Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

Taylor tidied up a lot but the quality of their delivery helped.

I thought it was the other way round. Never really noticed till the 2nd half as they were defending closer so I can see from my seat. Thought Taylor attacked the ball really well and battled hard, Smith dropped deep a few times for headers as well and Simpson swept up really well.

It's ridiculous isn't it. Krul has 45 minutes during which he makes 3 good saves and 3 bad errors and suddenly he's "a lot better" than Harper. Ranger will be made out to be the next Drogba at some point today, whilst Carroll is aready the geordie Duncan Ferguson.

Nile (just about) deserved motm for me but as with Carroll and Krul he'll be made out to be something he's not and then blown down like every house of cards eventually is.

Credit where credit's due and no more, please.

Bit harsh to say he doesn't have a football brain, he layed the ball off to midfielders in really good positions at least half a dozen times. Also held the ball up well and waited for an option rather than panicing. He needs to improve some aspects but o thought some of his build up play was excellent and showed really maturity at times.

His shot when practically on the floor wasn't bad either :D

Bit harsh to say he doesn't have a football brain, he layed the ball off to midfielders in really good positions at least half a dozen times. Also held the ball up well and waited for an option rather than panicing. He needs to improve some aspects but o thought some of his build up play was excellent and showed really maturity at times.

His shot when practically on the floor wasn't bad either :D

Possibly but he's a striker so I judge them on their off the ball movement as well, which is something he seriously needs to work on.

Didn't think he was as fantastic as is the general consensus on here but he did impress, particularly in the second half when he had the confidence to run with the ball. Like Carroll, he needs to shoot more often, the quicker that first goal comes the better.

GET THE FUCK OUT

Nah, in all honesty I think he did deserve the MOTM award. He was good, probably an 7.5 or 8 out of ten. Seen a few 10/10's in the match thread ffs :lol:

MOTM is arguably fair enough but I don't think there were many other contenders tbf, we were a bit hit and miss all over. Much better than against Wednesday though.

Yeah, I agree. There wasn't really anyone else in the running for the man of the match award, was there? Next for me would have been probably Smith and then Steve Harper.

I think Danny Simpson and Steven Taylor did very well too. Made it look very easy, kudos especially to Simpson considering he's not a centre half.

Enrique looked comfortable as always.

Great to see him playing along side his dad last night.

Thought he had a good 2nd half, as said his positional play was not great but was looking tierd 2nd half and Harper and Geremi seemed to keep shouting at him and getting him in position. Wouldnt say he didnt have a footballing brain, he put players making runs forward in for clear shots at least 3 times, would have liked to have seen him shoot at least once from those rather than pass but looked like he was just trying to do the right thing for the team

Overall he looks very raw and id play Carroll and Ameobi ahead of him everytime, but will be a usefull player in this league at least based on what we have seen so far.

Worked very hard last night and did pretty well. Interesting thing about him was that he didn't look like a natural goalscorer based solely on those 90mins, didn't seem to bust a bollock to get into the 6 yard box at all opportunities and often went out wide as has been mentioned. It's a massive fucking step up from the reserves mind, and he'll learn a lot very quickly. Promising.

Worked very hard last night and did pretty well. Interesting thing about him was that he didn't look like a natural goalscorer based solely on those 90mins, didn't seem to bust a bollock to get into the 6 yard box at all opportunities and often went out wide as has been mentioned. It's a massive fucking step up from the reserves mind, and he'll learn a lot very quickly. Promising.

I mentioned this last week but I think under somebody like Shearer, he'd come on leaps and bounds.

Guest Stephen927

Worked very hard last night and did pretty well. Interesting thing about him was that he didn't look like a natural goalscorer based solely on those 90mins, didn't seem to bust a bollock to get into the 6 yard box at all opportunities and often went out wide as has been mentioned. It's a massive f***ing step up from the reserves mind, and he'll learn a lot very quickly. Promising.

I mentioned this last week but I think under somebody like Shearer, he'd come on leaps and bounds.

Aye, and the way Shearer basically made sure he was rewarded with a new contract, it could help his confidence no end to know that a great like Shearer has so much faith in him.

Was very impressed with the lad. Everything stuck to him and he didn´t panic. He looked up and played the ball into someones feet. Unlike some of the others who just head it to no-one. Shouldn´t be worried to take a pop at goal though. My man of the match the other night.

Still, bit early to tell, but he looks very very promising. Footballing brain aswell.

The only question mark for me over this lad has been his temperament, and I felt that was answered on Monday. He grew in stature by the minute. I expect him to be our first choice striker before the end of this season.

(Assuming we don't sign Torres in January, like)

I have never understood the "well some people massively over rate him so I will massively under rate the lad to balance it out" mentality.

Against Leicester he was quite in the first half, looked very raw, like say an 18 year old would in their debut league start. He drifted about too much but then wasn't given much help.

Second half he started to get a bit more involved and his confidence grew. He did drift out wide far too much (especially considering he was the loan striker) and Nolan was often our furthest player forward. To be fair to Ranger I don't know where the hell Geremi was for most of the game (I dont think Geremi really knew where he was) so Ranger was probably (incorrectly) trying to fill that gap and leaving the position he was supposed to be in empty.

As his confidence grew he did start to get better and better though and played some very intelligent football, he never paniced or just battled for the ball and flicking it on anywhere (see Carroll), he kept the ball and waited for support and put someone in, he could have had half a dozen assists if his team mates took some of the chances he put on a plate for them. He also started looking more of a threat.

All in all it wasn't the perfect game but it was a good game given the role he was given and 18 or 28 he performed it well. He will get more confident and become more of a threat (the one chance he really had was not far off at all and from distance).

I don't think the lad will set the league on fire this season scoring for fun but from that showing he looks like he can come in when needed and do a job, just hope he keeps progressing because he has some real potential.

I was more impressed with that performance than I have of Carrolls so far (and I like Carroll), AC is a beast who will win a lot of possesion and work well with someone looking to run onto flick ons (Lovenkrands) but Ranger has something different about him, he retains possession better and tries to make something happen rather than flick on and hope.

Would probably be my 4th choice at the moment but not a bad 4th choice to have.

Yeah, he was strong on the ball from what I saw and kept his composure well in the second half. Of course an 18-year-old kid making his first start isn't going to tear the house down. He looked good and I'm happy to have him in the squad based on what I've seen so far.