James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Championship player tbh.

Goal yesterday looked good but in reality it was a deflected effort

He is an average premiership player looking good in a good 'team of the moment' team

He will unfortunately piss all over our entire midfield at the end of the season in regards to goals and assists.

Just for the record, Duff has scored more than Milner in the league this season, and Ameobi has only one assist fewer than Milner & Ronaldo.

:lol:

Championship player tbh.

He is an average premiership player looking good in a good 'team of the moment' team

He will unfortunately piss all over our entire midfield at the end of the season in regards to goals and assists.

Just for the record, Duff has scored more than Milner in the league this season, and Ameobi has only one assist fewer than Milner & Ronaldo.

We will see at the end of the season won't we (ignoring the fact I said midfield when Shola is a striker).

Championship player tbh.

We will see at the end of the season won't we (ignoring the fact I said midfield when Shola is a striker).

What I find more worrying is you seem to be happy that Milner will have better stats than our own players (which I agree he will btw) so that you are proven right.

Championship player tbh.

What I find more worrying is you seem to be happy that Milner will have better stats than our own players (which I agree he will btw) so that you are proven right.

Not really, I will be a bit pissed off we are left with Duff on the right (if he is given preference over Taylor) because the £12m wasn't spent on a better player to replace the "championship footballer".

Milner's crossing was very inconsistent - though I haven't seen any marked improvement with Jonas.

As I said earlier, I was certain John Robertson's coaching would improve Milner's play - he also was a winger without much pace, but he was instrumental in Forest's European Cup successes....

Championship player tbh.

Not really, I will be a bit pissed off we are left with Duff on the right (if he is given preference over Taylor) because the £12m wasn't spent on a better player to replace the "championship footballer".

Which is the crux of the issue for me. We couldn't turn down that bid on the premise that the money was going to be used to bring in better players, especially as we were selling a player who is so versatile, despite me not rating him that highly. However for whatever reason this hasn't happened.

Milner's crossing was very inconsistent - though I haven't seen any marked improvement with Jonas.

As I said earlier, I was certain John Robertson's coaching would improve Milner's play - he also was a winger without much pace, but he was instrumental in Forest's European Cup successes....

Robertson was class though. Milner isn't.

I've heard from people more qualified than myself in the past saying Robertson is an excellent coach full stop.

I've heard from people more qualified than myself in the past saying Robertson is an excellent coach full stop.

Cloghies fav as well.

I didn't mind Milner.. but the truth is I could never accept him because his cheekbones annoyed me far too much.

Is it because of my chubby hamster cheeks that I hold a grudge? Who knows for sure.. but what I do know is that them cheekbones are ridiculous. They weren't top 4 material and soon they'll be found out at that level.

He''s in my dream team.  :blush:

But i was never a massively deranged critic of him like some on here. £12m though, i still think we got a good deal, only we never spent the money, but lets not get in to that.

He''s in my dream team.  :blush:

But i was never a massively deranged critic of him like some on here. £12m though, i still think we got a good deal, only we never spent the money, but lets not get in to that.

:thup:

I didn't mind Milner.. but the truth is I could never accept him because his cheekbones annoyed me far too much.

Is it because of my chubby hamster cheeks that I hold a grudge? Who knows for sure.. but what I do know is that them cheekbones are ridiculous. They weren't top 4 material and soon they'll be found out at that level.

mackems.gif

Not exactly - Robertson definitely WASN'T class until one Brian Clough got hold of him ; he was an overweight, moody and slow Scottish winger who showed the odd flash of brilliance - Milner certainly looked a better prospect at 21 than Robertson did..

He was one of the players that Clough was constantly on the back of - they had an argumentative relationship to say the least and Clough was always at him...then, when Robertson's wife fell seriously ill, Clough was the first one to send her flowers, much to Robertson's amazement...!

That was one of the reasons Clough was such a great manager - his players never knew EXACTLY how he was going to react....

Not exactly - Robertson definitely WASN'T class until one Brian Clough got hold of him ; he was an overweight, moody and slow Scottish winger who showed the odd flash of brilliance - Milner certainly looked a better prospect at 21 than Robertson did..

He was one of the players that Clough was constantly on the back of - they had an argumentative relationship to say the least and Clough was always at him...then, when Robertson's wife fell seriously ill, Clough was the first one to send her flowers, much to Robertson's amazement...!

That was one of the reasons Clough was such a great manager - his players never knew EXACTLY how he was going to react....

Martin O'Neill pretty much said the same thing.

• 10 months later...

I never rated Milner and I still think at the time we did very well to sell him for £12m, but he seems to be doing very very well now. He needs pacey and dynamic players around him, which he now has.

And finally someone seems to have realised the obvious, that he's an attacking central midfielder and not a wide player.

Guest dazzanufc1892

fair play to the lad, seems ever since being given the role that we was all screaming for him to have, in the centre of the park, he has flurished.

Looks cracking now he can float round the park, reminding me of scholes at the moment. Does have electric pace, but picks a nice pass, uses space well, times his runs well, movement is great and shooting accuracy seems to have come on an absolute treat.

I never rated Milner and I still think at the time we did very well to sell him for £12m, but he seems to be doing very very well now. He needs pacey and dynamic players around him, which he now has.

And finally someone seems to have realised the obvious, that he's an attacking central midfielder and not a wide player.

Precisely. Still is horribly average as a winger in my eyes. However, through the middle, his strongest assets, which are his workrate and his shooting, are really paying dividends for him. Also looks like he is pretty good at threading a through ball too to be fair to him. He has always been a hard worker so really can't fault his success. Well done.

Precisely. Still is horribly average as a winger in my eyes. However, through the middle, his strongest assets, which are his workrate and his shooting, are really paying dividends for him. Also looks like he is pretty good at threading a through ball too to be fair to him. He has always been a hard worker so really can't fault his success. Well done.

you thought routledge was better, didn't ya?