?) What kind of investment in the playing staff do you feel would be sufficient to achieve your aims for next season, and what are those aims..?

Those still worried about how our summer is going. Let's look at our European rivals.

Newcastle - Signed 1

Tottenham - Signed 3

West ham - Signed 1 - a 17-year old

Portsmouth - Signed 1

Man City - Signed 1

Everton - Signed 1 - Player was on loan with them last year anyway

Blackburn - Signed 0

Aston Villa - Signed 1 - Player was on loan with them last year anyway

So 1 team has signed more players than us. I'd say on that basis we are very much on course.

We didn't sign Woodgate, so do you think we should have got no one in at all to carry us over until the summer. Diatta was only ever an extra body, signed on a short term deal to give us a chance to have a good look at other players rather than panic buying and getting someone in without having a good look at them first.

I would say getting Diatta in as cover for 3 months was the very opposite of panic buying.

What had the club been doing before the Jan transfer window? Plan A failed, and it turned out we had no plan B except signing a player who had never played at the required level as a stop gap. If that's not panic buying I don't know what is.. I am quite obviously not saying we should not have got anybody in, I am saying we should have identified long terms solutions long before the January window opened and acted decisively.

We've bought a current Argentine International - positive and fact

We've bid a club record amount for a player - positive and fact

Why are people being so negative?

People are so negative because as keegan said, we need atleast 4 players to go straight in to the starting 11.  We have gotten one now, and we seriously need creativity on our central midfield. We have now lost emre, barton is in jail, so we are left with Smith, Geremi, and butt as our only natural players in central mid. We got zoggy and Milner who can play in the middle, but is better of playing out wide.

If one of our 4 backs get injured, we only have Cacapa and David Edgar to come in for them.  We are currently playing with 3 strikers, and we only have 3 decent strikers, which one of them is injured half of the season. Is given/harper good enough to be our goalies? We have krul who is up and comming, but i would personal love if we went for that russian goalie.

We have a thin squad, and we have gotten rid of more players than we have bought.

Well enough about that..  Jonas Gutierrez is a player many of us dont know about, that is why we are concerned. He doesnt have a good goalscoring record, or assist record. Personally i think we should have gotten a central midfield player, but maybe keegan is thinking of using him as a wingstriker up front, or going back to 4-4-2. 

Is anyone suggesting that the current squad is sufficient for the season ahead?  We still have plenty of time to get players in......how many clubs have signed loads of players so far? We won't know till the transfer window shuts whether the effort that will be going on behind the scenes is good enough. Personally I am not going to get upset about who we haven't signed a week into the transfer window..... 

If you look at the top 8, they all have larger squads than us. They are most likely to buy squad player, and maybe one world class player to make them better.  We had a small squad last season, and we have gotten rid the likes of Emre(was considered 1st team player when he wasnt injured) and Rozenhal(was 1st team player at the start of the season, and I rate him higher than Cacapa). We have gotten one player in, and he isnt a MC or a DC. We need like Keegan said 4 players to walk straight in to the 1st team, but we also lack squad players. If we buy like 8 players in this transfer window, we will still have a small squad.

I dont know what our ambition is for next season, but i think we should aim for a uefa cup spot atleast. Then we need players in quick, because they need to know each other to play good.  If we sign a player in middle the start of august, he will have like 20 days to get to know the other players on the pitch. And would most likely look like Luque when the season starts.

I don't disagree we have a small squad.  Ideally we'd get several players in for pre-season but the reality is some will join early and some later in the window.  The main thing is to get them in.  I don't think this is different to how other clubs operate......in reality we're suffering from the dross we've signed in recent seasons, the squad's needed major surgery and I don't think we're going to fix that in one window, as much as I'd love us to do that.

What had the club been doing before the Jan transfer window? Plan A failed, and it turned out we had no plan B except signing a player who had never played at the required level as a stop gap. If that's not panic buying I don't know what is.. I am quite obviously not saying we should not have got anybody in, I am saying we should have identified long terms solutions long before the January window opened and acted decisively.

Have you forgotten that we replaced the manager?

Those still worried about how our summer is going. Let's look at our European rivals.

Newcastle - Signed 1

Tottenham - Signed 3

Portsmouth - Signed 1

Man City - Signed 1

Blackburn - Signed 0

So 1 team has signed more players than us. I'd say on that basis we are very much on course.

Oh yes, let's look at quantity rather than quality. Besides from that, how many players have these clubs let go, and were they as low on quantity as well as quality as us before the window started?

Newcastle - Signed 1

Tottenham - Signed 3

Portsmouth - Signed 1

Man City - Signed 1

Blackburn - Signed 0

Oh yes, let's look at quantity rather than quality. Besides from that, how many players have these clubs let go, and were they as low on quantity as well as quality as us before the window started?

And when does the window shut?  :rolleyes:

And people are wonder what why the media slate us for being impatient.

And I wonder why you have the rule for trolling when you don't even inforce it.

What rule is that?

So basically it's been like three days since we signed anyone and people are moaning again already.

We've had the complete and ultimate proof that the media have NO FUCKING CLUE of what we're doing behind the scenes, and yet people are STILL convinced we're not doing anything.

I give up.