James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I didn't mention on the post I think its a great deal if we've got that amount for the lad, I'm still pissed off about Barton, Smith et al on high wages though. Hope we've got a replacement coming in but even if we dont we can go back to 4-3-3 with Martins, Owen, and the Duke (when they're all fit) which will reduce the need for wingers

from .com and my thoughts are the same, should never of let him go

In our eyes Milner's genuine graft and honesty have

provided an antidote to the feeling that we've signed mercenaries, thugs and conmen in recent years.

And having breathed a sigh of relief when the likes of Dyer, Jenas and Kluivert took their baggage and egos elsewhere, we feel the opposite about a man who to us is the very essence of anti-bling.

No Hello Magazine appearances, no pimp my ride or cribs -type nonsense, no car crashes, no night club antics, no grappling in the street. A game of darts appears to be his major vice....

To see a trio of gutless wonders who've done sweet FA for this club in the shape of Duff, Barton and Smith remain here on mega money while Milner goes sticks in our throat.

And we've not even started on the £100K+ horserace owner and his future.

Well said.

We have less desirable players still at the club therefore we can't/shouldn't accept a good offer for Milner? .... strange logic that.

Its a good deal like but I can still be sad about seeing a player I like go! :weep:

I'll slow down play for stepovers and bad crosses all day for 30 grand a week. I'll be so god damn nice it'll make you sick. Photograph after photograph of me kissing puppydogs and wearing v neck sweaters.

I like the guy too, but he wasn't getting any better here.

If you're feeling anything other than  :celb: :celb: :celb: right now then I don't think supporting a club like NUFC will be good for your long term emotional health.

WE JUST SOLD JAMES MILNER FOR 10m+. Stop worrying and get yourself a celebratory pint for fucks sake.

Might have been said but KK and Ashley have pulled a master stroke here...

KK says last week he is the last player we will sell, keeping his value high.

If 12M is true we have absolutely robbed them and should be happy.  Especially if the KK quotes are true and the players in the pipleline are an improvement..

Should be an interesting few days now. 

If you're feeling anything other than :celb: :celb: :celb: right now then I don't think supporting a club like NUFC will be good for your long term emotional health.

WE SOLD MILNER FOR 10m+. Stop worrying and get yourself a celebratory pint for fucks sake.

I've got my Skol out for the occasion. Attempting to get very drunk before going for a bbq with my gf's family there's a smoggie in their ranks so I'll convince them we're going for Downing 10mill a steal! :frantic:

Guest shearer_united

Yes !! :D Finally he left !! I hated that guy. I even talked to him once and all he did was gave me a straight face and talked back to me with too much confidence, thinking he was someone big.

If James Milner was a car, he would be a hard working, non whinging but plain unexciting TOYOTA Corolla. But if I can afford an Aston Martin even with a bit more maintenance, I know which one will set my pulse racing...

Guest alijmitchell

provided an antidote to the feeling that we've signed mercenaries, thugs and conmen in recent years.

And having breathed a sigh of relief when the likes of Dyer, Jenas and Kluivert took their baggage and egos elsewhere, we feel the opposite about a man who to us is the very essence of anti-bling.

No Hello Magazine appearances, no pimp my ride or cribs -type nonsense, no car crashes, no night club antics, no grappling in the street. A game of darts appears to be his major vice....

To see a trio of gutless wonders who've done sweet FA for this club in the shape of Duff, Barton and Smith remain here on mega money while Milner goes sticks in our throat.

Well said.

We have less desirable players still at the club therefore we can't/shouldn't accept a good offer for Milner? .... strange logic that.

Its a good deal like but I can still be sad about seeing a player I like go! :weep:

I'll slow down play for stepovers and bad crosses all day for 30 grand a week. I'll be so god damn nice it'll make you sick. Photograph after photograph of me kissing puppydogs and wearing v neck sweaters.

.com aren't really seeing the bigger picture here are they? If, as Keegan has said, that the decision to sell was down to him, then what the fuck does it matter that Milner was a model professional or a nice lad? Throughout his time at the toon, Keegan has shown he has no room for sentiment in matters of the team, so lets just trust that this was a good idea eh? Not like he hasn't had the balls to pull of a decision like this before really is it? See selling Andy Cole and getting in Sir Les, clearly to Keegan it is the team that matters and not the sentiments of certain fans, and its hardly like selling Milner could be anywhere near as hard a decision as getting rid of cole, especially when comparing their respective contributions. And no amount of posturing about the wages of shite like Smith and Duff change the fact that this is a fantastic piece of business for us.

