Fatih Terim interested in NUFC job

SUPERTOON

The DOF system really isn't that shocking to people outside Britain. As far as i know most clubs in France, Germany, Turkey, and Italy use it.

Exactly.

Do they all employ DOF with zero experience of the job or standing in the game too?

Alot of them yes. Aulas at Lyon buys all the players, as does Moratti at Inter, same with the chap at Juve. I think the owners buy the players at Galatasary and Fenerbahce aswell. Atleast Wise actually has a background in football, that's more than alot of these guys.

Dennis Wise works mostly with Jimenez does he not? I don't think he is solely responsible for the buying of the players at all.

Vetere is the man that oversees the scouting and he is very experienced, and then Wise assists jimenez in negotiating and purchasing of players. Jimenez is also very experienced.

It's hardly a case of the club having just hired people who do not know what they are doing is it.

If Wise and all were so clueless they wouldn't have landed the players they managed to this summer, all of whom look really good.

They are doing a good job of identifying players, the issue was with beingin agreement with the manager on who exactly should be bought.

People need to stop acting as though they have done a bad job, or as though they are clueless. It's stupid.

Dennis Wise works mostly with Jimenez does he not? I don't think he is solely responsible for the buying of the players at all.

Vetere is the man that oversees the scouting and he is very experienced, and then Wise assists jimenez in negotiating and purchasing of players. Jimenez is also very experienced.

It's hardly a case of the club having just hired people who do not know what they are doing is it.

If Wise and all were so clueless they wouldn't have landed the players they managed to this summer, all of whom look really good.

They are doing a good job of identifying players, the issue was with beingin agreement with the manager on who exactly should be bought.

People need to stop acting as though they have done a bad job, or as though they are clueless. It's stupid.

never mind that, they are cockney wankers/poisoned dwarves (etc, etc...ad infinitum)

never mind that, they are cockney wankers/poisoned dwarves (etc, etc...ad infinitum)

It's so dissapointing to see such a simplistic view being taken.

As far as i'm concerned, the only issue was in their differences with KK, which I am sure he was equally guilty for.

Other than that, they have shown they are certainly good at what they are doing. Calling them all the names under the sun will not change that.

It's so dissapointing to see such a simplistic view being taken.

As far as i'm concerned, the only issue was in their differences with KK, which I am sure he was equally guilty for.

Other than that, they have shown they are certainly good at what they are doing. Calling them all the names under the sun will not change that.

A dangerous amount of sense being talked here lads.

They have done a bad job, there was a great deal of discontent after the window closed and before the stuff about keegan was announced. the fact that a working relationship with the man they were supposed to be helping detoriated into a farce is another black mark in their book.

i'd classify a good job as having ensured we competed in the transfer market for top players, brought about 5 or 6 of them in (instead of 2), spent a good amount, communicated with the manager to establish his specific needs for the side, scouted players he wanted or that met his criteria and so on. had they done this keegan would be at the club. for the likes of Jiminez and Llambias, doing a good job means keeping things running smoothly. obviously they have failed in that regard.

The identification of players seem to have been somewhat of a success, so Vetere deserves credit, but he's not the person people are having a go at. And i'd guess that players like Jonas and Coloccini were brought in with Keegan's seal of approval - so he exercised some quality control and must also take credit for those transfers. We know that the club also scouted Gomis and Diane from Ligue 1 and Keegan did not give the green light to these deals, another example of quality control being exercised to good effect. it was when this 'final say' was taken away from him that the problems started and the working relationship began to sour, from which there can be no way back.

For definitions of 'sense' being synonymous with wishful thinking.

Have we improved the first team? Slightly. Have we improved the squad in numbers? Not at all. Have we brought in players to the positions most needing it? No. Do we have a manager capable of bringing the most out of the players? ... Will we be able to attract one, considering we have no transfer budget and have treated our former manager like shit? Certainly, with extraordinary amounts of luck. But without one, all we have is a squad that is no better than the one Souness had for his first season.

