Steve Sidwell agrees move to Villa

Theregulars

Not good enough.

:lol: All our midfielders are better?

That's not really the point is it? He didn't say our midfielders are better, but he is saying if we bring in new ones we'd be better off setting our sights higher than Steve Sidwell.

Not good enough.

:lol: All our midfielders are better?

That's not really the point is it? He didn't say our midfielders are better, but he is saying if we bring in new ones we'd be better off setting our sights higher than Steve Sidwell.

"'Spackas-r-us' turf accountants and internet betting group" are still giving us short odds on getting Arshavin apparently. We may be in the gutter but we're looking at the stars!!  :pow:

Incremental squad improvements are a really good idea imo, i'm not advocating him as a target, just saying he'd be a good addition to this squad, given the need for numbers. I'd be happy if we were in for him (not at 80k p.w though).

And Yorkie, if this is the best you have to offer regarding this matter...

"Nelly the elephant is better than Steven Carr therefore you're wrong to think Sidwell would be a good idea".

... i suggest you keep your cretinous little gob shut ;)

Some of us have seen managers build squads and competent sides, i suppose it isnt your fault though that all you have witnessed is managers taking them apart.

Incremental squad improvements are a really good idea imo, i'm not advocating him as a target, just saying he'd be a good addition to this squad, given the need for numbers. I'd be happy if we were in for him (not at 80k p.w though).

Agreed, didn't say I didn't think that. For £5m and £80k or whatever it is a week... I don't think he is worth that much and that's what we'd be looking at paying if these sources are correct. £0-£2/3m and lower wages and I'd take him though.

I agree that incremental steps can be a good way to build up a squad, its what Spurs have been doing for the last several years, and they are in a much better position now for it and to attract better quality in the future.

Sidwell would be that, but imo, its not a big enough step up to justify £5m fee or anything over £40kpw which no doubt he will want.

I'd see paying money for Ben Haim a better incremental step than Sidwell.

Chez, if you couldn't tell that that was a tongue-in-cheek analogy then you're the cretin. The point i was making was that we shouldn't be buying players simply because they're marginally better than what we've already got. It's generally alright if they're young and have potential to be good/have a sell on value, but i don't think Sidwell represents either of those things.

That's my take on things anyway. I shall take my cretinous little gob elsewhere. :smug:

EDIT: Btw, i do agree with the incremental squad building approach, just not in this particular case; as i don't think it'd represent value for money. Just to echo Melan and Toon's Taylor.

It all really depends on what we're planning to do with Barton really.

If we're sticking by Barton then Sidwell shouldn't be in our sights, as he's not quite as good as Barton IMO and won't want to be here as his back-up. If Barton goes though he's a logical replacement, similiar type of player whose good enough to improve us.

He's clearly a decent enough player, it's no coincidence Reading were soft as shite once he left. Just because he's chosen to sit on Chelsea's bench for the last year doesn't suddenly make him a poor player.

What worries me is peoples insistance that we should be looking to sign players like Veloso from Sporting as apposed to solid players such as Sidwell. Now i'm not saying that Veloso is a bad player but is a far bigger risk signing player from inferior leagues.

I'd rather rely on KK's coaching ability that picking players who are popular at the time. When Sidwell signs for Villa it will be another cracking piece of buisness from O'Neill and he will be a good player for them next year. 

sidwell is a better player than many on here give him credit for. gets through the work,has as good a range of passing as butt and gets a goal or two.

as ever wether i'd be happy to get him depends on the price and how much we have available.

as ever wether i'd be happy to get him depends on the price and how much we have available.

Pretty much my feelings. He's definitely not rubbish, I just thought we might want to aim a little higher.

Think this could be a favour to Keegans old club,Liverpool to force Villa to sell Barry quicker.wonder what we'll get in return if my suspicions are confirmed?Insua on the cheap maybe.......

insua has just signed a new contract (not that that counts for much)

Wouldn't amaze me if Liverpool put those whispers out to try force Villa to hurry up and get Barry's replacement in.

Can't say I'm bothered like, and in any case Sidwell to Villa has been spoken about as a done deal for ages now.