Guest toonlass

Well said.

.com aren't really seeing the bigger picture here are they? If, as Keegan has said, that the decision to sell was down to him, then what the fuck does it matter that Milner was a model professional or a nice lad? Throughout his time at the toon, Keegan has shown he has no room for sentiment in matters of the team, so lets just trust that this was a good idea eh? Not like he hasn't had the balls to pull of a decision like this before really is it? See selling Andy Cole and getting in Sir Les, clearly to Keegan it is the team that matters and not the sentiments of certain fans, and its hardly like selling Milner could be anywhere near as hard a decision as getting rid of cole, especially when comparing their respective contributions. And no amount of posturing about the wages of shite like Smith and Duff change the fact that this is a fantastic piece of business for us.

But the thing you forget is that .com knows better than any of the managers (past or present), the board or any of the fans!

Guest alijmitchell

Well said.

.com aren't really seeing the bigger picture here are they? If, as Keegan has said, that the decision to sell was down to him, then what the f*** does it matter that Milner was a model professional or a nice lad? Throughout his time at the toon, Keegan has shown he has no room for sentiment in matters of the team, so lets just trust that this was a good idea eh? Not like he hasn't had the balls to pull of a decision like this before really is it? See selling Andy Cole and getting in Sir Les, clearly to Keegan it is the team that matters and not the sentiments of certain fans, and its hardly like selling Milner could be anywhere near as hard a decision as getting rid of cole, especially when comparing their respective contributions. And no amount of posturing about the wages of s**** like Smith and Duff change the fact that this is a fantastic piece of business for us.

But the thing you forget is that .com knows better than any of the managers (past or present), the board or any of the fans!

Aye apparently so, its a shame that they haven't got the cojones to say anything good about the deal, especially when keegan sees to be ok with it.

Guest Anth.Nufc

Just seen the interview with JM and KK. Would have liked him to stay but always thought any player who wants to leave then fair enough, think going to villa is a step down. just hope we sign a good replacement but i cant think who we could get? :undecided:

Guest elbee909

All I am going to say is fuck off you ugly, slow and average cunt.

Like a less hyperactive Lee Evans.  Just not as good at football.

All I am going to say is f*** off you ugly, slow and average c***.

:lol:

To be fair villa need him. He will probably do well, we have 10m, and we can get 2 in with that.

Guest elbee909

All I am going to say is f*** off you ugly, slow and average c***.

:lol:

To be fair villa need him. He will probably do well, we have 10m, and we can get 2 in with that.

And there's always the stand-up to fall back on.

So basically from Milner's comments on SSN, when we rejected the bids (£8m?) earlier this summer he turned to the club and asked for more money considering how much they valued him at. We said fuck off, you're only a year into your deal, and he asked to leave. Seems pretty reasonable from both sides iyam.

James Milner: I thought it was a joke when Newcastle halted Villa move

Aug 29 2008

James Milner completed a club-record £12million move to Aston Villa and revealed he was driven to leave Newcastle because he felt undervalued.

And Milner, who came close to signing for Villa two years ago has revealed he thought Villa boss Martin O'Neill was joking back in 2006 when he said the deal was off, after Newcastle pulled the plug at the last minute.

Recently Milner became frustrated at Newcastle's failure to offer him a new contract which he felt would reflect his worth, and handed in a transfer request last week.

Villa moved swiftly to agree a fee for the England Under-21 winger who has signed a four-year contract which ties him to his new club until the end of the 2011-2012 campaign.

Milner spent the 2005-2006 season on loan to Villa from Newcastle and was about to sign for them in August 2006 before Newcastle halted the transfer.

Milner said: "I nearly signed two years ago. That was a tough time for me and Villa as well. It obviously threw their plans into turmoil.

"You learn from that and you move on and, two years later, I am sure I am a stronger character and a better player for those experiences.

"The fee had been agreed. I came down here to the training ground and got into the manager's office and he said he had a phone call to say Newcastle had changed their mind.

"At first I didn't know if it was the manager's humour and whether he was joking with me but it wasn't a joke."

Milner added: "I enjoyed every minute at Newcastle. It was a fantastic club. I enjoyed working with the manager and they are a great bunch of lads.  But I knew offers had come in over the summer and the club had turned them down and the valuation of me wasn't reflected in the deal I was on.

