So who could we sign that would pacify you?

Dave

Beye, Taylor, Faye and Enrique are far from the worst back 4 in the league. Add a top class defender or two to that and we are looking pretty sorted there. Obviously we don't have much cover though.

We definitely need a big striker and some creativity in midfield though.

defending aint just about the back 4

It was here for the most of last season :(

it's been my constant rattle on this and every football forum i've ever been on...defending,like attacking is a team thing. blaming the back 4 alone for the defending is like blaming a forward for a lack of goals when he is getting no support or service.

that and "attacking" and "defensive" midfielders...the best ones and the ones we ought to be looking for if  we are going to 4-4-2....do both well

I agree. I actually think Barton could do a "Rob Lee" if he could get his head right, on what he did for Citeh anyway.

Rob Lee was an intelligent person as well as a good player though. Barton if he isn't baring his knuckles, is usually baring his arse. This is where the comparison starts to go adrift.

Tbf I think Barton comes across quite well and quite bright in interviews, I wouldn't say he was stupid as such he just has some wires mixed up in that brain of his.

fully agree, the open rant/interview he gave towards the end of his time at City was very informed and had a lot of sense behind it, however he, like many others (not meaning its right) can't handle his drink and a bit of provocation.

Not sure its just the drink though, I doubt he was pissed when he beat up Dabo in training. He just seems to have a screw lose. Obviously that will get worse when he has had a drink.

Its a shame really because I do think he is a talented footballer and if he could sort himself out and concentrate on playing he would be a very good player for us, especially if we play this 4-3-3/4-3-2-1 set up.

Beye, Taylor, Faye and Enrique are far from the worst back 4 in the league. Add a top class defender or two to that and we are looking pretty sorted there. Obviously we don't have much cover though.

it's been my constant rattle on this and every football forum i've ever been on...defending,like attacking is a team thing. blaming the back 4 alone for the defending is like blaming a forward for a lack of goals when he is getting no support or service.

that and "attacking" and "defensive" midfielders...the best ones and the ones we ought to be looking for if  we are going to 4-4-2....do both well

Without a doubt, the problem for the best part of last season was the midfield contributing nothing either attacking wise or defensively.

Guest shearer_united

We need players coming in that should replace Shearer and Solano, i think they're the most important types of players we need.

Michael Owen needs a player like shearer to actually be used effectively.

I agree. I actually think Barton could do a "Rob Lee" if he could get his head right, on what he did for Citeh anyway.

Rob Lee was an intelligent person as well as a good player though. Barton if he isn't baring his knuckles, is usually baring his arse. This is where the comparison starts to go adrift.

:laugh: :laugh:

Guest Brazilianbob

As far as I can tell, Barton was never in any trouble until his half brother murdered that teenage with an ice axe.  Straight away, the media were publicizing that his "brother" was wanted for murder and this clearly tarred the whole family.

I would not be surprised to find that each time he has lashed out it has been because reference has been made to the presence of a murderer in the family and that his whole family are therefore scum.  Who's to say they wouldn't lash out given that sort of provocation.

As far as I can tell, Barton was never in any trouble until his half brother murdered that teenage with an ice axe.  Straight away, the media were publicizing that his "brother" was wanted for murder and this clearly tarred the whole family.

I would not be surprised to find that each time he has lashed out it has been because reference has been made to the presence of a murderer in the family and that his whole family are therefore scum.  Who's to say they wouldn't lash out given that sort of provocation.

you reckon dabo said that to him as well?  and didn't he stub the cigar out in the trainees eye well before his brother did what he did?

not sure that'll stand up to scrutiny really

The two things our team is lacking are pace and height. Apart from Martins and N'Zogbia, we have one of the most pedestrian teams in the league, so we need a pace injection in the centre of the park, for sure. With the exceptions of Faye and Carroll, our team is far too short to win aerial balls so another large target man and big centre half are needed.

In fact, our midfield has been slow since the Parker/Butt combo. Milner would win it and pass it to Butt, and there'd be a 6 on 4.  But then Butt would slowly pass it to Parker, and he'd eventually give it to Duff/Zog on the left and by that point the other team had 9 men behind the ball  :angry:

It can be.

Look at the huge difference Woodgate made when fit.

If we manage to get that one star centreback who can lead from the back, it'll make a massive difference to the current defence.

The two things our team is lacking are pace and height. Apart from Martins and N'Zogbia, we have one of the most pedestrian teams in the league, so we need a pace injection in the centre of the park, for sure. With the exceptions of Faye and Carroll, our team is far too short to win aerial balls so another large target man and big centre half are needed.

In fact, our midfield has been slow since the Parker/Butt combo. Milner would win it and pass it to Butt, and there'd be a 6 on 4.  But then Butt would slowly pass it to Parker, and he'd eventually give it to Duff/Zog on the left and by that point the other team had 9 men behind the ball  :angry:

I think that's a good analysis. We've lacked the ability to move the ball forward with pace and control for the last few seasons, and ended up either hoofing the ball long or making aimless passes that are designed to retain possession rather than threaten the opposition.

I actually think that, with Gutierrez and Guthrie, and the attempted signing of Modric, that Keegan is trying to address that problem.

I'd agree about another good CB and a target man. Taylor hasn't developed as well as I'd hoped, and Viduka just looks too slow now. Carroll may step up to the mark, but that's a risk. He's not exactly quick either.

Guest shearer_united

It will be very hard to get these players:

Gareth Barry

David Bentley

Huntelaar

Anton Ferdinand

But what a squad we will have if we do get the whole lot!

Picture the above in the formation below:

Martins  ---  Huntelaar

N'zogbia - Spiderman - Barry - Bentley

Enrique - Taylor - Anton Ferdinand - Beye

Given

Professional-looking formation I'd say.  :coolsmiley:

Gareth Barry

David Bentley

Huntelaar

Anton Ferdinand

Martins  ---  Huntelaar

Given

That's all you need to be pacified ey? :) Just goes to show, you can please some of the fans most of the time, but you can't please all the fans unless you're Roman Abramovic.

Guest shearer_united

Gareth Barry

David Bentley

Huntelaar

Anton Ferdinand

Martins  ---  Huntelaar

Given

That's all you need to be pacified ey? :) Just goes to show, you can please some of the fans most of the time, but you can't please all the fans unless you're Roman Abramovic.

Do you want a squad you could count on and actually be challenging?

And if for one second you actually think i want newcastle to be a club like chelsea then you've mistaken me for a gloryhunter c*** who knows nothing about football.

Guest icemanblue

Gareth Barry

David Bentley

Huntelaar

Anton Ferdinand

Martins  ---  Huntelaar

Given

Do you want a squad you could count on and actually be challenging?

And if for one second you actually think i want newcastle to be a club like chelsea then you've mistaken me for a gloryhunter c*** who knows nothing about football.

Glad you've cleared that up.