Manchester United 1 - 1 Newcastle - 17/08/08 - post match reaction from page 26

Dave

that was a great game and we had chances to nick it; looked even sides in the second half with Jonas outstanding - ok, they had players out but so did we, with Ronal-fuckface-do and Tevez they will be a different proposition but I certainly don't feel we were outclassed today and you can only play who's put in front of you.

All in all, a great start, well done King Kev and the lads!

NICK BUTT MAN OF THE MATCH? ARE YOU FUCKING HAVING| A LAUGHT?!??!!?!?

The performance was the best thing about this. The point's a bonus, but the way we defended - at Old Trafford, bear in mind - and how some of our attacking players weren't afraid is a real positive. Saw a stat with a minute to go that said that they had 8 shots on goal in the second half to our 7. Not bad.

Coloccini also had a nice debut. Looked a bit shakey in the first 10 minutes but then calmed down and really took control and kept Rooney quiet for long periods throughout the game.

Good stuff :thup:

Very happy with the result, was shitting myself at the end, I just had it in my head that they'd get a lucky goal as they usually do.

Guttierez is quality judging by what I've seen, very hard working and helped Nzogbia not get too exposed. Very impressed with Guthrie, just sits and passes the ball simple. If we can get a midfielder along side him that can push on it could work well.

Nzogbia was quite poor second half, and Duff was quieter than the first.

Overall, very happy, good confidence boost, hopefully more will come in and we will keep improving.

Well done to the lads. Fantastic result :D. How good is Jonas?

FUCKING GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good enough for me to make up my mind putting him name on my new club jersey (though i never like 18 as a number).

Given - 7 - made a couple of good reaction saves

Beye - 6 - not his best game, positioning was a bit out as he had to try and mark two players at once (see milner)

Taylor - 8 - solid, looked pretty confident, no messing about

Coloccini - 7.5 - couldve given away 2 goals in the first 20 but after he got to grips with the game he was imperious

N'Zogbia - 5 - liability at LB, Enrique must've shagged Keegan's gran, one or two good runs through the middle

Milner - 6 - didnt give enough protection to Beye, but also didn't offer much going forward. doesn't have a good handle on the basics of the game (see guthrie)

Butt - 5 - terrible, urgently need to replace him

Guthrie - 8 - excellent, very quick feet, good short passing, comfortable at set pieces. has a low centre of gravity and good balance which enables his to shift and turn his way out of trouble with ease. promising.

Jonas - 8 - beat his man time and time again and did more work at full-back than n'zogbia, one or two good crosses. a bit indecisive when he forced chances though.

Duff - 6 - linked up pretty well and was full of neat touches but when on his own did fuck all and not a threat in himself

Martins - 8 - neat and tidy, some good linking with duff and jonas, excellent header, should've scored another but expected oshea to clear it easily