Steve Sidwell agrees move to Villa

Theregulars

Guest johnson293

None too bothered tbh - he had the chance to join us last summer, but as already mentioned, he preferred to go to Chelsea as a squad player (like Tal Ben Haim).

Good luck to him at Villa.

Guest johnson293

This deal will start the transfer merry-go-round.

Sidwell to Villa, Barry to Liverpool, Gerrard to Man Utd, Carrick to Newcastle. O0

We haven't had the annual Gerrard to Chelsea circus yet - could potentially Lampard to Inter spark that one again?

Pleased with this as our first signing. He's a good player who will get better under MON, and the price is not too bad either. Gives us another midfield option and adds more strength in depth.

He's not a Barry replacement, though, I've a feeling we'd probably have signed him had Barry been staying.

Not good enough.

:lol: All our midfielders are better?

That's not really the point is it? He didn't say our midfielders are better, but he is saying if we bring in new ones we'd be better off setting our sights higher than Steve Sidwell.

A late reply, perhaps, but nevertheless:

As Role Model says, I wasn't suggesting all our midfielders are better. For example, Sidwell or Smith? I'd take Sidwell. But I'm hoping that's not the only choice we have.

I don't think Sidwell would have represented much, if any, step up in terms of quality. I'm not suggesting we should be getting Messi or anything daft like that, but it would be nice to think that somewhere in the world of football there's someone somewhere with a bit of quality that we can sign. Sidwell is another grafter, and with Smith, Butt and Geremi already in the squad I don't think he was what we needed. We need a midfielder who can beat a man. Who can unlock a defence. Who can shoot from distance. Who scares defenders. That's not Steve Sidwell.

Pleased with this as our first signing. He's a good player who will get better under MON, and the price is not too bad either. Gives us another midfield option and adds more strength in depth.

He's not a Barry replacement, though, I've a feeling we'd probably have signed him had Barry been staying.

Sidwell is a tidy and sturdy player who will keep the ball moving forward with positive distribution. He was raised at Arsenal overall. He didn't fit into the Chelsea workhorse style. Sidwell is a good midfielder who works well in a 4-4-2, couldn't really see where he could have fit into our new system though so not too upset at losing out on him.

I'm pulling for you guys to land Bentley over Tottenham and I think your in with a good chance of doing so. You just need to let Barry go pronto so you can use that money on Bentley while Spurs keep offering their second hand rejects and multi year payment plans. Freakin' con artists.

Not good enough.

That's not really the point is it? He didn't say our midfielders are better, but he is saying if we bring in new ones we'd be better off setting our sights higher than Steve Sidwell.

As Role Model says, I wasn't suggesting all our midfielders are better. For example, Sidwell or Smith? I'd take Sidwell. But I'm hoping that's not the only choice we have.

I don't think Sidwell would have represented much, if any, step up in terms of quality. I'm not suggesting we should be getting Messi or anything daft like that, but it would be nice to think that somewhere in the world of football there's someone somewhere with a bit of quality that we can sign. Sidwell is another grafter, and with Smith, Butt and Geremi already in the squad I don't think he was what we needed. We need a midfielder who can beat a man. Who can unlock a defence. Who can shoot from distance. Who scares defenders. That's not Steve Sidwell.

If Geremi, Barton and Smith were the best we could do last summer, what on god's earth makes you think we should turn our noses up at Sidwell this summer?

Fucking retards everywhere think the real world involves saying 'we need the best player available' and that therefore its as simple as signing them. Clearly all schoolchildren and students who have never had to make a deal in the real world. I agree we are crying out for some creativity in midfield but i'd say that only Barton should be kept out of those 3, as the other 2 are shite. This leaves a massive numbers problem.

I want a 25 goal a year striker with pace, strength, aerial ability, able to beat a man and be a provider for others. I also want to fuck Scarlet Johanson. Is that meant to be insightful or something?

Whatever, not arsed whether we sign him or not, a little dose of realism is required though. Who was the last midfielder we signed who fits your criteria and where was the club relative to now?

Not good enough.

If Geremi, Barton and Smith were the best we could do last summer, what on god's earth makes you think we should turn our noses up at Sidwell this summer?

Fucking retards everywhere think the real world involves saying 'we need the best player available' and that therefore its as simple as signing them. Clearly all schoolchildren and students who have never had to make a deal in the real world. I agree we are crying out for some creativity in midfield but i'd say that only Barton should be kept out of those 3, as the other 2 are shite. This leaves a massive numbers problem.

I want a 25 goal a year striker with pace, strength, aerial ability, able to beat a man and be a provider for others. I also want to fuck Scarlet Johanson. Is that meant to be insightful or something?

