Where were you?

Tooj

Cole: I can't remember. I was living in Berlin at the time, didn't have a TV or internet, so I probably read it in the paper or something. It was much harder, in those days, to follow things from a distance.

Shearer: I was in London most of that year, again with no TV, and a friend rang with the news. I can remember looking out of the window of my flat in Brixton and feeling happy as he raved about how many shirts were being sold that day and kept repeating "15 million quid! 15 fucking million quid!!"

At uni when Shearer signed. Can't remember what I was doing exactly, I was probably drunk somewhere.

As for Cole leaving, I was in an A-Level Maths lesson when I was told. I was gutted.

When Shearer signed? Probably having a shite in my nappy tbh  :lol:

At four years old, man? Howay. Your folks fucked you up pretty bad didn't they? :lol:

Cole, i don't know, i was very young then. Shearer, i was only 5. I can remember helping me dad in the garden, when my mum came out and said we'd signed him. My dad went loopy, but i wasn't really aware. One of my earliest football memories though, if you can call it that.

When Shearer signed? Probably having a s**** in my nappy tbh  :lol:

At four years old, man? Howay. Your folks f***ed you up pretty bad didn't they? :lol:

Cole, i don't know, i was very young then. Shearer, i was only 5. I can remember helping me dad in the garden, when my mum came out and said we'd signed him. My dad went loopy, but i wasn't really aware. One of my earliest football memories though, if you can call it that.

:lol:

Well maybe i was sitting winging about going to nursery?  :razz: i know fuck all these days, do you even go to nursery at the age of 4 ?

Guest BooBoo

Shearer : I was working in Hetton-le-Hole just outside of Sunderland putting a CCTV tower up with a fellow Newcastle fan. It came over on the radio and we were dancing around in the field like idiots. Bought a Sunderland Echo that dinner time which had the immortal headline "Oh no, Look who the Mags have signed!".

Cole : Was working in a printers in town when it came on the radio, absolutely gutted. The funny thing was, I was in the Director's Lounge for the Blackburn cup game with a mate, and we had talked to Alex Ferguson and Martin Edwards who were having a drink a the bar. Didn't really think anything of it at the time, but obviously they were there to do the deal.

;D

I never knew that. It really just sums the Mackems up. Would love to see that paper.

Speaking of papers i recall just days after, The Sun trying to be party poopers saying that Big Les was furious that Shearer had insisted on the number 9 shirt.

A Level Maths when Shearer signed, I quickly fooked off out of their and went to phone everyone I could - I remember it vividly as I'd just bought an early analogue mobile which I hammered hell out of that day!

Cole going, I think I was at home, the news broke late afternoon IIRC so I watched it all unfold on SSN - Keegan on the steps an all!

Cole I was at school I think and a teacher told us, then we got the radio on hear it confirmed. Was gutted I admit.

Was on holiday in Scotland when shearer signed, my Dad faxed the back page of the paper to the hotel, didn't believe it was true until I heard it on the telly. Remember that day really well, great stuff!

Guest Jawesome

Year 3 at school when Cole was sold.  Remember the receptionist running down the corridor shouting it.  We were all gutted.  I think the following break time was one of the few times we never played football due to the sheer shock of it all.  Can't remember the Shearer one though.  I remember Hislop's signing like, cos my gran was driving us back from Morpeth and it came on the radio and she was proper chuffed to bits for some reason.

Dinner lady told me about Cole at Primary school, same thing happened when Keegan left - dinner ladies knew everything back then.

Shearer is a canny story. Was down in Hertfordshire for the traditional family holiday with my Spurs-supporting relatives, 5 of us packed into my Aunty's Metro listening to the radio when a news bulletin comes on: "Newcastle have completed the signing of Alan Shearer for a fee of £15M", well needless to say I went crackers celebrating, culminating with a rather venemous tirade at my cousin (who was a little girl at the time :blush:) which ended with "...just try and stop us now!" which got me a stern telling off from the mother. Was absolutely buzzing for the rest of that break, but was gutted to miss the unveiling.

Had been mesmerised by Shearer during the Euro's which we'd watched most of down south. Brilliant memory.

Shearer : I was working in Hetton-le-Hole just outside of Sunderland putting a CCTV tower up with a fellow Newcastle fan. It came over on the radio and we were dancing around in the field like idiots. Bought a Sunderland Echo that dinner time which had the immortal headline "Oh no, Look who the Mags have signed!".

Cole : Was working in a printers in town when it came on the radio, absolutely gutted. The funny thing was, I was in the Director's Lounge for the Blackburn cup game with a mate, and we had talked to Alex Ferguson and Martin Edwards who were having a drink a the bar. Didn't really think anything of it at the time, but obviously they were there to do the deal.

;D

I never knew that. It really just sums the Mackems up. Would love to see that paper.

Speaking of papers i recall just days after, The Sun trying to be party poopers saying that Big Les was furious that Shearer had insisted on the number 9 shirt.