Have we improved the first team? Slightly. Have we improved the squad in numbers? Not at all. Have we brought in players to the positions most needing it? No. Do we have a manager capable of bringing the most out of the players? ... Will we be able to attract one, considering we have no transfer budget and have treated our former manager like s***? Certainly, with extraordinary amounts of luck. But without one, all we have is a squad that is no better than the one Souness had for his first season.

slightly improved?

Out - In

David Rozehnal - :colo:

Emre - Guthrie

Carr - Xisco

Ramage - Bassong

Faye - Nacho

Milner - Jonas

Granted there's not been much time to see how the new players are settling in, and Nacho is an unknown, and Xisco has only had one good season in spain, but on the other hand, we've got rid of some real dross, and I'm far, far happier with Jonas than Milner in the side.  Of the players who have gone, I only rated Faye - rozenhal was clearly bobbins, emre's best days are behind him, carr and ramage, were clearly dogshite....  I'm happy to see any of the players we've brought in in the first team.  It's a blatant, clear, definite improvement.

All this bitching and moaning, and we've got a genuinely exciting team; one which can hold its own at manu ffs.  Now then I know that KK had plenty to do with that, but don't take anything away from the players either.

Am I gutted KK's gone? Sure, but the club's more than KK, and in all honesty, I'm over all this drama.  KK and the board had a tiff, KK's done a runner, but we've still got the players, and I really, really don't think any great injustice has been done to us, I'm still far happier with Ashley in charge than Freddie, and I just want to get on with supporting Newcastle United.

Have we improved the first team? Slightly. Have we improved the squad in numbers? Not at all. Have we brought in players to the positions most needing it? No. Do we have a manager capable of bringing the most out of the players? ... Will we be able to attract one, considering we have no transfer budget and have treated our former manager like s***? Certainly, with extraordinary amounts of luck. But without one, all we have is a squad that is no better than the one Souness had for his first season.

slightly improved?

Out - In

Emre - Guthrie

Carr - Xisco

Ramage - Bassong

Faye - Nacho

Milner - Jonas

Granted there's not been much time to see how the new players are settling in, and Nacho is an unknown, and Xisco has only had one good season in spain, but on the other hand, we've got rid of some real dross, and I'm far, far happier with Jonas than Milner in the side.  Of the players who have gone, I only rated Faye - rozenhal was clearly bobbins, emre's best days are behind him, carr and ramage, were clearly dogshite....  I'm happy to see any of the players we've brought in in the first team.  It's a blatant, clear, definite improvement.

All this bitching and moaning, and we've got a genuinely exciting team; one which can hold its own at manu ffs.  Now then I know that KK had plenty to do with that, but don't take anything away from the players either.

Am I gutted KK's gone? Sure, but the club's more than KK, and in all honesty, I'm over all this drama.  KK and the board had a tiff, KK's done a runner, but we've still got the players, and I really, really don't think any great injustice has been done to us, I'm still far happier with Ashley in charge than Freddie, and I just want to get on with supporting Newcastle United.

good stuff, right on the money

Thank goodness we've at long last got people at the club who can scour the world for hidden gems like an Argentinian international playing in the Spanish Pimera going for a snip at £10m.  :rolleyes:

Collocini is a good/decent player in Spain/at international level. Great. Go scouting team!

The proof of their ability as scouts will be if he adapts to the Premier League. I know some have already branded him a success, but I'm reserving judgment for now - there have been definite weaknesses shown in his game so far. Boumsong and Rozehnal came with similar pedigrees and looked promising at first too. Let's see how he copes with the expectations that come with his price tag, and how he does when he's inevitably labeled by the media (rightly or wrongly) with the dodgy Newcastle defender stereotype.

It's a blatant, clear, definite improvement.

Alongside the blatant, clear, definite improvement to the squad most were convinced of this time last year I guess we should be looking forward to taking one of those Champions League places. Choo Choo, all aboard the train to delusionville, first stop overrate new players city.

slightly improved?

