Jump to content

Barton Charged by FA for Dabo Incident


neesy111
 Share

Recommended Posts

From the BBC

 

The Football Association has charged Newcastle's Joey Barton with violent conduct over his assault of then Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo.

 

Barton, 25, was given a four-month suspended prison sentence on 1 July for the May 2007 assault after admitting assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

 

The new charge comes after the FA received the relevant documents from that hearing at Manchester Crown Court.

 

Controversial Barton has until 13 August to respond to the charge.

 

Barton was released from prison on Monday after serving 74 days of his six-month prison sentence for a separate assault, in which he attacked a teenager in Liverpool city centre last year.

 

Newcastle officials met with Barton on Tuesday to discuss his future and Magpies boss Kevin Keegan told BBC Sport on Sunday that the player would be given a second chance by the club.

 

The case will be heard by an independent regulatory commission on an as yet unspecified date.

 

Joey will be requesting a personal hearing in relation to the charge

 

Newcastle spokesman on Barton

 

There is no maximum sentence which could be issued to Barton by the FA and but a lengthy ban and possible fine could be the outcome if he is found guilty.

 

Newcastle have responded to the charge by questioning why they should be penalised for an incident which took place so long ago, and while the player was at a different club.

 

"The club has sought clarification from the Football Association as to why this decision has been reached now, given the incident occurred nearly 15 months ago," Newcastle said in a statement.

 

"Joey will be requesting a personal hearing in relation to the charge and the club will be making no further comment on the matter at this time."

 

For their part, the FA insists its hands were tied while the criminal investigation was ongoing, and that with no video footage of the incident, it was unable to interview players who were central to the police's case.

 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7535664.stm

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest elbee909

The FA have decided to do something now so they can jump on the bandwagon and show the world how fucking righteous they are. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as the suspention takes place that the bweginning of the season I'm not too fussed. It's not likly that he'll be anywhere near match fit by then. Of course if they go crazy and give him a 12 match suspension or something then I'll change my mind.

 

Seems a little unfair that NUFC are being punished for something that happened  between 2 Man Shitty players. But that's life I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest johnson293

So the FA govern training sessions now as well???

 

Not condoning what he did, and if the incident had happened in a match I could understand, but for them to punish for something that happens in a training session?  :idiot2:

 

Also, surely he's had his punishment in court, regardless of whether people think it was enough, or not.

 

And why wait till now? If the courts hadn't found him guilty of the attack on Dabo, would they not have punished him, depsite the fact that there was still a fight?

 

As someone says above, it just smacks of jumping on the bandwagon after his backing from the KK/club.

Link to post
Share on other sites

why wasnt this handed out when he was given his sentence 2 or 3 months ago?! How were there hands tied then? Why have they waited until now?

 

we could sue man city for this tbh

 

I don't see how. It wasn't Man City's fault Barton is a clown and assualt another Man City player and we knew about the incident when we signed him

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest johnson293

Did John Hartson get done for booted Eyal Berkovic in the face? If not, nothing should come of this (in theory).

 

Blatant PR move from the FA btw.

 

From Wiki, so not the best of sources....

 

Hartson will always be remembered for his 'hardman' attitude, as well as his goalscoring. He had a few controversial moments in his career, with the major one coming in his West Ham days. In a training ground incident, Hartson kicked team-mate Eyal Berkovic in the face, after the Israeli midfielder had punched Hartson in the leg as he attempted to help Berkovic to his feet. The incident was captured on camera. Hartson was fined for the incident.

 

Hartson was fined, but it doesn't state by who - and it was caught on TV, whereas Bartons wasn't, though there were obviously witnesses.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't Hartson get off pretty much free with kicking Bekovic in the head in a similar training ground incident even though it was caught on camera?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest lebowski

This is fucking infuriating. We have just completed our renegotiations with Barton based presumably on the basis that he is out of jail and available to play. If this story is correct then the FA's timing is a fucking disgrace it gives us nowhere to go if they now decide to hand out a ban. How long ago did the assault take place that they are only deciding to take action now. I don't believe it

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...