Whatever, not arsed whether we sign him or not, a little dose of realism is required though. Who was the last midfielder we signed who fits your criteria and where was the club relative to now?

Sidwell is a fair player no doubt and I'm sure he can do as good a job as Butt if not better. He would certainly deliver more than Geremi and Smith.

moronic to  suggest that passing up the opportunity to sign sidwell is somehow akin to wanting to fuck scarlett johnansson and shows that you are a kid with no real world experience.

when was the last time we 'settled' for someone like sidwell who was supposed to be a step-up? errr, wasn't Geremi that? and Barton? and Smith too, i seem to remember you being pretty keen on signing that 'step up'. he would represent no improvement over what we have as he is a worse player than Barton and probably on par with Geremi. it's not about going out and buying the best player available its about buying someone who is clearly better than what we have. we've gone down the route of filling our squad with workhorses who might be slightly better than those they replace and its got us nowhere.

moronic to  suggest that passing up the opportunity to sign sidwell is somehow akin to wanting to fuck scarlett johnansson and shows that you are a kid with no real world experience.

when was the last time we 'settled' for someone like sidwell who was supposed to be a step-up? errr, wasn't Geremi that? and Barton? and Smith too, i seem to remember you being pretty keen on signing that 'step up'. he would represent no improvement over what we have as he is a worse player than Barton and probably on par with Geremi. it's not about going out and buying the best player available its about buying someone who is clearly better than what we have. we've gone down the route of filling our squad with workhorses who might be slightly better than those they replace and its got us nowhere.

It would be moronic if i had suggested that but i didnt. You may want to read it again. He specified some attributes for the player we should sign that may be 'a bit beyond our means'. Therefore the comment holds, whether you get it or not.

You remember me being positive about Smith after he scored a goal in pre-season, so what? Irrelevant and childish.

I asked the question first, so answer it, when was the last time we signed a midfielder with the qualities that Chris highlighted? Its been a while. And the point, for the tired, drunk and incoherent, is that Sidwell is the sort of player we seem to be in the market for, we should get used to it. I'd love us to sign better but 3 years ago with seemingly a lot more in the bank for transfers and European football on offer, the best we could muster was Parker. We need bodies in the midfield to replace Emre, Butt (legs will go this year), Geremi (legs gone and utter turd), Smith (Turd) and Barton (Cunt). I dont really give a shit who it is but we need to build the squad with some decent midfielders. All we got last year was an improved defence.

Has Ashley been sending out some really positive signals that i've been missing in the last few weeks or something?

If the best our recruitment team are hoping for is the likes of Steve Sidwell then i'll be fucking annoyed.

That said, i don't believe it is the case - in my opinion that is - or we wouldn't have gone after Modric. I don't really know where you're conjuring these assumptions from either tbh; "Sidwell is the sort of player we seem to be in the market for..." What's the evidence of that? You know just as much as i and the rest of us do. Fuck all. You don't know who we're in for and i reckon it's just pessimitic to assume that. I think we've got an ambitious boardroom who want the best players that they can find.

Incremental steps, agreed, so squad players of lesser quality are gonna be targeted aswell. But only players of that lesser quality? I don't think so...

Whats the evidence for us being linked and in the market for players like Sidwell. Err, this thread. Cretin  :razz: ;)

We need to fill the midfield this summer, the current lot are in their last season or utter wank.

Whats the evidence for us being linked and in the market for players like Sidwell. Err, this thread. Cretin  :razz: ;)

We need to fill the midfield this summer, the current lot are in their last season or utter wank.

True, but it's no good filling the midfield from utter wank with more utter wank, Sidwell's a decent player, nothing more.

True, but it's no good filling the midfield from utter wank with more utter wank, Sidwell's a decent player, nothing more.

Do you think we'll buy someone better than Sidwell and Butt?

Think this could be a favour to Keegans old club,Liverpool to force Villa to sell Barry quicker.wonder what we'll get in return if my suspicions are confirmed?Insua on the cheap maybe.......

insua has just signed a new contract (not that that counts for much)

see we were linked to Pennant today.

Think this could be a favour to Keegans old club,Liverpool to force Villa to sell Barry quicker.wonder what we'll get in return if my suspicions are confirmed?Insua on the cheap maybe.......

insua has just signed a new contract (not that that counts for much)

see we were linked to Pennant today.

For once my cynicism is proved correct.See Danny Guthrie.

Guest Heneage

Id take Guthrie over pennant any day. As for Sidwell he had his chance, like my dad says "You get one chance to play for Newcastle".