Steve Sidwell agrees move to Villa

Theregulars

Don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere but maybe it's worthy of a thread of its own given that every player we are linked with usually gets one. Don't think it's going to happen but would be a good enough addition and probably a better option to Barton, certainly mentally.

Been mentioned in Mirror, Sun and (I think) Mail, as well as Sky Sports website and TeamTalk.

I'd read somewhere that he doesn't want to move too far north, and that's the advantage that Villa have over us.

I think he's a good all round player, and it'd be a good time to buy him. He's had a bit of a setback with Chelsea, and he'll be eager to prove himself.

The media are like sheep, just following each other. As lovejoy pointed out, this was in the Chronicle yesterday. Just because everyone else has now nicked it doesn't mean it's any more truthful.

But anyway: meh.

Guest Gh0StFaC3

Yep, he turned us down in favour of Chelsea & I'd now rather he stayed down there & rotted away.

Don't know what he expected to happen after signing with them, but it wasn't hard to predict.

If it's true mind, we must almost certainly be letting go of Barton.

Guest mobiius

Don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere but maybe it's worthy of a thread of its own given that every player we are linked with usually gets one. Don't think it's going to happen but would be a good enough addition and probably a better option to Barton, certainly mentally.

Been mentioned in Mirror, Sun and (I think) Mail, as well as Sky Sports website and TeamTalk.

really hope we don't get the mercenary prick tbh he had his chance to come here and play he chose chelski and a place on the bench. imo he is as u rightly say more mentally stable than JB but i dont think he is more talented.

Guest Stephen927

Very average player, roughly on a par with Barton and Parker in my eyes.

He had his chance to come here, and for £5m I think Chelsea are having a laugh after snapping him up on a free then him having spent most of the season on the bench.

I don't know why people are so resentful of him choosing Chelsea instead of us. Unless you were a supporter, that's the decision that every professional player would make at the moment.

I don't know why people are so resentful of him choosing Chelsea instead of us. Unless you were a supporter, that's the decision that every professional player would make at the moment.

Money over first team football? Hardly.

He's probably about as good as Barton, but without the mental instability, so he would be a better squad member than Joey.

I wouldn't be ecstatic if we signed him, but for a modest price would be a good option for central midfield. Saw quite a bit of him at Reading, and along with James Harper he formed a quality CM partnership. Don't think we should hold the Chelsea thing against him, many people would do the same with a massive pay day on offer.

maybe he had confidence in his ability to get a first team spot.

He was never going to get in a Chelsea team in front of Ballack, Makelele, Essien, Lampard, Mikel. That's not confidence, it's delusion.

If the stories are true I think that maybe the end of Barton, either at a cut price or plain old sacked?

Overall I think Barton is the better player but will he ever get back to his top game after what he has gone through?

I wouldn't be astounded by signing Sidwell but he is no mug to be fair.

He had his chance to come here, and for £5m I think Chelsea are having a laugh after snapping him up on a free then him having spent most of the season on the bench.

IMO, I think that was clever business by then really.

Guest want_nufc_to_be_big_club

average player imo

he is not going to add some more class to the team and to the squad

miles away from speed class.

i would rather look somewhere else.

even barton is a better football player then him.not a good person though.

IMO, I think that was clever business by then really.

how ?. i'll guess his signing on fee and wages will wipe out any transfer fee they bring in.

He was never going to get in a Chelsea team in front of Ballack, Makelele, Essien, Lampard, Mikel. That's not confidence, it's delusion.

Well either way, he's clearly showing now that first team football does matter to him.