Hertha Berlin 1 - 0 Newcastle - 01/08/08 - post match reaction from page 17

Skirge

Looking at this team, we need more than Oba and Owen

Spot on. End of last season I was expecting a lot of transfer activity and to really put together a team who could push for a decent season. Except we still have a small squad not much talent to be honest and still playing players we know are no good.

Yeah fair enough you can argue that we have Martins Owen and Viduka out but you have to have a team big enough to accomofate injuries and suspensions and at the moment we simply do not!

You cant really expect to have replacements for Owen Martins and Viduka

I agree, though maybe for Viduka whose fitness just isn't reliable.  My point was we need more in the midfield as well, where we lack creativity, speed and ability to cross and if I was being brutally honest, have a DM whose legs are well past their best.

Guest neesy111

Spot on. End of last season I was expecting a lot of transfer activity and to really put together a team who could push for a decent season. Except we still have a small squad not much talent to be honest and still playing players we know are no good.

Yeah fair enough you can argue that we have Martins Owen and Viduka out but you have to have a team big enough to accomofate injuries and suspensions and at the moment we simply do not!

Its unlucky that we have injuries to all three but the fact remains that after that we have nothing up front. I mean providing we play a 4-3-3 again next season what are we going to do if 2 of them get injured when we know there is nothing in the team or reserves to replace them!?

we are not playing 4-3-3 next season though

Guest neesy111

remember we will have a completely different backline and strikeforce and probably a playmaker in midfield

if we had 2 strikers that can shoot 2day, probably would of won

Its unlucky that we have injuries to all three but the fact remains that after that we have nothing up front. I mean providing we play a 4-3-3 again next season what are we going to do if 2 of them get injured when we know there is nothing in the team or reserves to replace them!?

we are not playing 4-3-3 next season though

Well isnt that what we had last season which brought us the turn around in fortune? Owen playing slightly deeper behind them?

We that was pish from what I saw. Not much pace in the side, woeful final product and absolutely nothing up front. Guthrie and Jonas did impress me. However, if we are relying on Smith and Ameobi as backup next season, then we are knackered. Neither looked interested. Just what does Alan Smith do when he is on the pitch, because it beats the shite outta me?

Promising: Jonas, Duff.

Average: Guthrie, Taylor, Enrique, Krul, Harper, Cacapa.

Poor: Milner, Butt, N'Zogbia.

Shit: Ameobi, Smith, Geremi.

First half wasn't bad considering the lineup, second was crap.

Still plenty of work to do and a few new faces definitely required.

desperately need a CD, CM and possibly LB. butt sprays the ball about but there is no one to take the game by the scruff of the neck and dictate it. looked so short of ideas when camped around their box at the end there. suppose it doesnt help when y ou're striker can't operate his friggin legs.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Thought it was ok, an improvement on Doncaster, but no cutting edge

Remember we were without 7 of our strongest players who would all start

Given

Beye

Faye

Barton

Viduka

Owen

Martins

Guest neesy111

Given

Beye

Faye

Barton

Viduka

Owen

Martins

we want to be improving each game, so sunday there should be an improvement, then for the 2 home games after that

Harper - 5

N'Zogbia - 4

Cacapa - 5

Taylor - 5

Geremi - 4

Gutierrez - 7

Guthrie - 5

Butt - 5

Milner - 4

Ameobi - 4

Smith - 3

Duff - 6

Enrique - 5

Krul - 3

Didn't watch it btw. Just going off what I've read in the last two pages of this thread.

/James

Given

Beye

Faye

Barton

Viduka

Owen

Martins

Make that 5 coming back for the start of the season

If that tonight doesn't put a rocket up Keegans arse to push for more players then nothing will

Guest goal!

No but expecting even 1 half decent (4th) striker considering Owen and Viduka's injury record ain't asking too much is it.

Carroll + reserves strikers would be an upgrade on Ameobi and that waste of space Smith...