James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I know alot of people are pleased to see milner gone, and that we've got 12million, but i think alot are missing the point

in order to be a succesful team in the premier league, you need depth, you need milners in your squad, people who work hard

look at aston villa,they hardly NEED him ,they are just adding to the depth of the team, adding to other young players such as ashley young

ok he might not of been a fantastic player jimmy, but if we are going to challenge the top 8 at least, you need people like him in your squad, 12million or not, as keegan said the funding was already there even if he didnt leave, i belive this to be a poor decision as it leaves us further bare bones and putting more pressure to sign a replacement

so yeah, we got more than hes probebly valued, but at this level if you want to hit the top 8, top 6 etc, i think you really need to keep hold of players like milner

The only depth ashley is interested in is the depth of the notes in his wallet.

We are now officially a selling club,With no ambition,

Back to the dark days of lord westwood,

Keegan would have walked away from newcastle if he didint need the money.

Oh be quiet man.

You know that skill of saying what we're all thinking? Wullie's got it.

Aye, £12million for a totally average player who has never done much outstanding to go reinvest in more/better players... man, we lack ambition.

Reading on the heroes&villains forum, I got a little confused and thought maybe they had signed another player called Milner.

Good to see another player coming in who is strong on both left and right foot. Both Milner and Ashley Young cross and shoot with either foot.[/qoute]

Milner over Bentley.

I think it just Newcastle fans are just starting to realise they`re not `a big club` anymore.

Man with beer in his belly is thinking this could prove to be the club's best signing since St. Dennis of Mortimer.

Top four this year or next.

Quality signing. Only 22, excellent player as it is, but can improve. You can play him anywhere across the midfield, importantly he's firstly a wideman too, left or right, but especially right. That now completes a very good, balanced first 11 now.

I'm delighted. He'll fit in brilliantly, and he'll develop into an England player, that I'm sure of. I was a big Milner fan when he was here, and immensely disappointed when we didn't get him 2 years back.

That's just taken from the two last pages of a thread. Haven't seen -one- negative post about him...gosh.

I'm conflicted, I think he's a decent player, and can eventually be a good player, but I'll be damned if he isn't the most frustrating player not named Smith.

Looking forward to who KK brings in.

Niall and Biffa are both sound, from the times I've spoken to them. I'm sure Rich would back that up... I don't think they believe their opinions are more worthy than others, and when they "snipe" at forums they're referring to 606 and the like more often than not, as opposed to ours...

However, their opinions are so far-reaching (and thus potentially damaging) that sometimes I can't help but feel that they'd be better off sticking to just posting facts...

They are still entitled to their opinion - only time will tell if the club has done the right thing by selling Milner,

whatever the fee ; KK has put his judgment on the line by claiming that the decision is his, so he can hardly complain in future if either no new signings materialise, or Milner goes on to be a success at his new club.

Reading on the heroes&villains forum, I got a little confused and thought maybe they had signed another player called Milner.

Good to see another player coming in who is strong on both left and right foot. Both Milner and Ashley Young cross and shoot with either foot.[/qoute]

Milner over Bentley.

I think it just Newcastle fans are just starting to realise they`re not `a big club` anymore.

Man with beer in his belly is thinking this could prove to be the club's best signing since St. Dennis of Mortimer.

Top four this year or next.

Quality signing. Only 22, excellent player as it is, but can improve. You can play him anywhere across the midfield, importantly he's firstly a wideman too, left or right, but especially right. That now completes a very good, balanced first 11 now.

I'm delighted. He'll fit in brilliantly, and he'll develop into an England player, that I'm sure of. I was a big Milner fan when he was here, and immensely disappointed when we didn't get him 2 years back.

That's just taken from the two last pages of a thread. Haven't seen -one- negative post about him...gosh.

He was good for them. Will play well, do a good job. £12m is a huge fee for him, pretty much had to be sold for that..

I know alot of people are pleased to see milner gone, and that we've got 12million, but i think alot are missing the point

in order to be a succesful team in the premier league, you need depth, you need milners in your squad, people who work hard

look at aston villa,they hardly NEED him ,they are just adding to the depth of the team, adding to other young players such as ashley young

ok he might not of been a fantastic player jimmy, but if we are going to challenge the top 8 at least, you need people like him in your squad, 12million or not, as keegan said the funding was already there even if he didnt leave, i belive this to be a poor decision as it leaves us further bare bones and putting more pressure to sign a replacement

so yeah, we got more than hes probebly valued, but at this level if you want to hit the top 8, top 6 etc, i think you really need to keep hold of players like milner

Oh be quiet man.

It really is about time we implemented an anti-idiot rule.

Guest Darth Toon

Also if they do have a 25% sell on fee then it would likely be 25% of £8.4 million.

That would be about right I would say - as far as I'm aware, sell-on clauses are usually only activated for any amount over and above the original fee.

