Fabricio Coloccini signed from Deportivo La Coruña on 5 year deal

Cronky

Ronaldo's a winger but does he always stick on the wing?

Jonas can still get out wide from that position, why stay in one place and become predictable in your attacks?

Ok it would effectively be a 4-3-3 but that looks miles better than the static 4-4-2 we've been watching recently.

Movement is the key just look at Man U and Arsenal for examples, to keep someone in the same place on the pitch is a doddle for defenders.

Ronaldo is a world-class player playing in a team of other world-class players, something that we're nowhere near at the moment. I think comparing his role in the Man U team with Guttierez's role in ours is at best shaky. What we need is service from the flanks, and sticking Guthrie out there will not provide it.

And the "Static 4-4-2" has not been bad because there's somthing inherently wrong with 4-4-2, but because we've been fielding inept players.

For me it's:

--------------------Given

Beye Coloccini Bassong/Faye Enrique

---------------Faye/Guthrie

Guttierez/Milner -------- Duff/Milner/Guttierez

------------------N'Zogbia

--------------Owen Martins

That's if we had to start the season tomorrow, but hopefully a couple more signings will change that around a bit. A creative mid is a must for me, then Charlie can play left wing if he gets his head screwed on correctly.

And just because Ronaldo is world class he is allowed to move positions?  mackems.gif

Jonas an Argentinian international is not good enough to do that in your eyes?

Jonas can still get out wide from that position, why stay in one place and become predictable in your attacks?

Ok it would effectively be a 4-3-3 but that looks miles better than the static 4-4-2 we've been watching recently.

Movement is the key just look at Man U and Arsenal for examples, to keep someone in the same place on the pitch is a doddle for defenders.

Ronaldo is a world-class player playing in a team of other world-class players, something that we're nowhere near at the moment. I think comparing his role in the Man U team with Guttierez's role in ours is at best shaky. What we need is service from the flanks, and sticking Guthrie out there will not provide it.

And the "Static 4-4-2" has not been bad because there's somthing inherently wrong with 4-4-2, but because we've been fielding inept players.

For me it's:

That's if we had to start the season tomorrow, but hopefully a couple more signings will change that around a bit. A creative mid is a must for me, then Charlie can play left wing if he gets his head screwed on correctly.

And just because Ronaldo is world class he is allowed to move positions?  mackems.gif

In Man U's team they have all the attack swapping positions at different times, if Ronaldo was just to change positions then the team would lose their shape but because of their quality they are able to do this, it's reality that we aren't good enough to do this.

Keegan has already said Jonas can play anywhere and if he can create chances then why not play him in the center, he swapped wings against Berlin so letting him rome behind the front two could really suit him..

For me it's:

In Man U's team they have all the attack swapping positions at different times, if Ronaldo was just to change positions then the team would lose their shape but because of their quality they are able to do this, it's reality that we aren't good enough to do this.

Totally disagree that you can't interchange position with our side at full strength.

Viduka, Owen and Martins were doing it when we switched to 4-3-3 with Barton pushing further on from midfield.

For me it's:

Totally disagree that you can't interchange position with our side at full strength.

Viduka, Owen and Martins were doing it when we switched to 4-3-3 with Barton pushing further on from midfield.

They were playing in positions they were comfortable in, if you play Jonas as creative midfielder then you're talking a large percentage of his game away which is the ability to bomb up and down the wing, just because he's on the wing doesn't mean he can't create from their.

Jonas has a cracking work rate and would track back into midfield also from that role and if Owen can play there behind a front two then I am dam sure Jonas could do it with ease. A free role may be great for him..

Guest Johan

Lets wait till we see if Jonas can adapt to the PL when playing in his natural position before we start talking about him playing am, striker and goalie..

If Colo signs ;

Harper

Beye        Faye      Coloccini      Enrique

Geremi

Barton

Jonas                                      N'Zogbia

Owen

Martins

We need centre midfielders desperately, pretty good in other areas though.

If Colo signs ;

Harper

Geremi

Barton

Owen

Martins

Looks better, but I'd play Guthrie and Butt over Geremi.

If Colo signs ;

Harper

Geremi

Barton

Owen

Martins

Same here and also Bartons going to be getting a lengthy ban from fa

If Colo signs ;

Harper

Geremi

Barton

Owen

Martins

I'm one of the few that sees the qualities of Geremi in our side, however i recognise that we should not be going into next season with Geremi as our main centre midfielder.

Butt for me last season was incapable of playing in a 442 system and have not seen enough of Guthrie to comment on his ability.

Hopefully we will at least get one good centre midfielder in, preferabley two. 

If Colo signs ;

Harper

Geremi

Barton

Owen

Martins

Agree, that would be my side if we're going to play 4-4-2

Thats a three man midfield with three cm's.  The outer cm's only need to cover the wings for opponents wingers, their attacks will be mostly down the centre.  Did you miss the last 10 games of last season?