Out - In

Emre - Guthrie

Carr - Xisco

Ramage - Bassong

Faye - Nacho

Milner - Jonas

That's a strange way of putting it, as we clearly haven't replaced Carr and Ramage at all. We have only one right back. Jonas and Coloccini are our only new first team players, possibly Nacho as well (he'll most likely need time to adapt), but the rest shouldn't be starting. Bassong is merely OK as back-up and Guthrie is one for the future, Xisco is unknown.

Fact is, most teams around us have improved their first teams more. Luckily, that doesn't include Middlesbrough.

Thank goodness we've at long last got people at the club who can scour the world for hidden gems like an Argentinian international playing in the Spanish Pimera going for a snip at £10m.  :rolleyes:

Collocini is a good/decent player in Spain/at international level. Great. Go scouting team!

The proof of their ability as scouts will be if he adapts to the Premier League. I know some have already branded him a success, but I'm reserving judgment for now - there have been definite weaknesses shown in his game so far. Boumsong and Rozehnal came with similar pedigrees and looked promising at first too. Let's see how he copes with the expectations that come with his price tag, and how he does when he's inevitably labeled by the media (rightly or wrongly) with the dodgy Newcastle defender stereotype.

Alongside the blatant, clear, definite improvement to the squad most were convinced of this time last year I guess we should be looking forward to taking one of those Champions League places. Choo Choo, all aboard the train to delusionville, first stop overrate new players city.

Put in your typically arsey fashion, but some good points nontheless.

On paper we've improved the squad player-for-player, but things are never that simple here.

:lol:

pretty funny for you that UV

agree about colo and jonas btw - already labelled successes by some...the boumsong comparison isn't lost on me but colo looks to have more pedigree, boumsong had only ever played in auxerre and rangers (:lol:) then to us i think, colo's been around and seen it so i'd personally expect him to adapt quite well

time will tell though

Nobody said our team is good enough for a CL place. But if you seriously cant see the difference between our current first team and last year's, then no need to board the train mate....you're already in Delusionville!

Have we brought in players to the positions most needing it?

The majority of people here thought that we needed a striker and an attacking midfielder before the window closed as their top priority.

Yep. An alternative for Butt would have been nice as well but there you go.

Guest optimistic nit

Colo has come with a much higher pedigree than Boum mind, but i agree, they are not success' yet.

i dont really understand your first point UV. people have been criticising all summer for not buying proven quality or spending big money and you seem to have an issue with the fact that the club had the gaul to sign someone with a reputation and some pedigree. Their talent as scouts will depend more on whether signings like Bassong, Nacho and Jonas, players that we had not heard of and came for little money, work out.

incidently i doubt that there is a single premierleague club that wouldn't have considered spending 10million on colo, and would have if they had 10million spare, so i think we've done brilliantly to sign him. i just hope we dont lower his game like we did with most players we signed pre keegan.

Colo has come with a much higher pedigree than Boum mind, but i agree, they are not success' yet.

i dont really understand your first point UV. people have been criticising all summer for not buying proven quality or spending big money and you seem to have an issue with the fact that the club had the gaul to sign someone with a reputation and some pedigree. Their talent as scouts will depend more on whether signings like Bassong, Nacho and Jonas, players that we had not heard of and came for little money, work out.

incidently i doubt that there is a single premierleague club that wouldn't have considered spending 10million on colo, and would have if they had 10million spare, so i think we've done brilliantly to sign him. i just hope we dont lower his game like we did with most players we signed pre keegan.

I watched Colo for Argentina in th WC match against Paraguay and he was immaculate. Anticipated everything and looked head and shoulders above Heinze who was rated so highly when he played here.

Guest Toon Argy

I watched Colo for Argentina in th WC match against Paraguay and he was immaculate. Anticipated everything and looked head and shoulders above Heinze who was rated so highly when he played here.

Heinze has never been as good as what he used to be before he got injured.

He was dogshite after his injury. Class before it though.

Guest Toon Argy

He was dogshite after his injury. Class before it though.

I remember the game where ameobi came on and tore him apart.