12M is fantastic money; but it is as only as good as the replacement we buy.

For £12m you could buy two replacements and I'm pretty sure at least one would be as good as or better than Milner.

12m is good money for a player who cant cross the ball, and Mlner has said Its was not the club or Keegan he was unhappy with but his contract, Money = GREED, sick to death of all these young players wanting more and more better off without him if thats what he wants I mean only on Monday after the game he said all he wanted to do was play football, missed out the bit about wanting 40-50k a week to do it thou.

Even if he was only on 10-20k a week that is still a HUGE AMOUNT of money for someone his age who has achieved nothing.

So good riddance now lets get some players in that want to play for us and move on :thup:

For £12m you could buy two replacements and I'm pretty sure at least one would be as good as or better than Milner.

True, but if we don't buy a replacement then it isn't such a good deal.

1) I think it's a good deal regardless if you take a long term view to improve the quality of the squad.

2) I believe Keegan when he says there will be players coming in.

Guest elbee909

Whatever, microbrain/penis etc.

Seriously (no 'shrieking' doom-monger criticism please . . . ) is it not one step forward / one step back, when you selll and then buy?  Even if it is a 'slightly better' player bought (hopefully) it is still not in the same league as 'buying to increase the size of and the quality of the squad' - is it?

"The 22-year-old was signed for United by Sir Bobby Robson in the summer of 2004 and went on to make 136 appearances, scoring 11 goals."

This wraps it up, 12 mil for a attacking minded midfielder who scored 11 goals out of 136 appearences.

He is prolific  compared to Jonas.

PLEASE NOTE: THE ABOVE STATEMENT IS ABOUT GOALSCORING STATS & NOTHING ELSE.

If only Martin O'Neill had your football expertise eh.

"The 22-year-old was signed for United by Sir Bobby Robson in the summer of 2004 and went on to make 136 appearances, scoring 11 goals."

This wraps it up, 12 mil for a attacking minded midfielder who scored 11 goals out of 136 appearences.

and N'Zogbia.

and N'Zogbia.

Do you think the £12 million was a good price for Milner and that we should have sold him?

Milner is a frustrating player to watch, fact.  I am "conflicted" about his selling to Villa to say the least.  I feel like, for him personally, moving to Villa was a great move and he will do well there, maybe even thrusting them into the upper echelon of the Prem but couldn't do the same job for us.  Playing for us though, is a different story.  At AV he will be under less pressure and allowed to play freely like we would've/could've never let him play - all the negativity about his speed and (supposedly) lack of crossing ability will be washed away at Villa where they appreciate him and like they are saying on their forum: he only has room to improve.

That being said, 12m (although this is the only place I've seen it placed at 12m, every where placed it at 10m) is an extraordinary amount for Jimmy and we could not afford not to let him go at that price.  We can splash that money elsewhere (and I am confident that we are or else we would've not let him go).

Do you think the £12 million was a good price for Milner and that we should have sold him?

Good price, but I don't think we should have sold him at this time. Even if we do get a player in to replace him, there's no guarantee they'll be good for us or settle in straight away. It could have been put off until January when we'll have a better of where we are squadwise, and sold then if he was surplus to requirements.

Personally I wouldn't have sold him even for £12m as I think he adds more to the team than he's given credit for, even when he's not playing well he doesn't disappear. His game isn't based on pace, so he's not as likely to go down hill as other young players who rely on that aspect of their game, so I think he'll only get better. Added to that he's a model pro and a good example to other youngsters.

Milner is a frustrating player to watch, fact.  I am "conflicted" about his selling to Villa to say the least.  I feel like, for him personally, moving to Villa was a great move and he will do well there, maybe even thrusting them into the upper echelon of the Prem but couldn't do the same job for us.  Playing for us though, is a different story.  At AV he will be under less pressure and allowed to play freely like we would've/could've never let him play - all the negativity about his speed and (supposedly) lack of crossing ability will be washed away at Villa where they appreciate him and like they are saying on their forum: he only has room to improve.

That being said, 12m (although this is the only place I've seen it placed at 12m, every where placed it at 10m) is an extraordinary amount for Jimmy and we could not afford not to let him go at that price.  We can splash that money elsewhere (and I am confident that we are or else we would've not let him go).

its on official website that we got 12m

Leaving aside the 110% Commitment, hard working ethos, squeaky clean image, James was a frustrating player to watch, sometimes he would do something exceptional at the right moment, but most of the time I was frustrated watching him, and for 12 million I would certainly take a gamble that we can replace him with someone less frustrating. (i'm getting frustrated here just thinking about all this...).

Our club site have it as £12 million, the fee shouldn't be in doubt.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1378964,00.html

and N'Zogbia.

MON has never made a bad signing.

Oh be quiet man.

It really is about time we implemented an anti-idiot rule.

as Merlin says, they are entitled to their opinion.

Is this attitude catching ?