Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

Of course he can finish. He banged them in for fun at reserve level.

So have many players, you need more composure and more confidence at the top level.

Agreed. It's  unwise to throw him into the lions right now. If he starts, and doesn't score, that will both  hurt him and the team. It will affect his confidence. He needs to build his confidence in Championship first,  like Carroll, before he's allowed to start games in PL

It's his roughness that result in his impacts when he comes on. At that point the opponent's defenders are feeling the fatigue, while Ranger is fresh and ready. If Ranger starts a game, his fatigue will correlate with the opponent's defenders. Thus he doesn't get his advantage of having more energy.

How can a young promising talent progress by not playing as many minutes as possible?? I don't understand.

He needs to be matched carefully. It's not sure he can handle the pressure if he's given the opportunity from start. The more games he goes without scoring, the more pressure will come down on him, and that could affect his confidence and become a real problem for him. Ranger is already benefiting as a substitute, he's getting more and more experience and will soon get his goal. But because he's a reserve, he got an excuse for not scoring. That frees him from the crack in confidence that may have been the result if he played from start in numerous of games without scoring.

I don't know how anyone can make the judgement Ranger won't make it, especially after Carroll's rise so soon after being thought not good enough.

Ranger is a much more exciting player than Carroll was at this stage. Said it before I'll say it again.

The problem is Carrolls development skyrocked in 12 months, something that might not happen with Ranger. But he's fast, strong, but from what I've seen needs to get smarter. On plenty of occasions saturday Enrique was trying to instruct him to cut inside or go out wide but he didn't know where he was running.

Gutted his goal didn't count, and wasn't far off from being onside either.

He's already a handful as a sub, which is important, as merely having a use is a good starting point for him.

I'd be telling him to calm down abit, working hards fine but it may be distracting him from getting that goal. Once he gets that goal he can combine the two qualities and we will see him go from strength to strength as a player.

The best thing about his "goal" the other day was that it was really Carroll-esque.  He lept into the air, held himself there, and nodded it past the oncoming keeper. 

Once he settles into a role in the starting XI over the next few year, I've no doubt he'll start to shine.

He may not be as good as Carroll is, or is going to be, but he could well be a solid striker for us - and better than anything else we have at the minute.

I'd agree he's way more exciting than Carroll was at 19.

Guest Nikos34

Of course he can finish. He banged them in for fun at reserve level.

So have many players, you need more composure and more confidence at the top level.

Agreed. It's  unwise to throw him into the lions right now. If he starts, and doesn't score, that will both  hurt him and the team. It will affect his confidence. He needs to build his confidence in Championship first,  like Carroll, before he's allowed to start games in PL

It's his roughness that result in his impacts when he comes on. At that point the opponent's defenders are feeling the fatigue, while Ranger is fresh and ready. If Ranger starts a game, his fatigue will correlate with the opponent's defenders. Thus he doesn't get his advantage of having more energy.

How can a young promising talent progress by not playing as many minutes as possible?? I don't understand.

He needs to be matched carefully. It's not sure he can handle the pressure if he's given the opportunity from start. The more games he goes without scoring, the more pressure will come down on him, and that could affect his confidence and become a real problem for him. Ranger is already benefiting as a substitute, he's getting more and more experience and will soon get his goal. But because he's a reserve, he got an excuse for not scoring. That frees him from the crack in confidence that may have been the result if he played from start in numerous of games without scoring.

To be fair I can see where you're coming from but I have to disagree. I think Ranger would have been the name on everybody's lips like Carroll has been if we had been starting him all season.

The best thing about his "goal" the other day was that it was really Carroll-esque.  He lept into the air, held himself there, and nodded it past the oncoming keeper. 

Once he settles into a role in the starting XI over the next few year, I've no doubt he'll start to shine.

He may not be as good as Carroll is, or is going to be, but he could well be a solid striker for us - and better than anything else we have at the minute.

He's got a hell of a jump on him, not just for the disallowed goal but he outjumped Jaaskelainen for another header earlier on too.

I'd like to see him play alongside a more experienced, more intelligent striker to see if he can pick up some good habits from them, something he's unlikely to get from Best, Lovenkrands or Shola.

He's got a hell of a jump on him, not just for the disallowed goal but he outjumped Jaaskelainen for another header earlier on too.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. How many times does a striker outjump a keeper, in a clean contest? He's a superb athlete.

There's no limit to what he can achieve, if he sets his mind to it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. How many times does a striker outjump a keeper, in a clean contest? He's a superb athlete.

There's no limit to what he can achieve, if he is given enough games to show it.

Fixed.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5136/5482011832_6e0b193d3c_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5017/5482012970_b46ee70409_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5297/5482013444_5a4dd2234e_z.jpg

Guest magpie99

If coached properly by someone like a Shearer, this kid has the potential to be even better than Carroll in a couple of years. I would actually start him every game from now till the end of the season, prob ably alongside Best because both have the physical presence, power and pace to upset defences and get goals.

Like someone else on here has said, once he gets the first, a few more will follow.

When Ranger bulks up he's going to be absolutely massive. Defenders will bounce off him.

Hopefully he can knuckle down and show some progression over the next 12 months, as I'm really excited to see how he develops. As I think he's got masses of potential.

I'm confident Nile is going to do well for us. He's not the finished article, but who is at his age?

For the limited amount of minutes he has had he's done OK, just needs a goal or two. Really looking forward to seeing how he develops. Hopefully as safety becomes assured Pardew will give him a couple of starts.