So, who's signing in the final week?

Coxaux
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm absolutely flabbergasted by some of the recent comments in this thread, sounds like most of the intelligent folk have gone to bed in England there and left the lunatics to run the asylum.

In much the same way as NE5 showed illogical backing for the old board despite the wave of evidence against it, we've somehow got a new breed of poster here who will not have a bad word said about the new man in charge.

One such poster has complained in another post of people on here been so black or white in their views, pot and kettles, glass houses and throwing stones, spring to mind.

HTT telling supporters, who the bulk of which, have never seen a major trophy lifted in their lifetime as toon fans, to be patient, is pure comedy.

Whichever way you try to spin it, the cool hard facts are that we've got a squad of players that lacks numbers greatly (even KK admits it), with a huge drop off in quality outside the first 11.

Get your freakin heads out of the sand, we've made a good start but we can not sustain that with this squad, unless we get a huge slice of luck with injuries suspensions and form.

No one and I mean no one has criticised the quality of the recruits we have thus far brought in but if we don't bring in 2 or 3 quality players before Monday this will have been a failure of a transfer window, as was the last one and on hindsight the one before.

I hope to god Dave post another "I told you so" post on Monday evening laughing at all us miserable bastards and I'll be the first to laugh along and hold my hands up to say I was wrong to worry but the signs are not good.   

tbf i think 15 out of 20 premiership clubs would call this transfer window a failure for themselves, so it's not like we are the exception, clubs don't want to sell

TBH i don't give a f***ing s*** what the how the other clubs think they have done, I care about what goes at Newcastle. And when we are fielding Alan Smith up front on his own and some reserve kid in the the middle of the park away to Wigan, what portsmouth did in this transfer window will have no relevance.

took the words right out of my mouth

so ur saying martins, viduka, owen, carroll are all gonna be sold or injured before that situation then

injuries happen at all clubs, look at man utd they are still desperate for a striker and they are the best team on the planet

and what do you want, another carl cort, luque, viana, boumsong then

if u do then f***ing support chelsea or someone that can applease you and your desired trophy signings that you crave for

sorry mate, nothing personal.

Your comment about ManU shows the desire to remain the best, so why not take your lead from them in terms of the need to keep changing, you can't stand still in this game.

Simple truth is, the only striker we have, who is likely to stay fit and perform for about 25 games, is Martins.

Owen hopefully will, but his history says he won't. Viduka won't. Carroll is a kid. Ameobi is crap. Smith has not been a success.

What is that left ?

As for the "trophy signings", I will tell you that its trophies that I want, and for Newcastle to sign the sort of players who win these trophies. If you want to ridiculously label them as "trophy players" then you have a lot to learn, but I suspect that you are just regurgitating the bollocks cliches that are spouted around by other people who's views change like the wind.

Having supported this club since 1964, and seen a damn sight worse than this, I'm not going to change now. I suspect people like you would be sorely tested if you had even a slight taste of real mediocrity, if you really think you have seen it at this club in the last decade and a half.

Having seen such s**** (which it undoubtedly was) I'm surprised you have now turned into a prawn sandwich eating Man U - type supporter demanding we compete with said club without any of their resources or wealth.

I always knew that NUFC were one of the biggest clubs in the country. I recognised from an early age that McKeag, Westwood etc were the biggest bunch of arseholes going. Lord Westwood actually said once that if Brian Clough became manager of Newcastle he would resign from the board. And the other tit said - as proudly as he could - that the new Milburn stand was "like Watfords", having been financed largely with the money from selling Peter Beardsley.

The difference back then was that it was 100 times more frustrating. And seriously, football was also a different beast to nowadays. I'm sure you've been told that standing in those stadiums etc was a completely different experience to now. One thing about being an NUFC fan was that you knew you were being let down but just grew to accept complete failure throught gritted teeth.

One or two people on here won't acknowledge this. Whatever.

That's all well and good but doesn't answer the question: how are we meant to compete with the likes of Man U and Chelsea for big name signings without their revenue streams, international status etc? Without regular CL revenue how do we pay for these trophy signings?

There is only two ways... put the club back in to £80m of debt or hope that Ashley will spend more of his own cash.  Given how much Ashley has spent so far, especially with clearing the debt, I can't see this happening.

West Ham seem to be suffering from the silly buys and silly wages syndrome. The fact that Lucas Neil and Craig Bellamy are picking up £70k a week while Curbishley is fighting for his job speaks volumes.

