KK resigns - see OP for new club statement issued September 6th

Guest Darth Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Getting more and more frustrated with this now.

I'm also losing sympathy with Keegan the longer he drags this on. He either needs to say he is staying or leave, it's not fair to leave the club in limbo like this, no man is biger than the club. 

How long can we practically go on in "negotiations".  I know media & PR don't seem to be high on the agenda at the club, but a little confirmation as to whether or not we have a manager would be nice after 3 days.  Idiots.

Eh?

We've made a statement yesterday and said negotiations are ongoing.

What do you expect, hourly updates telling us that "Discussions are still ongoing!!"

How long can we practically go on in "negotiations".  I know media & PR don't seem to be high on the agenda at the club, but a little confirmation as to whether or not we have a manager would be nice after 3 days.  Idiots.

Eh?

We've made a statement yesterday and said negotiations are ongoing.

What do you expect, hourly updates telling us that "Discussions are still ongoing!!"

From the club. If KK had come out and said something a lot of the worrying would have been allayed, even if they did need more time. The problem is that people are taking what the club says with a pinch of salt, mainly due to the rumours about compensation et al.

We simply want both sides of the story, or at least some sort of a balance of information where we can stay pacified until a decision is made.

The longer this silence, especially Keegan's, goes on the more I'm inclined to agree with those who say Keegan and his lawyers are now playing hardball as to his "pay-off." They'll be up to their eyeballs discussing legalities and  points of view semantics about "We didn't sack you mate.." along with "Well, I sure as hell didn't resign." then "But you walked out!" replied by "But I never went anywhere!" If this whole episode was about rules of responsability within the new structure of the club it would have been sorted within the first few hours of the dispute arising. Keegan may have reasoned that by playing the same game twice - walking out - the Board would go into instant panic mode and beg him to come back like last time. Maybe this time there's a bulllet in the chamber with his name on it.

If Keegan stays I'm sure Ashley will not forget or forgive this slight.

I'm beginning to lean this way too.

I think Keegan threatened to quit over something and they called his bluff.

I'm also beginning to think this might have happened late Saturday or very early Sunday, after which the board decided to sell off the players they would have prefered to this summer, but who they had kept because Keegan requested it. The likes of Owen, Smith and Barton.

It was just so weird the way they were all suddenly rumoured to be available on Sunday I thought. It was as though Keegan had already gone by then.

The best news we could hope for is Ashley comes back with an investor on board and Keegan get's what he wanted all along in full transfer control.

Think Wise must go if Ashley doesn't want this to happen again a few months down the line, because it will!

And the lack of respect shown to the fans in this and the transfer shenanigans is disgusting! Ashley needs to communicate more with the real heart of the club instead of hiding when things aren't going so well.

The longer this silence, especially Keegan's, goes on the more I'm inclined to agree with those who say Keegan and his lawyers are now playing hardball as to his "pay-off." They'll be up to their eyeballs discussing legalities and  points of view semantics about "We didn't sack you mate.." along with "Well, I sure as hell didn't resign." then "But you walked out!" replied by "But I never went anywhere!" If this whole episode was about rules of responsability within the new structure of the club it would have been sorted within the first few hours of the dispute arising. Keegan may have reasoned that by playing the same game twice - walking out - the Board would go into instant panic mode and beg him to come back like last time. Maybe this time there's a bulllet in the chamber with his name on it.

I'm also beginning to think this might have happened late Saturday or very early Sunday, after which the board decided to sell off the players they would have prefered to this summer, but who they had kept because Keegan requested it. The likes of Owen, Smith and Barton.

It was just so weird the way they were all suddenly rumoured to be available on Sunday I thought. It was as though Keegan had already gone by then.

The issue is not will/won't Keegan return as Newcastle manager but the situation the club will face if/when he does. There will be a fracture along management lines within the operating structure of the club. The Board will basically have a "maverick" in charge of the most important aspect of the business. There is no way Ashley will find this acceptable. Instructions will be issued to undermine and get rid of Keegan asap. If Keegan thinks the last transfer window was a pain in the arse wait until January.

The issue is not will/won't Keegan return as Newcastle manager but the situation the club will face if/when he does. There will be a fracture along management lines within the operating structure of the club. The Board will basically have a "maverick" in charge of the most important aspect of the business. There is no way Ashley will find this acceptable. Instructions will be issued to undermine and get rid of Keegan asap. If Keegan thinks the last transfer window was a pain in the arse wait until January.

I agree, if Keegan does stay he'll be a dead man walking and I'd expect them to be on the lookout for a replacement to take over next Summer.