That's absolutely gospel that, front page as well. I've got loads of old Newcastle stuff in the loft, I'll see if I can dig it out.

As an aside, showing my age a bit here but I remember when I found out we'd signed Keegan as a player. Me and my brother who were 12 and 9 were on holiday at Portmadog in North Wales, just sitting around bored stiff in the local park. I was wearing my Bukta tracksuit when this scouse kid comes up and says "you lads must be really happy then?".

"About what" we replied.

"You've signed Keegan"

"Yeah, of course we have" or something similar.

"No seriously, you have"

We were up a height by this time and ran back to the boat we were staying on with our Grandparents to find out if it was true. We then sat in my Grandad's Renault 5 listening to the radio until we heard the amazing news............imagine your best ever Christmas present and times it by 10...........that's how I felt that day!!

Guest BigAl2

I had been talking to a Blackburn fan in a bar in Laganas Zakinthos and I had mentioned that there was a strong rumour that Shearer was going to sign for Newcastle, the guy told me to fuck off and we nearly came to blows and then low and behold the news filtered through that he had actually signed!! I will always remember the said Blackburn fan weeping like a bairn I almost felt sorry for him!!!

With Cole, my dad picked me and my bro up from school and told me, my bro being a man utd fan was going mental, i just couldnt wait to get home so i could start ripping some posters down. Felt like my girlfreind had told me to sod off and got with my brother.  :suicide:

The Shearer thing i got back from swimming and was watching look north when it came up, i preceded to tape every news story about it for the next few days, had a good hour or two of footage, then bought every newspaper for the next few days also.  :celb:

Think they were 2 of the high water marks of supporting Newcastle in recent times, we do love our big transfers like no other club

Cole: Man U supporter mate of mine rang me up after school and told me to look at teletext. i didn't go to school the next day.

Shearer: was playing basketball on the beach when a friend showed up and said "you've just bought Shearer for 15 mill". Didn't believe him until i got home and checked teletext hours later.

Cole: Man U supporter mate of mine rang me up after school and told me to look at teletext. i didn't go to school the next day.

Shearer: was playing basketball on the beach when a friend showed up and said "you've just bought Shearer for 15 mill". Didn't believe him until i got home and checked teletext hours later.

that can't be easy

Cole - Finished school, went to the shop and bought a packet of Premier League stickers with Cole in, got home and bragged about it to my family before my Grandma told me he'd been sold. I watched the North East new and cried for most of the night.

Shearer - School holidays, sitting watching the kids TV when the phone rang and it was my mam shouting down the phone "We signed Shearer! We signed Shearer!", I checked Ceefax and ended up watching it for most of the day as the story unravelled.

Keegan leaving: In school, Mackem dinner lady broke it to us. I didn't believe her until I got home and saw it on Ceefax.

Signing Owen was a funny'un. The house was getting decorated so we didn't have a TV. I was listening to 5 Live just before I was about to go out on my driving lesson and it was announced. My instructor, who was a huge Toon fan, didn't know anything about it so I broke the news to him. We ended up just driving up and down Team Valley with the radio on, him occasionally shouting, "Gerrin! We've beat the Scouse bastards!" Best driving lesson of my fucking life :lol:

Cole was on the news when i got home from school...

Shearer was when i was round a mate's house chilling out during school holidays and my mum came hammering on the door, which she had never done in my entire life, so i totally shat myself that something dreadful had happened... It wasn't helped when she started her sentence with 'your granddad's just been on the phone'... Then she said 'You've signed Alan Shearer', i sprinted past her and straight home, put teletext on and nearly burst into tears i was so excited. One of those moments i'll never ever forget. Fuck off with the 'where were you when Diana died' that i often hear asked, it's all about where you were when Alan Shearer signed, that exact moment you found out it wasn't a lie... I can only imagine what it would feel like to win something, but Shearer signing will always remain up there for me until that day finally comes.

that can't be easy

LOL, how is that even possible ??

Don't remember much about either story, but find it funny to hear people say, I was in school or too young to remember, makes me feel old, I'm older than both Shearer and Cole.

I do remember though when Cole signed for us, I was stuck in Minnesota airport, there was some bad weather and our plane home couldn't take off, I was stuck in line behind this obnoxious fat biker, anyway called my mum to tell her we were staying overnight and she told me we'd signed cole from Bristol City, for what at the time was a lot of money for us 1.75m. She said she'd never heard of him, but I was ecstatic, I thought he was going to be a good signing though never dream he would be as good as he turned out.

When Shearer signed? Probably having a s**** in my nappy tbh  :lol:

At four years old, man? Howay. Your folks f***ed you up pretty bad didn't they? :lol:

Well maybe i was sitting winging about going to nursery?  :razz: i know f*** all these days, do you even go to nursery at the age of 4 ?

Could have easily been your 95th for anyone who doesn't know you. The feeling of confusion, not knowing who anybody is etc. Funny how things can go full-circle in life isn't it :lol: