Newcastle 1 - 0 Bolton Wanderers - 23/08/08 - Post match reaction from page 15

James

It may not be the popular view but I thought Geremi changed the game when he came on.

He put more decent balls in and made more intelligent passes than N'Zogbia/Jonas/Milner put together in all honesty. His legs may have gone but his intelligence and technique make him a very useful player IMHO.

I've been saying that since last season. He's too slow, but he's a clever passer and he can hurt the opposition unlike some of our supposedly attacking midfielders.

It may not be the popular view but I thought Geremi changed the game when he came on.

He put more decent balls in and made more intelligent passes than N'Zogbia/Jonas/Milner put together in all honesty. His legs may have gone but his intelligence and technique make him a very useful player IMHO.

Agreed, he might be able to do a job coming on later in the game when pace isn't a crucial as the opposition become knackered.

Guest Heneage

Another good performance for Jonas its been while since i've seen a Newcastle player run at people and try things. And he has a good spread of passing. Though Butt is looking very one dimensional and that Enrique should be left back Charlie gets mauled in the air.

Given- 7 Kicking was poor but there when needed

Beye-7 Did well, better in the second half

Coloccini- 9 Dominated

Taylor- 7 Did well

Zoggy-7 Great attacking, suspect at the back

Milner- 7 Was fantastic through the middle, not great on the right

Butt- 7 Good long range passes

Guthrie- 6 Out battled IMO

Jonas- 8 Looked good

Duff- 5 Shite

Martins- 6 No service

Geremi- 8 Changed the game

Owen- 8 Got his goal

Thoughts;

Football 1-0 Anti football

One of the best parts of today for me was walking out of the ground and hearing some Bolton fans talking about how shite Bolton was compared to up here. Saying how it is full of munters and just horrid compared to the women up here. :lol:

Bolton were disgraceful yet again. Everytime they come up here i can't help feeling that we will perform better against the teams that actually try and play football.

Diving, fouling, long ball scum. Well done lads, hard work and good ethics paid off in the end.

Guthrie wasn't as good today but he wasn't that bad. The fact is we need to replace Butt as the two together doesn't work. Too similar.

Absolutely spot on O0

Spot on about him being spot on.  :lol:

Guthrie wasn't as good today but he wasn't that bad. The fact is we need to replace Butt as the two together doesn't work. Too similar.

Absolutely spot on O0

I concur that he was spot on about being spot on.

Guthrie looked a bit overawed. He'll get better.

Taylor wants to look at Colo and take his example. Calm it the fuck down. Simple clearances with all the time in the world and he lashes it like it's the last ball he's ever going to kick. Apart from making mistakes, it's going to do him an injury eventually.

We were a bit lopsided, with Spidey and his amazing friend Zog overlapping and helping each other out. Meanwhile Milner was left with no support which exposed his sloth-like running. I don't think he's slow, he's just very slow with the ball at his feet. Also, never let this man take a corner again. He simply can't do it.

Jonas reminds me of Ginola. He's deceptively quick, he seems to have these long strides which take him across the pitch in about three steps. He looks like he's skating rather than running. He can skin someone just dropping his shoulder. I'm aware that I'm rambling now.  :lol:

Zog got into some good positions, but doesn't know whether he wants to shoot or pass it, agoes further than he should and  then does nothing.

Duff was a waste of space.

Absolutely spot on O0

I concur that he was spot on about being spot on.

Guthrie looked a bit overawed. He'll get better.

As opposed to Butt who won't.

Jonas has great work-rate!!

he played the full match in Minsk on Wednesday

I'd forgot about his midweek game, he was all over today and the lads become a crowd favourite already.

Wasn't a good game, Bolton are horrible fuckers and it disgusts me how they act. Matt Taylor, for example, knew we had the pressure on so he sat down. Fuck all the matter with him, but he sat down. When Bennett didn't let the physio on, he folded his arms. He was then forced to walk the 10 yards off the pitch, although he was then subbed so maybe there was something up with him. Whatever.

The old problems are still there, if we come up against a team who park everyone behind the ball we will struggle to break them down. Don't know whether it was just a bad day at the office or something but everyone seemed a little slow, passes that could have gone 5/10 seconds earlier were delayed and opportunities of an opening were missed. Milner was at his absolute worst today, absolutely nothing to show for his usual running, not one good cross all game.

The subs were what made the difference. Geremi, for all he has no legs, has a brilliant football brain. Also him and Beye work well, Beye played a lot better with Geremi in front of him and seemed to feel happier about bombing forward - maybe because he was confident of getting the ball off Geremi instead of Milner who struggled to do anything well. Then Martins went off - don't know if it's in our game plan for him to stand on the touchline when we have the ball outwide but maybe someone should tell him when he's the lone striker he should be in the box. Owen arrived and as is his new thing played deeper, with Milner being the "front" man. Milner looked a little bit better here, but I wouldn't want it permanently. Or ever again, really. Anyway, without sounding like I want to bum him, you don't appreciate Michael Owen till you see his movement up close. The amount of headed chances he gets for a man of his size sums it up really, having said that he's only useful if someone can deliver. Without Geremi on the pitch, he probably wouldn't have had a sniff at goal at all.

Jonas is quite frankly far too good for us. The amount of times he was surrounded by 3 players and came out with the ball was incredible, he can beat his man all day and routinely did only to be let down by a lack of options. His work rate is phenomenal aswell, he can even tackle. Just a shame some of his team mates aren't on the same level as him. N'Zogbia isn't a left back, obviously, and was below par coming forward. Some awful crosses, and 1 really good one. He did well once we were 1-0 up, maybe he felt the pressure had eased a bit and he started enjoying himself. Coloccini is solid, looks like a sound investment. Taylor...isn't. And Shay saved a pen. What is the world coming to?

Guthrie doesn't waste a pass but he's not likely to unlock any doors, he just keeps things ticking over. Butt can spread the play all day long but for some reason his short passes have gone to shit. More so than before. Might do alright together away from home but at home, too bland.

Graham Danby fucking loved it though, every verse of Blaydon Races again :)