I didn't miss any of it. What I saw was an insipid, uncreative midfield that offered nothing at all, especially out wide. That's not because we didn't GO wide, we did. We just didn't have the personnel to do anything with the ball.

The only reason we got any points at all in the last 10 games was because of the talent of the triumvirate of Martins, Owen and Viduka not because of the guille and creativity of our midfield.

For me it's:

That's not what I said. In fact that's not even nearly what I said. What I said was this:

"Ronaldo is a world-class player playing in a team of other world-class players, something that we're nowhere near at the moment. I think comparing his role in the Man U team with Guttierez's role in ours is at best shaky. What we need is service from the flanks, and sticking Guthrie out there will not provide it."

Thats a three man midfield with three cm's.  The outer cm's only need to cover the wings for opponents wingers, their attacks will be mostly down the centre.  Did you miss the last 10 games of last season?

I didn't miss any of it. What I saw was an insipid, uncreative midfield that offered nothing at all, especially out wide. That's not because we didn't GO wide, we did. We just didn't have the personnel to do anything with the ball.

The only reason we got any points at all in the last 10 games was because of the talent of the triumvirate of Martins, Owen and Viduka not because of the guille and creativity of our midfield.

I never said it was creative but if you played with out and out wingers in a midfield 3 you'd get destroyed.  Plus I'd say Guthrie will offer more creativity, get rid of butt for Faye and put Zog in a central role and you have more creativity.

For me it's:

They were playing in positions they were comfortable in, if you play Jonas as creative midfielder then you're talking a large percentage of his game away which is the ability to bomb up and down the wing, just because he's on the wing doesn't mean he can't create from their.

Agree.  Players should play to their strengths.  As talented as Jonas may be, it would be best to utilise him on the wing, at least at first.  Ronaldo has been talked about and he too is most effective on the wings rather than in the middle. 

Anyway, I'm 99% sure KK will play Jonas on the wings.

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/deportes/2008/08/05/0003_7037811.htm

apologies if link already posted

ps its not Rick Astley :coolsmiley:

One of those translations

"Coloccini:  "I would like to say good-bye of the fondness as corresponds"

The head office was given a beating in Abegondo and today or tomorrow will pass medical exam in Newcastle

Author:  Alfonso Andrade Date of publication:  4/8/2008

To the acquisition of Fabricio Coloccini by the Newcastle lacks alone the firm, but to the closing of this edition the transfer not yet was an official.  By being still footballer of the Sports one, the international one Argentine left behind its family weekend in Majorca and he returned to be coached in the afternoon in Abegondo, where an authentic beating in company of them was given ruled out and injured of the joint one coruñés:  Aouate, Pablo I Love, Rodri, Adrián López, Jairo and Taborda.  Stayed away Munúa, with permission of the club. 

After a session of exercises and careers to the orders of the physical coach José Angel Franganillo, and of an endless party of futvóley with Adrián López, the head office explained its presence in the sports complex when many situated it already in English lands. 

"I came to coach me to Abegondo because the clubs not yet finished to sign and wanted to move me also a little for lose not the rhythm of training", commented. 

Later it recognized that in brief will pass review with the English doctors.  "They have to confirm it me now, after the training, but tomorrow or past -for the present Tuesday or tomorrow Wednesday- I will pass recognition in Newcastle, but we are waiting for that the two clubs finish its agreements, because they remain pending details, so I do not want to speak a lot since this is not finished". 

The prudence of its statements contrasts with its warm hug to one of the employees of the club before being withdrawn to the wardrobe.  A gesture that sounded unmistakably to farewell.  But the Argentine head office is reserved another, very special, for the fan of the Sports one. 

"The day that this be finished and all be signed i would like to say good-bye of the fondness as corresponds, but when be the moment, when be all resolved.  Now -it continues with conviction- what I want is that be finished as soon as possible, and alone later to say good-bye, but for now I prefer to be tranquil and a little to the margin.  When he be done do not I know if some days will give me to come here, and if I will not say good-bye through the press", summarized with uncertainty. 

A millionaire salary

It speculated besides with the possibility that Coloccini was left to see yesterday or today by the plaza of Pontevedra, but the own footballer rules out that possibility:  "With the Sports one I have all fixed, correct, so I need to go for nothing by the club.  The unique thing that would have that to sign would be in Newcastle". 

The agreement among the clubs was summarized last week and has been confirmed by the own Sports one.  Have not transcended for now the final figures of the transfer, but round the 11.5 million euro, with another million more by objectives. 

The footballer will pass to charge, as confirmed their representative, two times and average more than in the Sports one.  This is, around 2.5 million euro by each one of the five seasons that even in the Newcastle, where will be to the orders of a myth of the English soccer, Kevin Keegan. 

For me it's:

Who said you'd be taking that away?

Jonas could play in a similiar position that owen took up towards the end of last season. So playing owen in an attacking midfield role ditracted from him being a striker did it? 

Scored more goals and opened up space for the other 2  making runs down either wing!  Oh no jonas couldn't possiblt do that! Get a grip man