Steve Sidwell agrees move to Villa

Theregulars

I don't know why people are so resentful of him choosing Chelsea instead of us. Unless you were a supporter, that's the decision that every professional player would make at the moment.

Money over first team football? Hardly.

maybe he had confidence in his ability to get a first team spot.

He was never going to get in a Chelsea team in front of Ballack, Makelele, Essien, Lampard, Mikel. That's not confidence, it's delusion.

Well either way, he's clearly showing now that first team football does matter to him.

So much so that his agent is already mentioning a loyalty bonus from Chelsea when he leaves? Seems exactly like a money-grabbing twat to me.

Guest MaetihS

grrrr...not another grafter!! we need flair and creative players. dun care if they are lazy if they can come up with more than 10 assists a season.

In fact:

Sidwell’s agent Eric Walters said: “He is in no rush to leave Chelsea.

“There is a new manager coming in and he would at least like to meet with him over the next couple of weeks to discuss his future in person.

“He is entitled to some compensation if Chelsea agree to part with him.”

Sounds desperate for first-team football..

Guest elbee909

I think since that Bin Laden "link" they've just been itching to use "Newcastle" and "hijack" in the same headline.  Nothing more.

I don't know why people are so resentful of him choosing Chelsea instead of us. Unless you were a supporter, that's the decision that every professional player would make at the moment.

He was never going to get in a Chelsea team in front of Ballack, Makelele, Essien, Lampard, Mikel. That's not confidence, it's delusion.

Well either way, he's clearly showing now that first team football does matter to him.

So much so that his agent is already mentioning a loyalty bonus from Chelsea when he leaves? Seems exactly like a money-grabbing t*** to me.

true.

Good on him, give the lad a medal.

Don't want Sidwell.

Guest cfhpantera27

Sidwell > Ageing Butt.

Sidwell isn't a defensive midfielder.

he is ginger  :razz:

Guest Phil K

Come on - he'd hardly be the first to do so.

Sidwell > Ageing Butt.

Neither was speed mate.

People are being far too simplistic about this. In my opinion Sidwell would make an excellent signing if we converted him into a DM, for the long term.

i.e use coaching skills.... they haven't been used in a while at our club.

Sidwell > Ageing Butt.

Neither was speed mate.

People are being far too simplistic about this. In my opinion Sidwell would make an excellent signing if we converted him into a DM, for the long term.

Rather go for a proper DMC than fitting square pegs in round holes.

Sidwell > Ageing Butt.

Neither was speed mate.

rather go for two midfielders who done the lot (rob lee/roy keane stylee)

Sidwell > Ageing Butt.

Neither was speed mate.

agreed

Guest nufc_geordie

Simple decision, sign him, he would command a starting place and is better than what we have.

Any improvement to the team must be taken if it is a viable option!

Sidwell > Ageing Butt.

Neither was speed mate.

Too simplistic, a) i just wanted to use the phrase 'ageing butt' and b) on numerous occasions last year, Butt was our best attacking player.

When a player can defend, its really a massive advantage if they can attack too. I'd happily have a look at Sidwell in the middle of a central 3. 

Sidwell > Ageing Butt.

Neither was speed mate.

Too simplistic, a) i just wanted to use the phrase 'ageing butt' and b) on numerous occasions last year, Butt was our best attacking player.

When a player can defend, its really a massive advantage if they can attack too. I'd happily have a look at Sidwell in the middle of a central 3. 

Wasn't he asking for £80k last time round?

I'm embarasssed to admit I really have no opinion on Sidwell, is he good enough for us, would he fit in, would he offer us something more than we currently have. I have no bloody clue.

Not good enough.

:lol: All our midfielders are better?

That approach really grates on me. At the time, Nelly the Elephant would have been a better option than Carr at right-back. Should we have signed her?

Sidwell isn't a particularly great player, and in my opinion, centre-midfield is the position that we most desperately need to improve. Being simply 'better than what we've got' isn't an acceptable criteria for new signings if you ask me, unless it's entirely last resort.