Newcastle 1 - 0 Bolton Wanderers - 23/08/08 - Post match reaction from page 15

James

Owen saying (interviewed by Mick Lowes) that he was quite ill earlier in the summer and was actually in hospital - I assume it was the mumps that was suggested in the media. Also says he expected to get 15/20mins today, but he's delighted to come on and get the winner. Gives credit to Given for his penalty save.

Good start to the season 4 points, 2 goals scored,only one conceded.I would have taken that before the season started.How did Colo play today?Was he as good as he was against Man u?At least KK and Ashley know now for sure we desperately need a bit of creativity in midfield.

Get in!!

Felt a little bit let down by the atmosphere today, 1st home game new season and after a great result last weekend.

It got better after Givens heroics mind but all ina ll am happy.

Duff and Oba had a poor start gave the ball away a lot but mega impressed with Colo and Jonas those two will be legends here.

Bolton's falling over was pissing me off, its hard to play against a team that try to kill play every chance they get.

Good start to the season 4 points, 2 goals scored,only one conceded.I would have taken that before the season started.How did Colo play today?Was he as good as he was against Man u?At least KK and Ashley know now for sure we desperately need a bit of creativity in midfield.

better than Man u, he had a tough time in the air but looked colossal on the ground

Butt 8 - My MoM. Good in our half, won many balls

You have got to be kidding?

I would find it hard to agree with that as well. He's an automatic pick for all our Managers sho he must be more effective than he looks. Hit some good long balls today but as usual seemed to give it away regularly.

No just my opinion. Thought he did exactly what was required of him, breaking up play and making good interventions in the defense. Cleaned up a lof of Guthrie's mess.

Guest musika

Get in!!

Felt a little bit let down by the atmosphere today, 1st home game new season and after a great result last weekend.

What's happening with the "Bring back the noise" campaign?

Are the toon ultras still around?

That's an important 3 points today. It gets us off and running and both Martins and Owen are off the mark too.

Doesn't really matter how we get the points at this stage but it's nice not to be in the bottom 6 and under a bit of pressure right from the off. Anything we take from the Arse will be a bonus. :)

The win is the most important thing and not many can be suprised we could really create with Bolton having every man behind the ball they actually replaced there injured forward with a defensive midfielder.

Great result now get the signings in and bring on Arsenal

Are you saying he did it on purpose?

On the balance, I think Taylor had a better game than Coloccini which is why I gave him a better rating.  The idiots that start frothing at the mouth when he kisses the badge or throws his shirt into the stands will have difficulty accepting that. 

I'd say Taylor handled on purpose and a few minutes later he gave the ball straight to a Bolton player right in front of our goal, Taylor was poor today when under pressure and to handle the ball when he did shows that he's not that bright because he had no reason to do it.  Taylor looked OK with the ball when not under pressure but Coloccini was miles better.  He didn't flap he just did everything that was asked of him and I can't remember him giving anything away.  He was class in the second half when he had to defend on our left and kept the ball almost on our line, he turned the Bolton player and brought the ball out, he really did look class today, unlike our number 27.

I find it hard to believe that anybody who watched the game today could put Taylor ahead of Coloccini.

No just my opinion. Thought he did exactly what was required of him, breaking up play and making good interventions in the defense. Cleaned up a lof of Guthrie's mess.

Was treading water whenever we didn't have the ball.

He can't keep up with play any more & leaves the back four far too exposed.

He's also the worst culprit for giving it away far too cheaply when under no pressure in the whole team.

Was treading water whenever we didn't have the ball.

He can't keep up with play any more & leaves the back four far too exposed.

He's also the worst culprit for giving it away far too cheaply when under no pressure in the whole team.

Agree with that most of the time, don't remember him conceding many free-kicks today though.

But like I say, it's only my opinion. I see that BBC's and Sky's player ratings don't agree with me (nor you lot), so I'm probably rating him too highly, but this is how I experienced the game today.

Good win, not massively convincing though.

Pluses being Given (expected), Jonas (superb), Zog (much better LB performance), Collo (looked composed) and of course Owen - classy player.

Minuses or nitpicks

Guthrie - is he fit, seems to fade badly in the second half of games, got caught in possession a lot and sits too deep where Butt is. 

Taylor - once again a good performance hurt by some lapses in concentration/caught in posession/tendendcy to think he is a goalie.

Milner - massive workrate but final product was frustratingly absent again.

Overall - desperate for midfielder and another striker but a good win against a physical team.

Are you saying he did it on purpose?

On the balance, I think Taylor had a better game than Coloccini which is why I gave him a better rating.  The idiots that start frothing at the mouth when he kisses the badge or throws his shirt into the stands will have difficulty accepting that. 

I'd say Taylor handled on purpose and a few minutes later he gave the ball straight to a Bolton player right in front of our goal, Taylor was poor today when under pressure and to handle the ball when he did shows that he's not that bright because he had no reason to do it.  Taylor looked OK with the ball when not under pressure but Coloccini was miles better.  He didn't flap he just did everything that was asked of him and I can't remember him giving anything away.  He was class in the second half when he had to defend on our left and kept the ball almost on our line, he turned the Bolton player and brought the ball out, he really did look class today, unlike our number 27.

I find it hard to believe that anybody who watched the game today could put Taylor ahead of Coloccini.

Thought the two of them were fairly equal tbh, Taylor seriously let himself down (again) with the two mistakes you mention though.

At the same time though, I thought Coloccini was weak in the air today, although he was playing against a team of experts at the aerial game.  He seems to miss/flick on the ball a bit too much rather than clear it, particularly in the first half.

Early days for the partnership though & it does look promising.  They seem to at least have some sort of understanding.

I think a lot of folk are feeling the pinch at the moment.. £30 a ticket is expensive when you don't have a lot of available cash.

I doubt many £30 tickets were unsold, from what I could see the empty spaces were all in the Milburn platinum seats.

Great to have Owen back, but still feel we need a playmaker, maybe Barton can have a great comeback and surprise everyone that little scumbag.

Now lets look forward to do everything to nick a point at the Emirates next week.

Get in!!

What's happening with the "Bring back the noise" campaign?

Are the toon ultras still around?

Aye the Ultra's are now up where the away fans used to be..

But just poor noise levels, that opera bloke tried his best to get us going before the game but to be honest I felt embarrassed for him, stopping to let the crowd take over works for Robbie Williams but it did not work for him..

:lol:

just got back

Given 8 - solid throughout, great save for the pen

Beye 7 - good defensively, great recovery pace

Taylor 5 - liability, constantly trying to look big and clever

Coloccini 8 - classy as you like

Zog 6 - s*** in defense, decent in attack

Butt 6 - we need a lot better than him

Guthrie 5 - difficult game for him, inexperienced

Milner 4 - dosghite, horrific lack of quality

Jonas 8 - beats his man every time

Martins 5 - not his game, tried but nowt came off

Duff 4 - awful, looked very subdued

Owen 7 - good finish, great runs

Geremi 7 - this is why he should start ahead of s**** like Milner and Butt

I think you're being far too tough on Milner, he was better than Duff and Guthrie.