"Speaking to them, I felt it was the right thing to put in a transfer request to show how I felt, seeing as they didn't think they were on the same wavelength as me and they then made the decision to sell me.

"It was Newcastle's decision and now I am at Aston Villa. A new contract was never discussed. That was a source of frustration."

O'Neill has now spent £48million in the transfer market this summer after finally signing Milner.

Milner paid tribute to Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan who wanted to keep hold of the services of the former Leeds player.  He said: "He has been fantastic with me all the way through. I had a great relationship with him, learnt a lot and wish him every luck.

"We talked a few times and last night, once the fee had been agreed, he wished me every luck in the world and that is it basically.

"Things change quickly in football. All I know is the offer has been accepted and I'm a Villa player now and the Newcastle chapter is ended."

O'Neill is delighted to have finally managed to sign Milner after the disappointment of two years ago. He said: "James has got a great spirit about him and I definitely think his best years are in front of him.

"It was disappointing two years ago not to sign him when we thought the deal with done and dusted but it is nice to have got it all sorted this time."

O'Neill is still hoping to bring in more new blood before the transfer window closes on Monday. He said: "We are going to try and do something else if we can. The club owner Randy Lerner has been fantastic with his support.

"I've not spent a great deal of money over the last couple of years but we've decided to give things a real go this summer and I am pleased with the players we have got in - plus managing to keep Gareth Barry."

Does he think he's Kaka or something?

Guest LucaAltieri

Aug 29 2008

James Milner completed a club-record £12million move to Aston Villa and revealed he was driven to leave Newcastle because he felt undervalued.

And Milner, who came close to signing for Villa two years ago has revealed he thought Villa boss Martin O'Neill was joking back in 2006 when he said the deal was off, after Newcastle pulled the plug at the last minute.

Recently Milner became frustrated at Newcastle's failure to offer him a new contract which he felt would reflect his worth, and handed in a transfer request last week.

Villa moved swiftly to agree a fee for the England Under-21 winger who has signed a four-year contract which ties him to his new club until the end of the 2011-2012 campaign.

Milner spent the 2005-2006 season on loan to Villa from Newcastle and was about to sign for them in August 2006 before Newcastle halted the transfer.

Milner said: "I nearly signed two years ago. That was a tough time for me and Villa as well. It obviously threw their plans into turmoil.

"You learn from that and you move on and, two years later, I am sure I am a stronger character and a better player for those experiences.

"The fee had been agreed. I came down here to the training ground and got into the manager's office and he said he had a phone call to say Newcastle had changed their mind.

"At first I didn't know if it was the manager's humour and whether he was joking with me but it wasn't a joke."

Milner added: "I enjoyed every minute at Newcastle. It was a fantastic club. I enjoyed working with the manager and they are a great bunch of lads.  But I knew offers had come in over the summer and the club had turned them down and the valuation of me wasn't reflected in the deal I was on.

"Speaking to them, I felt it was the right thing to put in a transfer request to show how I felt, seeing as they didn't think they were on the same wavelength as me and they then made the decision to sell me.

"It was Newcastle's decision and now I am at Aston Villa. A new contract was never discussed. That was a source of frustration."

O'Neill has now spent £48million in the transfer market this summer after finally signing Milner.

Milner paid tribute to Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan who wanted to keep hold of the services of the former Leeds player.  He said: "He has been fantastic with me all the way through. I had a great relationship with him, learnt a lot and wish him every luck.

"We talked a few times and last night, once the fee had been agreed, he wished me every luck in the world and that is it basically.

"Things change quickly in football. All I know is the offer has been accepted and I'm a Villa player now and the Newcastle chapter is ended."

O'Neill is delighted to have finally managed to sign Milner after the disappointment of two years ago. He said: "James has got a great spirit about him and I definitely think his best years are in front of him.

"It was disappointing two years ago not to sign him when we thought the deal with done and dusted but it is nice to have got it all sorted this time."

O'Neill is still hoping to bring in more new blood before the transfer window closes on Monday. He said: "We are going to try and do something else if we can. The club owner Randy Lerner has been fantastic with his support.

"I've not spent a great deal of money over the last couple of years but we've decided to give things a real go this summer and I am pleased with the players we have got in - plus managing to keep Gareth Barry."

eh?

Aug 29 2008

eh?

The fact that Villa not signing him sent them into turmoil

Guest LucaAltieri

Aug 29 2008

eh?

The fact that Villa not signing him sent them into turmoil

In fairness, I don't suppose it helped.