Jonas Gutierrez signed from Mallorca on 5 year deal

magorific

Good article form tim vickery

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/blogs/timvickery/winds-of-change-in-brazil-121440/

I'm lucky enough to have been present at all five World Cup qualifiers between Brazil and Argentina. They are special occasions, the kind that make you want to linger round the stadium for hours after the final whistle - even if they prove as tame as the mid-week 0-0 draw in Belo Horizonte.

There is still much to relect on and analyse.

Perhaps there was too much at stake; both teams had come off bad results the previous weekend and the need to preserve pride tipped the balance towards caution.

And there's also the recent history of the great South American derby. Argentina have come out to play, only to be taken apart on the break. Coach Alfio Basile was determined it was not going to happen this time.

His masterstroke was the introduction of Jonas Gutierrez on the left flank. Strong and rangy, he shut the gate through which Brazil poured to win last year's Copa America, when they identified the lack of pace of left back Gabriel Heinze as Argentina's weak point.

Gutierrez worked up and down the whole flank, allowing Heinze to push inside and give defensive cover - much needed because Argentina were rightly terrified of Brazil's strikers getting a run at their centre backs.

Sounds like he could do a job in the 3 man midfield then as well as the 4-4-2 which is good to know.

Guest rebel_yell12

Not necessarily, nut. Tuncay and emre both have their first names on their shirt.

So does Jose Enrique.  His surname is Sanchez Diaz, but his shirt does not have either of those names on it.  It's the same as if an English player had "Joseph Henry" on his shirt -- no one would confuse that for his surname.  What about Geremi?  His full name is Geremi Sorele Njitap Fotso (apparently, in "English style" his name is Geremi Njitap).  Also, Cacapa is entirely a nickname, his given name is Claudio Roberto da Silva.  

I'm trying to picture English-speaking players joining this trend.  Imagine Shearer having had "Alan" or "Big Al" on the back of his shirt.  Or Owen with "Michael" or "MO".  Gerrard with "Stevie" and Carragher with "Carra" and Viduka with "Duke"...

editted to add:  Am apparently very slow this morning.  It's very early in America still (about 7:30). 

What's actually cool is that this boy bought out his contract i.e. we paid him for that, then obviously gave him an extra 'signing on' fee, which should mean that, overall, we've paid a fee well below his market value. For a 25 year old Argentine international, that's quite good me thinks.

Do you think he will play against his former club when we visit spain?

The Chronicle says his first match will be against Valencia 9.aug.

"He is expected to make his United debut on August 9 against familiar opponents when he lines up against Valencia in a friendly at St James’s Park."

Guest Anth.Nufc

Do you think he will play against his former club when we visit spain?

The Chronicle says his first match will be against Valencia 9.aug.

"He is expected to make his United debut on August 9 against familiar opponents when he lines up against Valencia in a friendly at St James’s Park."

Thats why i asked  O0

Asked some opinions about him on a Spanish footy forum and got this.

Opinion 1 Decent signing. Winger who despite lacking a lot tactically and technically, makes up for it through pure speed and enthusiasm.

Opinion 2 .Tenacious and hard working wide midfielder. Right footed but can also play on the left if needed. Thinks he's Spiderman.

Aint heard of him like but hope he does well. Anyone got a FM stats on him?

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/4845/jonased3.jpg

Good physical stats, not so good technical stats.

age 29?

Where does he fit in the 4-3-3? Replace Geremi? Or are we reverting back to the 4-4-2?

James may be right, and he may like to play a bit deeper than normal other wingers, and along with that article saying how he helped shore up the left-win for Argentina against Brazil, he could do a job on the right side of our midfield three.

I think it's great we've got our transfer activity started...but I'm not sure about this particular player. Hopefully he'll be like Jose Enrique (Ie have a good season and adapt well when no-one knew anything about him) but the reports of his lack of technical ability concern me. We'll see I guess.

Aint heard of him like but hope he does well. Anyone got a FM stats on him?

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/4845/jonased3.jpg

Good physical stats, not so good technical stats.

In fairness in FM the stats are weighted that some players who have great physical stats will have technical stats not as high as they should be - look at players like Rommendahl, Agbonalhor and Walcott for examples of those who look worse than they are.

Guest loonietoonie

good news lets see us move on from this and get some more new faces in during the next few months :)