Nicky Butt - "Last season was embarrassing"

Leazes1986

From Times Online

August 5, 2008

Nicky Butt and Newcastle aim to put record straight

George Caulkin in Mallorca

Newcastle United could not have chosen a more fitting venue for their two Spanish friendly matches than the ONO Stadium; with the new season less a than a fortnight away, ‘oh no’ is an increasingly familiar refrain from supporters. If it was not for Kevin Keegan, the distress might be overwhelming; three successive defeats, no goals scored, a flurry of injuries, Joey Barton and takeover speculation.

Judgement will be suspended until Keegan leads his players to Old Trafford on August 17 and then, 14 days later, when the transfer window closes, but for every cause for confidence, there is counterbalance. No manager has greater resonance with Geordie fans than Keegan, yet while there is little appetite for another campaign of drudgery, even he needs time and patience.

Lest anyone has forgotten, Nicky Butt – a figure of genuine substance at St James’ Park – yesterday described last season as “embarrassing” and “a failure.” Respite is necessary, but elusive. Lift-off is craved, but the countdown continues. Keegan is the ideal man to build dreams, but even he would struggle to motivate empty pegs in the dressing-room.

As far as the club’s ownership is concerned, a blunt denial has emanated from India, where Reliance Communications and Anil Ambani, their billionaire chairman, had been linked with a £260 million bid to buy the club. “The news report is completely false and baseless,” the company said in a statement. “There are no such plans.” Yet still the rumours do not wither. The Profitable Group of Singapore is the latest.

Related Links

* Ashley mystery contrasts with Keegan's mood

* Barton facing massive ban from FA

* Davidson’s plans are more than pipedreams

The moment has arrived for Mike Ashley, who has stated that he is seeking extra investment in Newcastle, to make his intentions public; belatedly, that is expected to take place this week. Some important initiatives have been undertaken on Tyneside over the last year, from engaging with supporters to investing in a neglected Academy, but the owner’s reticence has bred a perception of drift.

It is not too late for momentum to return - judicious signings and a mission statement to restore identity would help – but the outlook is challenging. While Mark Viduka is the only striker guaranteed to miss the start of the season, Michael Owen, Obafemi Martins and Andy Carroll did not participate in Mallorca, while Shola Ameobi sustained a knee injury. Alan Smith has scored one league goal in three years.

Fabricio Coloccini will join Newcastle from Deportivo La Coruna this week, but like Jonas Guttierrez and Sebastien Bassong, the Argentina centre-half is untested in England. Danny Guthrie is the only other addition to a slim squad which has lost Emre Belozoglu, David Rozenhal, Stephen Carr, Peter Ramage, Lamine Diatta and James Triosi. Reinforcements are necessary.

So, too, is improvement, because recent memories are bitter. “Last season was embarrassing for us and it wasn’t nice,” Butt, the former England international, said. “Last year was a failure. We didn’t perform well and we finished right down the bottom of the table. This year we have to improve and get back up the table where we should be. Going off last year’s finish, it is not something to be proud of.

“Finishing down there hurts. It hurt me and the rest of the lads, they feel that as much as I do. Last year we had to turn it around and eventually we put a run together.

It will be another tough year because every club is improving, everyone is throwing money at it and getting better, buying better players. We have to keep up with that. If you stand still you can go backwards.”

Keegan’s methods are appreciated. “The manager is very upbeat about the place,” said Butt. “Everyone has admiration for him. You listen to him when he speaks. He has been there and done it as a player and manager and when you have that, it is good for the club. He knows the club inside out, he knows what he wants and what the team needs.” His hands must be untied.

Fabricio Coloccini will join Newcastle from Deportivo La Coruna this week, but like Jonas Guttierrez and Sebastien Bassong, the Argentina centre-half is untested in England. Danny Guthrie is the only other addition to a slim squad which has lost Emre Belozoglu, David Rozenhal, Stephen Carr, Peter Ramage, Lamine Diatta and James Triosi. Reinforcements are necessary.

Whilst I agree with the point he's making, those three played how much football last season?

Whilst I agree with the point he's making, those three played how much football last season?

fixed the bolding.

fixed the bolding.

Thats a point, but I wouldn't have thought the last 3 put in 90 minutes altogether

fixed the bolding.

Thats a point, but I wouldn't have thought the last 3 put in 90 minutes altogether

Aye, maybe we need a dual bolding font, extra boldyness for mega points.  :laugh:

The moment has arrived for Mike Ashley, who has stated that he is seeking extra investment in Newcastle, to make his intentions public; belatedly, that is expected to take place this week.

First I have heard of this. Hopefully that will stop the constant press shite for a couple of days.

The moment has arrived for Mike Ashley, who has stated that he is seeking extra investment in Newcastle, to make his intentions public; belatedly, that is expected to take place this week.

First I have heard of this. Hopefully that will stop the constant press shite for a couple of days.

Well spotted, I missed that bit.

Be interesting to see what comes out.

What's wrong with him saying that? He's admitting he and the rest of the squad underperformed, taking responsibility in the public domain.

Should he have pretended things were ok last season, or just said nothing at all? I'd rather hear the players saying how aware of their own failings they are.

Smith has yet to score after 37 appearances for Newcastle since moving from Manchester United last year. He has not registered a Premier League goal since November 2005 and is also the subject of a transfer bid from Everton.

Holy allah o_O