Decent Article from the Guardian re: Shearer

Disco

In response to earlier comments, Yes iam serious. I think Shearer's influence and role at the club is the reason we are in this situation today. I don't think im alone when i say its almost a cert that he aided souness in keeping his job, losing robson his job, and dictating that he played ahead of bellamy and kluivert. There was a reason gullit wanted him gone, and a reason why robson tried to sell him to liverpool. It was also shearers selfish greed which made him play on, just to break milburns record. Any other striker, but for one of his influence would have been warming the bench by the end of his career, he was too slow, immobile and lack luster.

The only thing that distated Kluivert from not playing was his addiction to Sausage and Bean slices.

Guest DazzaNufc1892

In response to earlier comments, Yes iam serious. I think Shearer's influence and role at the club is the reason we are in this situation today. I don't think im alone when i say its almost a cert that he aided souness in keeping his job, losing robson his job, and dictating that he played ahead of bellamy and kluivert. There was a reason gullit wanted him gone, and a reason why robson tried to sell him to liverpool. It was also shearers selfish greed which made him play on, just to break milburns record. Any other striker, but for one of his influence would have been warming the bench by the end of his career, he was too slow, immobile and lack luster.

The only thing that distated Kluivert from not playing was his addiction to Sausage and Bean slices.

like kluivert said in an interview when he left, everybody knew it should have been bellamy and kluivert, but due to club politics, it could only ever be bellamy and shearer or kluivert and shearer. There was never a fair chance for other players. Bellamy summed it up in that text

Guest ObaStar

wow shut up you are talking about the best striker in the premier league ever. The only man to score more than 30 goals 3 seasons in  a row.

Kluivert had undoubted class, wasnt fit enough. Gullit did awful with enough money to spend, dont blame it on Shearer. Shearer was still had the ability to hold up the ball, win headers, score goals at the end of his career. Its a crime to want to break the all time goalscoring record for your hometown club?? Fuck off.

Guest DazzaNufc1892

Kluivert had undoubted class, wasnt fit enough. Gullit did awful with enough money to spend, dont blame it on Shearer. Shearer was still had the ability to hold up the ball, win headers, score goals at the end of his career. Its a crime to want to break the all time goalscoring record for your hometown club?? Fuck off.

Did you see him at the end of his career? he was a passenger! and yes it is a crime, he claimed to love this club, if he did, he would have said im not up to it anymore, im slowing the team down, its time ot go

Yep, and Kluivert really went on to prove that he was the better striker / worthy of a place ahead of Shearer following his release from SJP, didn't he?

like kluivert said in an interview when he left, everybody knew it should have been bellamy and kluivert, but due to club politics, it could only ever be bellamy and shearer or kluivert and shearer. There was never a fair chance for other players. Bellamy summed it up in that text

I saw Kluivert out on the piss one week, four nights in a row, yes four nights in a row. That says it all.

I saw Kluivert out on the piss one week, four nights in a row, yes four nights in a row. That says it all.

About you it does.

Guest elbee909

About you it does.

Douché!

About you it does.

I knew someone would say that. :lol:

About you it does.

I knew someone would say that. :lol:

Makes you wonder what Big Ron would've had to say about Kluivert if he'd known about that little gem...

:naughty:

Kluivert had undoubted class, wasnt fit enough. Gullit did awful with enough money to spend, dont blame it on Shearer. Shearer was still had the ability to hold up the ball, win headers, score goals at the end of his career. Its a crime to want to break the all time goalscoring record for your hometown club?? f*** off.

Did you see him at the end of his career? he was a passenger! and yes it is a crime, he claimed to love this club, if he did, he would have said im not up to it anymore, im slowing the team down, its time ot go

I did mate, i was sitting in the Gallogate. Aye, he wasnt mobile, he couldnt beat his man, but he still won more headers than most, and was still a fuckin good captain. And i cant believe your begruging the greatest striker in Premier League/our modern history a goal scoring reocrd he deserves, then your a plank.

We put all our eggs in one basket, and it didn't come off. You can say it was bad luck that he got injured, or you could say it was a risk we shouldn't have taken.

The worse mistake came later, when he became bigger than the club and ended up playing for too long.

We put all our eggs in one basket, and it didn't come off. You can say it was bad luck that he got injured, or you could say it was a risk we shouldn't have taken.

The worse mistake came later, when he became bigger than the club and ended up playing for too long.

First bit sounds like Owen. ;)

Just the first bit, Dave? ;)

Oooh, don't get me started.......

If you sign your record goalscorer the deals a good un. I dont think it was Al's fault we won nowt during his times  I look at Cort, Bassedas, Andy O'Brien, Nick The Greek, Marcle...in fact there are loads more players in front of Al.

Can we have a paragraph on the good stuff as well?

If you sign your record goalscorer the deals a good un. I dont think it was Al's fault we won nowt during his times  I look at Cort, Bassedas, Andy O'Brien, Nick The Greek, Marcle...in fact there are loads more players in front of Al.

Exactly. Shearer was let down by some of the dross signed around him, not the other way round.

Looking back, it obviously didn't work out as planned. He was clearly a bit more than we could afford at the time. Maybe if we'd won the Premiership in 1996-97 we wouldn't have had to sell Sir Les (and sundry other players). As it was, Shearer's injury left us heading into our first CL excursion with only one effective striker, and soon he was knackered too. Meanwhile, the best form of Shearer's career was at Blackburn and his first season with us. He was never the same player after that injury, though Bobby was clever enough to figure out how to give him a new lease of life.

I cannot believe some people actually consider Shearer to have been a bad signing.

I am actually rather gobsmacked.

Furthermore, I would like to ask that someone looks into where we have finished when Shearer had injury/conflict free seasons with good suppliers of the ball i.e. Gillespie, Ginola, Solano. Then compare them to seasons where we didn't have anyone good to supply the ball or when Shearer was out injured.

(sorry that sounds like babble but i'm sure you's get what I mean)