Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

It's ridiculous that Ranger is already being written off by some on here. when Carroll was 19 he off being a failure at Preston and didn't score a senior goal until 20. Now he has established himself as a relatively important first team member. Depending on what time of day he was born, Mr. Ranger may be 18 or 19 right now, he has plenty of time and I would hope the coaching staff would be looking to help this promising young talent. Loan is the correct option.

Guest optimistic nit

People say he's got talent but has he? He hardly looked lethal in the games he's played missed a few sitters, scored one tap in and one that you'd hope a striker would score. If on top of that he's being a c*** and with the latest claims of bother with Simpson just get him a train ticket to his 'Endz' and let him be on his way.

He has shown good ability to hold the ball up and at times good vision even if he should have been more selfish. When he was last getting half a run in the team Carroll looked about as prolific as a rich tea biscuit the differrence is Carroll was given a good run started banging them in for fun. Should be a lesson in that.

Carroll's run of games were in the Premier League not the Championship.

They weren't like, up until January, Carroll was falling well short of what we needed even in the CCC.

true but at least even in his worst times he looked a remote goal threat, ranger does not

Opinion - I've seen Ranger miss a number of good chances and score twice. In my eyes "not being a goal threat" is someone like Leon Best who is so awful that he doesn't get chances. Ranger's only started 7 games and is 19 years old (today!) ffs. Talk about being written off.

Up until the end of January, Carroll had only four goals and was starting most games.

Right but Leon Best for about 10 for an ok Coventry side, could you see Ranger doing that? Also note Best isn't going round town making a complete t*** of himself.

Leon Best's 23 with at least three seasons of playing week-in, week-out in the Championship under his belt for Christ's sake. Can you honestly not see the difference?

I'm failing to see where I said Best was a better striker than Ranger or 'more of a threat' I commented SOLELY on Ranger's performances. So 'for christ sake' can you not see the difference. Ranger is an average striker that will dip between L1 and CCC for the rest of his career partly due to his sheer lack of professionalism.

:lol: like you can tell at 18/19 where a player is going to end up after seeing a handful of his performances

So just as it was 'cool' to love Ranger, suddenly its now 'cool' to say he's crap. He's neither a world beater nor terrible, but he does have the potential to one day be a decent Premiership striker. The reality is, behaviour aside, signing Leon Best was the worst thing that could happen to him. If he's a confidence player, he obviously won't show much if he gets occasional 10 minute runouts. Despite limited pitch time, he's still managed 2 goals in his debut season.

Personally, I think he looks dangerous whenever he plays, but he's lucky if he plays a few minutes a month now. I'm starting to warm to Hughton, but one thing I feel he's done wrong is the way he has handled Ranger. So yes, like everyone else has said, we need to loan the bumbaclart out.

It's becoming pretty predictable that the opinions shoot to the other end of the spectrum, whenever a player doesn't play for a while. That's not aimed at Kezman btw cos i know you've always not liked him.

I think he's a good talent personally; the best of our current crop of strikers with the ball at his feet. He's got a really nice touch and decent technique - but it's been the same all season, for someone who's knocked goals in for fun in the youth leagues, it's bizarre how he doesn't even seem to know where the goal is. That goal against Palace was the hardest he's kicked a ball all season, n'all.

He's definitely, definitely one to hang onto for now. He might turn out to be nowt but he might turn out to be a really decent player. He's still only very young so i wouldn't even necassarily send him out on loan next season. His progress was only accellerated this year cos we didn't sign another striker in the summer. Keep him at the club for another year, get Hughton to calm him down and try and sort out whatever social problems (he may or may not have). Try and give him a taster of the big time and make the bugger want it. Then send him out on loan and see how he does. That's what i'd do anyway. I don't see a need to rush him off to another club just yet.

Talk of selling him is nuts, though. And he's looked twice the footballer Best has, absolutely no doubt in my mind about that.

Very sensible post and spot on about the not playing thing.

I can understand the concerns about attitude, especially considering how he wound up here but to write him off questioning his ability is fucking mental but unfortunately not surprising. 

Was always going to struggle at this level due to the fact he got a lot goals for the youth team because he was so much bigger, stronger & quicker than most CB he came up against at that level.

This is not me changing my opinion as I said it way back http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,59510.msg1660976.html#msg1660976

He did okay against Leicester for the 1st team but CB don't really mind a CF who plays with his back to goal all game. He has work on getting into positions where he can shoot at goal. The strength will come with age & gym work, so really needs to work on his movement & start lurking in the box where he thinks the ball is going to drop or be crossed to.

He needs to look at AC for on field improvement as on 21/12

His shot stats

15 = On target

34 = Off target

2 = Hitting the woodwork

Now they are

A massive improvement, result loads of goals for AC.

Guest toonlass

He hasn't exactly been given a load of time to prove himself on the field has he? He certainly seems to make a nuisance of himself to defenders when he plays, and plays some cracking passes to his team-mates. Houghton should give him some time on the pitch before the end of the season.

So just as it was 'cool' to love Ranger, suddenly its now 'cool' to say he's crap. He's neither a world beater nor terrible, but he does have the potential to one day be a decent Premiership striker. The reality is, behaviour aside, signing Leon Best was the worst thing that could happen to him. If he's a confidence player, he obviously won't show much if he gets occasional 10 minute runouts. Despite limited pitch time, he's still managed 2 goals in his debut season.

Personally, I think he looks dangerous whenever he plays, but he's lucky if he plays a few minutes a month now. I'm starting to warm to Hughton, but one thing I feel he's done wrong is the way he has handled Ranger. So yes, like everyone else has said, we need to loan the bumbaclart out.

stuff being cool , try being hionest and realistic instead. he's a young lad with definite potenetial but has shown little to warrant the wankfest that some have for him.

He hasn't exactly been given a load of time to prove himself on the field has he? He certainly seems to make a nuisance of himself to defenders when he plays, and plays some cracking passes to his team-mates. Houghton should give him some time on the pitch before the end of the season.

7 starts & then 23 as subs is a fair bit of game time for a player of his current ability. Were not going to drop AC, Loven or put him in above Shola just for the crack. Most of his passes are backwards if you watch. His goal against Palace give me hope that maybe he can maybe play the game like he did for the 2nd XI/U18.

Guest toonlass

7 starts & then 23 as subs is a fair bit of game time for a player of his current ability. Were not going to drop AC, Loven or put him in above Shola just for the crack. Most of his passes are backwards if you watch. His goal against Palace give me hope that maybe he can maybe play the game like he did for the 2nd XI/U18.

Some of his sub appearances have been with very little time left. I don't disagree that he should displace Lovelypants or AC but give him a chance ahead of Shola tbh.

Nile Ranger loves a sniff. Sold some girls £200/300 worth at my mates party last night, this is first hand aswell so I think it's safe to post.

Interesting, you probably shouldn't have posted it through.

I wonder how much drug testing is done by the Totesport Reserve League? Not a lot I guess.

Clubs are not allowed to drug test their own players.

Guest toonlass

Nile Ranger loves a sniff. Sold some girls £200/300 worth at my mates party last night, this is first hand aswell so I think it's safe to post.

do they not do random drug testing of footballers anymore?

Guest Heneage

Nope they do. Premier League players are told by their press officers to keep their mobiles on them at all times as they can be notifed at any time.

Nope they do. Premier League players are told by their press officers to keep their mobiles on them at all times as they can be notifed at any time.

'do they not do' followed by 'nope they do'

look, i've had a drink or two tonight and shit like that isn't going to help me follow the conversation.

Meph doesn't show up apparently.