I agree, if Keegan does stay he'll be a dead man walking and I'd expect them to be on the lookout for a replacement to take over next Summer.

on top of that how long will ashley stick around with all the grief he'll get ?

I agree. I think Keegan is done.

If this is the case, we'll just have to wait and see what happens next.

I'll still be supporting the club and the team though. I love Keegan, but I'm pretty sure he isn't totally blameless in all this. I just find that very hard to believe. I won't be boycotting just because he's left that's for sure.

I'm really just sick of all this.

If Keegan is toast, get a manager in who the Jimenez, Wise and Vetere identify, who is happy with the setup, and lets move forward quickly.

This is just bloody boring now.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

The weekend fall out could have some credibility. It's been widely reported all summer Ashley was looking to shrink the wage bill. Those three players are among the top earners at the club. Ashley probably wants a more compact wage structure for first teamers, say from £30k to £50k per week. The wages those three are currently on put them at risk of sale and to be fair the club has a reason to sell all three (Owen's contract, Smith being shite and Barton being a cunt).

The weekend fall out could have some credibility. It's been widely reported all summer Ashley was looking to shrink the wage bill. Those three players are among the top earners at the club. Ashley probably wants a more compact wage structure for first teamers, say from £30k to £50k per week. The wages those three are currently on put them at risk of sale and to be fair the club has a reason to sell all three (Owen's contract, Smith being s**** and Barton being a c***).

why offer him a new contract then? (owen) unless of course he refused to sign it?

on top of that how long will ashley stick around with all the grief he'll get ?

He probably just stuck a huge "For Sale" sign in the centre-spot the moment the shit hit the fan. Ashley is no mug. You don't slap down the fan's favourite without knowing the consequences. We may lose Keegan but end up owned by India/Saudi Arabia/Pegswood plc....

I was also just thinking back to the Keegan rant after the Chelsea game today ... what was that about back then?

It seemed as though he was already resisting the agreed upon direction back then. It's as though he just couldn't accept having to slowly build up to the top fours level.

He was complaining about never speaking to the owner, despite Ashley already stating that he didn't really want to be involved with the running of the club and would therefore hire people to do that for him, whcih quite honestly, is fair enough.

Lets also remember that a meeting was already held last week Wednesday, where I am pretty sure serious discussions took place. Then again on Sunday, Monday and up till now?!

Embarrassingly enough, it seems as though this mess has been ongoing all along, just as the papers kept saying.

Has this pretty much been a stare down all along to see if the club would sack Keegan first, or if he would quit first?

Bloody insane!

The weekend fall out could have some credibility. It's been widely reported all summer Ashley was looking to shrink the wage bill. Those three players are among the top earners at the club. Ashley probably wants a more compact wage structure for first teamers, say from £30k to £50k per week. The wages those three are currently on put them at risk of sale and to be fair the club has a reason to sell all three (Owen's contract, Smith being s**** and Barton being a c***).

why offer him a new contract then? (owen) unless of course he refused to sign it?

Ashley played him a hand with this new contract to call his bluff. He probably realises that Owen is waiting for the really big pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Due summer 2009.

Guest sicko2ndbest

If Ashley was clever he would realine the chain of command, placing KK as Denis Wises' line manager. This would not sit well with Wise and would probably result in him resigning, meaning fat ash wouldnt have to pay compo

I want the club back.

I'm at the point now where I'm not hung up on this Keegan stuff anymore.

I don't think Ashley's ideas are so outrageous or wrong that it justifies breaking up all that has been put together just for the sake of one man, not this soon into proceedings anyway.

Quite frankly it would just be a lot easier right now if Keegan left. That is the plain and simple truth.

It's bloody unfortunate, and it definitely sucks on a lot of levels, but hey, this is what it is.

Guest Mucky01

I agree with the “dead man walking” theory but whoever has used their power to force Keegan out Derek Llambias, Dennis Wise, or Mike Ashley totally under estimated the backlash. This is obviously the power to/of KK, but there will have to be a “Fall Guy” for KK to stay which will be either Derek Llambias or Dennis Wise depending on who KK thinks is to blame.

Now this is insanity to back KK that much, but MA employed KK to exploit his messiah status, which with the years out of the game became a living legend/messiah, basically MA has created a monster and he will have to somehow find a way to tame this soon.

One thing we don’t know is who is to blame, for all we know both basically Derek Llambias and Dennis Wise have done exactly what they were asked to do, so they were employed in the wrong capacity to fit in with the requirements of why KK was employed. Ashley lost tens of millions of pounds backing SA and has to make sure that it is not repeated but the lines drawn between each others role are clearly wrong and will have to change for whoever is the manager.