We don't need to spend 80 million though, a modest expenditure of 20 mill or so would probably be enough to fill in the bare minimum 2 holes in the squad. Any money made from the Milner sale should also be reinvested in a adequate replacement. That would put our net spend for the summer at around 25 million, which for a club of our size is not too extravagant

Totally agree with this, but don't you think the club are trying and that they still may achieve this before the transfer window?

I'm absolutely flabbergasted by some of the recent comments in this thread, sounds like most of the intelligent folk have gone to bed in England there and left the lunatics to run the asylum.

In much the same way as NE5 showed illogical backing for the old board despite the wave of evidence against it, we've somehow got a new breed of poster here who will not have a bad word said about the new man in charge.

One such poster has complained in another post of people on here been so black or white in their views, pot and kettles, glass houses and throwing stones, spring to mind.

HTT telling supporters, who the bulk of which, have never seen a major trophy lifted in their lifetime as toon fans, to be patient, is pure comedy.

Whichever way you try to spin it, the cool hard facts are that we've got a squad of players that lacks numbers greatly (even KK admits it), with a huge drop off in quality outside the first 11.

Get your freakin heads out of the sand, we've made a good start but we can not sustain that with this squad, unless we get a huge slice of luck with injuries suspensions and form.

No one and I mean no one has criticised the quality of the recruits we have thus far brought in but if we don't bring in 2 or 3 quality players before Monday this will have been a failure of a transfer window, as was the last one and on hindsight the one before.

I hope to god Dave post another "I told you so" post on Monday evening laughing at all us miserable bastards and I'll be the first to laugh along and hold my hands up to say I was wrong to worry but the signs are not good.   

tbf i think 15 out of 20 premiership clubs would call this transfer window a failure for themselves, so it's not like we are the exception, clubs don't want to sell

TBH i don't give a f***ing s*** what the how the other clubs think they have done, I care about what goes at Newcastle. And when we are fielding Alan Smith up front on his own and some reserve kid in the the middle of the park away to Wigan, what portsmouth did in this transfer window will have no relevance.

so ur saying martins, viduka, owen, carroll are all gonna be sold or injured before that situation then

injuries happen at all clubs, look at man utd they are still desperate for a striker and they are the best team on the planet

if u do then f***ing support chelsea or someone that can applease you and your desired trophy signings that you crave for

Your comment about ManU shows the desire to remain the best, so why not take your lead from them in terms of the need to keep changing, you can't stand still in this game.

Simple truth is, the only striker we have, who is likely to stay fit and perform for about 25 games, is Martins.

Owen hopefully will, but his history says he won't. Viduka won't. Carroll is a kid. Ameobi is crap. Smith has not been a success.

What is that left ?

As for the "trophy signings", I will tell you that its trophies that I want, and for Newcastle to sign the sort of players who win these trophies. If you want to ridiculously label them as "trophy players" then you have a lot to learn, but I suspect that you are just regurgitating the bollocks cliches that are spouted around by other people who's views change like the wind.

Having supported this club since 1964, and seen a damn sight worse than this, I'm not going to change now. I suspect people like you would be sorely tested if you had even a slight taste of real mediocrity, if you really think you have seen it at this club in the last decade and a half.

Having seen such s**** (which it undoubtedly was) I'm surprised you have now turned into a prawn sandwich eating Man U - type supporter demanding we compete with said club without any of their resources or wealth.

I always knew that NUFC were one of the biggest clubs in the country. I recognised from an early age that McKeag, Westwood etc were the biggest bunch of arseholes going. Lord Westwood actually said once that if Brian Clough became manager of Newcastle he would resign from the board. And the other tit said - as proudly as he could - that the new Milburn stand was "like Watfords", having been financed largely with the money from selling Peter Beardsley.

The difference back then was that it was 100 times more frustrating. And seriously, football was also a different beast to nowadays. I'm sure you've been told that standing in those stadiums etc was a completely different experience to now. One thing about being an NUFC fan was that you knew you were being let down but just grew to accept complete failure throught gritted teeth.

That's all well and good but doesn't answer the question: how are we meant to compete with the likes of Man U and Chelsea for big name signings without their revenue streams, international status etc? Without regular CL revenue how do we pay for these trophy signings?

There is only two ways... put the club back in to £80m of debt or hope that Ashley will spend more of his own cash.  Given how much Ashley has spent so far, especially with clearing the debt, I can't see this happening.

