James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dread to think what the team will be on Saturday if we don't get a replacement in by then though. Especially if Owen's not fit to start too.

Given

Beye Taylor Colo Enrique

Geremi Guthrie Butt Zoggy

Jonas

Owen

Dread to think what the team will be on Saturday if we don't get a replacement in by then though. Especially if Owen's not fit to start too.

Owen will be fit to start, why wouldn't he. Duff, Zog, and Jonas are all fit. Simply push Zog up and and start Enrique, problem solved.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I am actually quite positive that the club have come out today and made it public. It shows they do not want to be held to ransom, nor do they feel he is irreplacable.

It says to me ' come up with the dough and he can go '

Given

Beye Taylor Colo Enrique

Jonas

Owen

Aye, the bench will be poor like but thats the best starting 11.

The whole requesting it (the club) to remain private and then releasing a statement a week later thing is weird.  Almost inviting bids???

I think that's exactly what they are doing they want teams to bid for him. KK may not be happy about it but if they can get a bidding war going then obviously that'll push up the price. I think they'll pacify KK by saying if we don't get a bid in excess of XX amount then we'll not sell, but if we do we have to take the money for a player that doesn't want to be here.

Given

Beye Taylor Colo Enrique

Jonas

Owen

That looks alright, bench will be bare though.

Harper, Duff, Bassong, Ranger, Donaldson, Lua Lua, Tozer?

To be honest i'm not that surprised, I don't think he ever got over the on-off villa move the other year which wouldn't make you feel too wanted by the club with only a last minute phone call bringing him back, and once KK took over last year he hardly got a game, i know its different this year tho.  Hes a good solid player but never quite lived up to his potential with his final ball, will be sorry to see him go, but for the right money and SWP we'll improve our squad.  

Tapped up for definite but they cant ethically bid for him unless he asks to leave.

After the Barry to Liverpool debacle we would be stupid to ask for any less than 12 million for him.

He was their player of the year 2 years ago and IMO is better than Barry (18M !) anyway.

Lets call their bluff, 12million or he stays, like Barry.

:haha:

Its all about opinions. In mine, Barry has had a fortunate run in the England squad recently but is one of the most over hyped and over rated footballers around.

I find your belief in the 18m rated Barry equally hilarious.

I know Birmingham don't want to let him go, but how much would people think they'd accept for him? £6m? Would be a great piece of business if we could earn £3m plus get Larsson for Milner.

I would take that deal tbh.

Guest toonchina

I don't think Milner personally wants to leave.It might have been Wise's negative attitute towards him that forced him to submit a transfer request--on the day when Keegan,Wise and Ashley meet to talk about transfers.Anyway,for this over-rated boy,8 or 10M would be a fantastic deal.

Larsson is a quality player. I'd like us to get him, but there's no way Birmingham would sell us him. Especially not after we sold them Liam Ridgewell.

He's made it really clear he wants out, too.

FWIW if i could have any (realistic) right sided midfielder, it would be Valencia from Wigan. I'm amazed there hasn't been much going on around him this summer.

I don't think Milner personally wants to leave.It might have been Wise's negative attitute towards him that forced him to submit a transfer request--on the day when Keegan,Wise and Ashley meet to talk about transfers.Anyway,for this over-rated boy,8 or 10M would be a fantastic deal.

I'm sorry but WTF are you talking about ???

Guest rebel_yell12

Pennant is a far better crosser than Lennon, SWP and Milner. So he has the end product, does a crossing winger play to our strengths tho? maybe if we sign a target man also? if not with Viduka's injury record it could be argued if we want the best out of owen we need a midfield that will supply him and martins something to run onto? I accept they score their fair share of headers but these are small strikers that will be dominated in the air against good defenders.

Yes like Martins was against Man U.

Note the quote "I accept they score their fair share of headers" Not exactly know for his headers is he, unlike a Klose type player

Don't know about Martins, but I think Owen may well be starting to be known for his headers.  I think at least half of Owen's goals last season were from his head, and he's 1 and 1 this year (2 goals: 1 header, 1 right foot).  For players of their height, both are threats in the air.  Martins has a helluva leap.  Owen's got a good jump as well, but his positional sense and timing are key.  He's got his head to the ball for goals v. some big defenders (I'm remembering 'Boro last season, when Owen was a full head above the defenders).  

I think a crossing winger is very useful for Newcastle.  Geremi, whose primary use is crossing, has provided a good number of assists, especially  for Owen.  Beckham, whose primary use has long been crossing, always linked well with Owen.  If Newcastle keep Owen, they need a good crosser, imo.  Rather figured this is why Keegan persists with Geremi.  

As for Milner directly -- not bothered if he leaves, since he clearly wants to do, but only if the club get another player in.  Newcastle simply can't afford to let ANYONE go without a body to replace them at this point.  Even the likes of Ameobi (who can't get a game) need another body in to replace him.  It's just too small a squad now.  I understand Newcastle can't sign strikers like mad (though one quality signing upfront would be good) because then when all return to fitness there's a problem, but the club needs cover.  Whether or not Milner is necessary for the XI, Newcastle need squad players too.  

Guest sicko2ndbest

FACTS

Milner handed his transfer request in on Wednesday 20th August

The club meet to discuss his position

The club release a statement that Milner has handed in a transfer request (a full week later)

I think all parties feel it is best if he goes or why else would they release this statement. No way would they release this statement without having someone else lined up!

Maybe we are getting SWP his agent has said he doesnt want to go to either Everton or Man City and they are now discussing his next move.

However would be suprised to see us sign anyone now

Ian Wright just said on talksport that he'd never heard of the person claiming to be SWP's agent and that the story is bull!

He said theres four clubs in for SWP and that he's defos leaving chelsea, with it now just up to SWP to decide!

He later went on to say he knows where he is going, and that it is a really important move for him to get his form back.

My reading of it was that he is going to City or Everton, just the way he laughed off the link to them, please gawd let me be wrong and see him at the toon!

Guest sicko2ndbest

This could have something to do with it

Speaking on TalkSport, Ian Wright has clarified that his son Shaun has already decided which club he will move to, and that the deal is transpiring at this moment.

Media reports circulating from an EXCLUSIVE Daily Mail report had suggested Wright-Phillips was willing to fight for his place and reject the offers from Everton and Manchester City. However, Wright has banished such rumours.

He said; "Shaun has decided where he wants to go, his mind is made up. It's happening at the moment, there were four clubs involved"

Evertonians face an anxious wait over whether the England international has opted for Goodison Park, with Everton forums everywhere likely to explode with optimism if the Chelsea man signs on the dotted line.

FACTS

Milner handed his transfer request in on Wednesday 20th August

The club meet to discuss his position

The club release a statement that Milner has handed in a transfer request (a full week later)

I think all parties feel it is best if he goes or why else would they release this statement. No way would they release this statement without having someone else lined up!

Agree.

Releasing a statement without being sure that he'll be offloaded wouldn't be good for anyone. Like I said, I hope that this is sorted as quickly as possible and that we get a better replacement in.

Guest Mucky01

Larsson is a quality player. I'd like us to get him, but there's no way Birmingham would sell us him. Especially not after we sold them Liam Ridgewell.

He's made it really clear he wants out, too.

FWIW if i could have any (realistic) right sided midfielder, it would be Valencia from Wigan. I'm amazed there hasn't been much going on around him this summer.

agreed with that, seems a top player.