The 2008-09 Betting Thread

Benwell Lad

20 big bastards on a win.

Right so I've got about £44 in betfair now. Might try and see if I can get anywhere with this (I appreciate it's a low starting value...) by putting on bets I think might win rather than my usual betting technique of wasting £2-5 at the bookies on a friday with ridiculous accus.

For anyone who does this, do you have any rules about bankroll e.g. never put more than 10% on per bet etc.?

I'll undoubtedly get bored with this after 2-4 weeks and piss it all away on something stupid like the Tour, but it might be more interesting betting on something I actually know a little about.

i done exactly that including the 10% thing. once i broke through £100 but got carried away on accu's. since last april i've taken 3 lots of £100 out at seperate times and on top of that had a balance of just under £400 but recently had to rely on a refer and earn to get funds in. learned my lesson re accies (though had a short priced five timer up last night).£78 now in the kitty through mainly singles.

Interesting stuff, cheers. Do you look for value bets in particular or just what you fancy? Are there rough prices you look to bet at? How much of your betting is constrained to English football and how much do you branch out?

always look for value but sometimes man utd in form at home to most is just a take at whatever odds.

when placing accums i always try and make sure there is one game that starts after the others so i can lay that if the others have come in and at least get my stake back.

i'll look through most european leagues, top couple of divisions in the bigger leagues (VVV Venlo done good for me in the dutch 2nd where as in the french 2nd division i'm well down as with the portuguese league. started reasonably well in the swedish and norwegian leagues)).

in plays are good if a top team goes a goal behind early on.

basicallly like most i'll look at a lot of games and judge what i think will happen against the given odds.

Anyone ever do - what I used to call - 1-2-x accumulators?

You do your regular accumulators with loads of safe bets at relatively short odds, then you find a fixture where all outcomes are have a heavy-top fraction [ie. better than evens] and put your accumulator down three times with different results in that fixture each time.

I'm sure there's a better way to say you're hedging your bets than that, but pfft.

Done this today with Chelsea, Liverpool and Chelsea. Boro match being the one i put all 3 on, fiver each, minimum £30, 38 if its a draw.

I've been staying away from big accumulators recently but might plump for Man U, Bolton, Everton, Villa, Spurs and Stoke wins. Cheeky £10 would return about £800 i think. Might just go for a few larger doubles, but not really sure yet it's hard when theres a few teams with nothing to play for.

Anyone know if thats possible to win ?

Football  Barclays Premier League  Everton v West Ham  Match Result  16/05/2009 15:00  Everton @ 8/11 

Football Barclays Premier League Stoke v Wigan Match Result 16/05/2009 15:00 Stoke @ 5/4

Football Barclays Premier League Tottenham v Man. City Match Result 16/05/2009 15:00 Tottenham @ 4/5

Football Barclays Premier League Man. Utd v Arsenal Team Total Goals 16/05/2009 12:45 Arsenal Not to Score @ 11/10

Football Barclays Premier League Man. Utd v Arsenal Clean Sheet 16/05/2009 12:45 Man. Utd @ 6/5

Bet Type  Treble

Bet Channel Internet

Number of lines 7

Stake per line £10.00

Total stake £70.00

:dowie:

Placed it by mistake. Not sure how it can be a treble with 5 teams in it, or where the number of lines: 7 comes from.

Football  Barclays Premier League  Everton v West Ham  Match Result  16/05/2009 15:00  Everton @ 8/11 

Football Barclays Premier League Stoke v Wigan Match Result 16/05/2009 15:00 Stoke @ 5/4

Football Barclays Premier League Tottenham v Man. City Match Result 16/05/2009 15:00 Tottenham @ 4/5

Football Barclays Premier League Man. Utd v Arsenal Team Total Goals 16/05/2009 12:45 Arsenal Not to Score @ 11/10

Football Barclays Premier League Man. Utd v Arsenal Clean Sheet 16/05/2009 12:45 Man. Utd @ 6/5

Bet Type  Treble

Bet Channel Internet

Number of lines 7

Stake per line £10.00

Total stake £70.00

Placed it by mistake. Not sure how it can be a treble with 5 teams in it, or where the number of lines: 7 comes from.

you need 3 teams to win to get any return whatsover

Dunno how long the dutch second league is still on for but I would say almost 80% of the games always go over 2.5 goals. You can usually get odds of 1.6/1.7 and it's always a great bet for me.