West Ham seem to be suffering from the silly buys and silly wages syndrome. The fact that Lucas Neil and Craig Bellamy are picking up £70k a week while Curbishley is fighting for his job speaks volumes.

We don't need to spend 80 million though, a modest expenditure of 20 mill or so would probably be enough to fill in the bare minimum 2 holes in the squad. Any money made from the Milner sale should also be reinvested in a adequate replacement. That would put our net spend for the summer at around 25 million, which for a club of our size is not too extravagant

Totally agree with this, but don't you think the club are trying and that they still may achieve this before the transfer window?

I'm positive they are trying. It's the budgets they are working within that I have my doubts.

We wont sign anyone that will appease the spoilt brats that claim to support the club but it doesnt matter.

FYP

The sad bit about this is that the spoilt brats include fans who claim to have followed the club since the dark days of Westwood & co but seem to be addicted to prawn sarnies and lobster these days.

We wont sign anyone that will appease the spoilt brats that claim to support the club but it doesnt matter.

FYP

Come on James that's just pathetic, everyone (except our guest from other clubs) here supports the club. Don't confuse lack of unquestionable support for Mike Ashley to lack of support for the club. The two entities are not the same.

What is that left ?

I'm positive they are trying. It's the budgets they are working within that I have my doubts.

you know the budget? please tell us what it is and how you know.

What is that left ?

Nope that's why I said I had "doubts" and not "because I'm certain they have no money ZOMG !!!"

Who has shown unquestionable support for Mike Ashley? If they have, they're wrong.

Absolutely I agree with you Dave.

Who has done that though?

I'll turn that around and ask you, did you not find James's post pathetic, condescending, patronising and with just the hint of soopafan about it ? Because I did.

And by the way of course I'm exaggerating about the people's unquestionable support, just trying to point out that you don't have to be a supporter of Ashley to be a fan of NUFC and because you don't buy into to everything is not reason to be called a spoilt brat and have your loyality to the club questioned.

Who has shown unquestionable support for Mike Ashley? If they have, they're wrong.

I'll turn that around and ask you, did you not find James's post pathetic, condescending, patronising and with just the hint of soopafan about it ? Because I did.

And by the way of course I'm exaggerating about the people's unquestionable support, just trying to point out that you don't have to be a supporter of Ashley to be a fan of NUFC and because you don't buy into to everything is not reason to be called a spoilt brat and have your loyality to the club questioned.

I find most of James's posts pathetic, so I just glossed over it.

LOL, very good :)

:razz:

At afar, I have seen people criticise all four signings we have made, my comments were aimed at that group.

We bid a record fee for Modric and had a bid in for Coloccini at roughly the same time, budget doesn't come into it.  If a player who we want is available and willing to come then we'll do what we can to get them.

What is that left ?

Nope that's why I said I had "doubts" and not "because I'm certain they have no money ZOMG !!!"

Ok, fair enough... I just hope your doubts are proven wrong as we do need more players in and time is running out.  I guess I have a little more confidence in the current setup delivering some players before the transfer window shuts than you have.

We bid a record fee for Modric and had a bid in for Coloccini at roughly the same time, budget doesn't come into it.  If a player who we want is available and willing to come then we'll do what we can to get them.

It seems to me this is the case. What a lot of people seem to be forgetting, (conveniently?), is Keegans own adamant stance that only the right players are coming in. They're obviously thin on the ground at any time.

Hmm, on reflection I wonder if Keegan was asked if he felt the club was doing everything in their power to get the player he considers is right - what his answer would be. Maybe therein lies the problem. Where Keegan would bend over backwards to meet the price and terms of his considered 'right' players, others are not meeting this evaluation.

FYP

The sad bit about this is that the spoilt brats include fans who claim to have followed the club since the dark days of Westwood & co but seem to be addicted to prawn sarnies and lobster these days.

spoken like 2 true idiots

FYP

spoken like 2 true idiots

Shepherd and Hall?

We wont sign any big players ashleys is to tight to spend.

bring back Freddy Shepherd!

You're not being serious, are you?

I thought you were just being a WUM all this time, but now I'm not so sure.

Palvlucenko- Spurs

Berbatov- Man Utd

Saha- Everton

Bit of a merrigo round going on, as well as Milner to Villa and Riera to Liverpool. There may be enough going on there to speed up our progress.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think we'll try again for Warnock, break our transfer record on a striker or playmaker and sign a few unknowns, 4 players in max I reckon.