In the meantime Derek Llambias, Dennis Wise and Mike Ashley are both not welcome (to say the least) in Newcastle and if I was MA I would be seething with the KK situation and if it was his fault he will have to respond which might mean creating hatred from Newcastle fans. Surely if MA has employed Derek Llambias to run the club it is him who has to sort it out or get out.

If they cop out and agree a mutual consent pay-off tactic for KK, will the fans believe it or forgive Mike Ashley (‘where the buck stops’), I doubt it – I know I won’t.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

Why announce Milner had submitted a transfer request after they had sat on it for weeks, the day before selling him? Turn the player into the bad guy, job done.

What everyone seems to be forgetting (and especially the press) is our mostly positive start to the season. If Keegan stays, I'd be reasonably confident of a comfortable top-half finish, and that would stick fingers up at the doubters brilliantly.

Love how some people are convincing themselves that the system as it allegedly is (i.e. someone other than the manager being allowed to sell important players without the manager's approval and not even bothering to replace them) would be fine if we had a foreign manager.

I can just see Wenger happy as a sandboy on the last day of the transfer window when he gets a phonecall saying "he" has just sold Fabregas.

I was also just thinking back to the Keegan rant after the Chelsea game today ... what was that about back then?

It seemed as though he was already resisting the agreed upon direction back then. It's as though he just couldn't accept having to slowly build up to the top fours level.

He was complaining about never speaking to the owner, despite Ashley already stating that he didn't really want to be involved with the running of the club and would therefore hire people to do that for him, whcih quite honestly, is fair enough.

Lets also remember that a meeting was already held last week Wednesday, where I am pretty sure serious discussions took place. Then again on Sunday, Monday and up till now?!

Embarrassingly enough, it seems as though this mess has been ongoing all along, just as the papers kept saying.

Has this pretty much been a stare down all along to see if the club would sack Keegan first, or if he would quit first?

Bloody insane!

Agree. Good points. Keegan must have been totally aware of what Ashley and the Board were setting in place during discussions to enlist him as manager. Keegan must have known that a "European" model was being installed with the hiring of Wise as DOF, the in-depth worldwide scouting network and the emphasis on youth. He would have been told of his remit within that structure and what was required of him. His job was to manage first team affairs with the DOF and his staff handling other duties. Ashley wanted Keegan to be nothing more that a glorified coach ala the European model. Keegan signed up knowing this.

As far as this transfer window has gone I think we did ok with the 5 players we got in. As regards players going out I think those above Keegan suspect that Owen wants to run down his contract to ensure a bigger payday when he can leave on a free in 2009 and as for Barton, I think Keegan made a major tactical mistake bringing him on for the last 5 minutes or whatever at Arsenal. The fallout to that has been loud and clear. Barton will probably be banned for 10 or so games which IMHO seriously brings into question Keegan's moral and professional judgement. I'm not surprised the Board tried to offload Barton and it is a very sad day for someone who is respected and loved as much as Keegan by us the fan's that this waste of space will ultimately lead to his downfall.

What everyone seems to be forgetting (and especially the press) is our mostly positive start to the season. If Keegan stays, I'd be reasonably confident of a comfortable top-half finish, and that would stick fingers up at the doubters brilliantly.

Yeah, I read something on the BBC that said "Newcastle have had a disappointing start and have only taken 4 points from the first three games of the season". It's a fucking joke what gets written in the media, it's even more of a joke that people swallow it.

Guest Darth Toon

Love how some people are convincing themselves that the system as it allegedly is (i.e. someone other than the manager being allowed to sell important players without the manager's approval and not even bothering to replace them) would be fine if we had a foreign manager.

I can just see Wenger happy as a sandboy on the last day of the transfer window when he gets a phonecall saying "he" has just sold Fabregas.

That's the point a lot of people seem to be missing - this isn't about Barton, Smith, Owen, Milner or any other individual player, it's the principle of KK being in charge of player purchases and sales.

This doesn't mean he does everything himself, just that he has the final say - someone has to, and it's logical that it should be the manager who has to work with them. Bring in a yes man if you like, but will he have half the respect in the dressing room KK has? No chance.

For me it's a straight choice between sycophantic, manipulative career men with no more love for NUFC than the typical mackem and a bloke with a record proven over 3 decades of loving our club and doing the best for it, and that's no choice at all however you look at it.

Yeah, I read something on the BBC that said "Newcastle have had a disappointing start and have only taken 4 points from the first three games of the season". It's a fucking joke what gets written in the media, it's even more of a joke that people swallow it.

i don`t swallow