Bet Type  Treble

Bet Channel Internet

Number of lines 7

Stake per line £10.00

Total stake £70.00

you need 3 teams to win to get any return whatsover

Managed to get the bet cancelled and placed singles. Any idea on what return i would have got if I had have kept it ? I'd imagine it would be a canny amount with all of them coming in and a £70 stake. Wish i had left it alone now  :lol:

Anyone ever do - what I used to call - 1-2-x accumulators?

You do your regular accumulators with loads of safe bets at relatively short odds, then you find a fixture where all outcomes are have a heavy-top fraction [ie. better than evens] and put your accumulator down three times with different results in that fixture each time.

I'm sure there's a better way to say you're hedging your bets than that, but pfft.

Done this today with Chelsea, Liverpool and Chelsea. Boro match being the one i put all 3 on, fiver each, minimum £30, 38 if its a draw.

Might do this more often, if Chelsea hang on il make an easy £23.

might just put a grand on us to go down in order to soften the blow

It won't soften the blow in the slightest, and there'll be a piece of you fuming about the bet if we stay up. I don't know how people can bet against their own team, I did it once, never again.

Where's all your money going for Sunday's outcomes then folks?

None of this wise after the event shit.

I might take advantage of the good odds on ManU to stick a few quid on them. No way I'm betting on our match apart from maybe a ludicrous scorecast when I'm actually in the grond. I don't have a clue what's going to happen, and I'm going to be enough of a wreck without wasting money on guessing.

anelka and ronaldo are both on 18 goals, gerrard on 16, so a bet on ronaldo,who's not named in the man utd squad, to win that title (2/1 betfair) and anelka to score at anytime against the mackems (5/4 betfair) will make a profit.

can even cover with gerrard at 20/1 incase he grabs 2 or more

Guest Brummiemag

Ive had a £10 double on a newcastle draw 5/2 and a Man U win 13/10, will make a profit of £70 if it comes in. Its basically a 7/1 shot and it seems a reasonable bet at those odds to me.

might just put a grand on us to go down in order to soften the blow

It won't soften the blow in the slightest, and there'll be a piece of you fuming about the bet if we stay up. I don't know how people can bet against their own team, I did it once, never again.

if we stay up I wont give a shite about the money, i'll be too busy enjoying the best day of my life

I have £12 on Chelsea, Gers, Celtic, Barca, Arsenal and Pool, return of about £185

£10 on all the above plus West Ham, and Blackburn for a return of about £650, cant be arsed to check that one

and of course £300 for us to go down which will get me a return of £530 should it happen

anelka and ronaldo are both on 18 goals, gerrard on 16, so a bet on ronaldo,who's not named in the man utd squad, to win that title (2/1 betfair) and anelka to score at anytime against the mackems (5/4 betfair) will make a profit.

That's very smart.

Bookies will award for joint top scorer, non?

That's very smart.

thats what i'm gonna check. also i want to make sure anelka will start.

edit. apparently if for example i had £20 on aronaldo to be top scorer and it is a tie with one other player then it's classed that £10 went on the wining bet and £10 on the loser. (thats betfair rules)

That's very smart.

edit. apparently if for example i had £20 on aronaldo to be top scorer and it is a tie with one other player then it's classed that £10 went on the wining bet and £10 on the loser. (thats betfair rules)

Weird. Wonder what other book maker policies are - for example, Will Hill has Anelka at 1/2, Ron at 6/4 and Stevie at 16/1.

If ties aren't accepted there, then Ronaldo shouldn't be available given his exclusion from the Manure Squad. It's not the same scheme you were working but 1/2 odds on Gerrard not scoring a hat-trick seems like something one might be willing to lump on. You can always hedge it with a Gerrard win too.

That's provided they don't have a similar policy to Betfair.

That's very smart.

Weird. Wonder what other book maker policies are - for example, Will Hill has Anelka at 1/2, Ron at 6/4 and Stevie at 16/1.

If ties aren't accepted there, then Ronaldo shouldn't be available given his exclusion from the Manure Squad. It's not the same scheme you were working but 1/2 odds on Gerrard not scoring a hat-trick seems like something one might be willing to lump on. You can always hedge it with a Gerrard win too.

That's provided they don't have a similar policy to Betfair.

ties are accepted just they don't pay out  as a straight forward win.

the main thing is that anelka has to score to win it outright and he is much better odds to score at anytime in the match than he is to win the leading goalscorer.