Llambias: sale stories are all utter nonsense

Optimistic Nut

In a sense the papers are right that the silence does fuel the speculation. We never hear anything from Ashley and that only increases press speculation. If instead of sending out a nameless spokesperson he'd gave the same quotes to the official website it would have silenced the rumours.

In a sense the papers are right that the silence does fuel the speculation. We never hear anything from Ashley and that only increases press speculation. If instead of sending out a nameless spokesperson he'd gave the same quotes to the official website it would have silenced the rumours.

But then he'd have to come out and deny every rumour everytime a false claim came out.

If he released quotes saying he has no plans of selling to 'American investors', then the next time something came up (selling a player, selling the club etc.), if he didn't release quotes denying it then, it'd be "OMG! Ashley has denied to comment therefore he definitely wants to sell!!! Buy our paper!!"

You either comment on everything or nothing and sadly, it's easier to remain silent.

But then he'd have to come out and deny every rumour everytime a false claim came out.

If he released quotes saying he has no plans of selling to 'American investors', then the next time something came up (selling a player, selling the club etc.), if he didn't release quotes denying it then, it'd be "OMG! Ashley has denied to comment therefore he definitely wants to sell!!! Buy our paper!!"

You either comment on everything or nothing and sadly, it's easier to remain silent.

I see your piont but this links in with another piont I made in another thread. Ashley needs to do a big interview for the official website underlining his long term ambitions and plans for the club and in doing that make it perfectly clear he has no intention of selling the club at any price. Would also be ideal if he did this interview on camera and sent it to SSN as well.

At the moment to the general fan Ashley is a owner who has not invested heavily in the playing squad and is constantly linked with selling the club, which is obviously not a positive image. He needs to outline the general transfer philosophy of the club to fans and make it clear that he does not want to sell, only then will these rumours stop.

Agree with that, definitely.  Why should he respond to 2-bit tabloid reports like that?  Ashley hasn't made his fortune by getting dragged into petty little issues like this.  How many other owners mix with the fans wearing the club shirt?  Yet the media gave him a dig for doing that as well.

I think now he's probably decided to ignore the wankers completely or even give them reason to get a hard-on over a nothing story for his own amusement.

Guest TPIB

Only if you believe any statement from an official Newcastle spokesman isn't approved by Ashley and/or his team before it's release

I see your piont but this links in with another piont I made in another thread. Ashley needs to do a big interview for the official website underlining his long term ambitions and plans for the club and in doing that make it perfectly clear he has no intention of selling the club at any price. Would also be ideal if he did this interview on camera and sent it to SSN as well.

At the moment to the general fan Ashley is a owner who has not invested heavily in the playing squad and is constantly linked with selling the club, which is obviously not a positive image. He needs to outline the general transfer philosophy of the club to fans and make it clear that he does not want to sell, only then will these rumours stop.

Generally agree it would pre-empt a lot of things like this. Something like an owners statement or plans for the new season would be a route of pain free pr and communication. The papers are very keen to draw him into any story at the moment basically, but he could take control of that debate and in many ways so far he hasn't.

Guest TPIB

Generally agree it would pre-empt a lot of things like this. Something like an owners statement or plans for the new season would be a route of pain free pr and communication. The papers are very keen to draw him into any story at the moment basically, but he could take control of that debate and in many ways so far he hasn't.

It might just be his way of saying bollocks to them, when he took over we heard the press didn't like him (the city boys) because they heard nowt and he was a bit of a renegade.

He probably just can't be arsed

I think it's best Ashley keeps silent. He'll prove himself, one way or another, by what he actually does – and I'm happy to cut him a season or two's slack to get on with it. While we're waiting to see what happens, the whingers will wet their knickers and the press will make up shite, but neither thing will make much difference to what actually happens behind the scenes or on the pitch.

Makes you wonder if this recent muck-raking is a result of the club's refusal (so far) to give into fan and media pressure to sack Barton. The media can't get their way with one thing, so now attempt to de-stabilise (sp?) the club another way.

For a club which isn't deemed to be 'big' we don't have get more then our fair share of media coverage. Indeed, I suggest only perhaps the Mancs get more column inches devoted to them, on average. I guess Newcastle United sell papers. Pity most of what is written in them concerning us is complete bollocks.

It might just be his way of saying bollocks to them, when he took over we heard the press didn't like him (the city boys) because they heard nowt and he was a bit of a renegade.

It just doesn't work like that these days. The media is as much a business tool as balancing the books.

Guest TPIB

It just doesn't work like that these days. The media is as much a business tool as balancing the books.

It has worked that way so far for Ashley though, I'd never heard of the bugger before he bought us.

Makes you wonder if this recent muck-raking is a result of the club's refusal (so far) to give into fan and media pressure to sack Barton. The media can't get their way with one thing, so now attempt to de-stabilise (sp?) the club another way.

For a club which isn't deemed to be 'big' we don't have get more then our fair share of media coverage. Indeed, I suggest only perhaps the Mancs get more column inches devoted to them, on average. I guess Newcastle United sell papers. Pity most of what is written in them concerning us is complete bollocks.

We need someone to manage media expectations really, A professional handler. The perceived value/identity and strength of the club is as important these days as buying players or building stadiums.

It has worked that way so far for Ashley though, I'd never heard of the bugger before he bought us.

But this is football, completely different ball game. ho ho

Guest TPIB

We need someone to manage media expectations really, A professional handler. The perceived value/identity and strength of the club is as important these days as buying players or building stadiums.

That'd be the person who told the Newcastle Spokesman what to say when he/she rubbished the story.

That'd be the person who told the Newcastle Spokesman what to say when he/she rubbished the story.

The damage is already done though. That's my point. If we developed our contacts with the London media and there are many clear avenues for this kind of thing, we could be approached and consulted before these kinds of stories go out. Or even stop them going out. These kinds of things hurt the club, professional media handling avoids all of this. Ashley is a poor communicator, it just doesn't wash to say 'we're quietly getting on with things'. expectations since the takeover are just too high and too many people want it to fail. You see people wanting to buy or invest in us is actually really a positive story, not a negative one.

These stories always come from people in the financial world.

Hmmm, I wonder why?  :rolleyes:

Yes and they will continue to come till we put some professional media handling in place. Spin works both ways as I'm sure you know.

Dunno why you guys love defending this guy. It's obvious he wants to sell. He's been linked with selling NUFC since day one. Can't see us doing better than 12 or 11th this season with all this going on.

Where is the evidence?

Even if this story was true it would tell me he DOESN'T want to sell, because no one would pay that price for the club.

Dunno why you guys love defending this guy. It's obvious he wants to sell. He's been linked with selling NUFC since day one. Can't see us doing better than 12 or 11th this season with all this going on.

Is that a joke?

are you the first person who actually thinks there may be truth in this ?

Fancy that eh, does us all a favour by wiping out a stadium debt, then has the temerity to include it in the asking price, and more.