Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

What would most certainly help a player like Jonas is some fucking movement like. He always seems to be able to beat a man or two and then there's absolutely nothing on for him. It's like the others just stand still thinking 'well done lad, nice one!' but not actually having the presence of mind to give him an option. This doesn't excuse the number of times he tries to take on one too many without getting the cross in, but it might explain it to some degree.

Similar for Martins tbh. Both are probably too quick for their team mates.

What would most certainly help a player like Jonas is some fucking movement like. He always seems to be able to beat a man or two and then there's absolutely nothing on for him. It's like the others just stand still thinking 'well done lad, nice one!' but not actually having the presence of mind (or the legs) to give him an option. This doesn't excuse the number of times he tries to take on one too many without getting the cross in, but it might explain it to some degree.

Can't cross anyway.

He's not alone in that regard though is he? Just seems a bit simplistic to me to say 'he can't cross, therefore he's shit because he plays on the wing and that's what they do'. We should be working around his strengths, just like any other player we have.

What would most certainly help a player like Jonas is some fucking movement like. He always seems to be able to beat a man or two and then there's absolutely nothing on for him. It's like the others just stand still thinking 'well done lad, nice one!' but not actually having the presence of mind (or the legs) to give him an option. This doesn't excuse the number of times he tries to take on one too many without getting the cross in, but it might explain it to some degree.

Can't cross anyway.

He's not alone in that regard though is he? Just seems a bit simplistic to me to say 'he can't cross, therefore he's a shit because he plays on the wing and that's what they do'. We should be working around his strengths, just like any other player we have.

I harbour the insane idea he's make a good and energetic right back.

Can't cross anyway.

He's not alone in that regard though is he? Just seems a bit simplistic to me to say 'he can't cross, therefore he's a shit because he plays on the wing and that's what they do'. We should be working around his strengths, just like any other player we have.

I think a proper right back would do the job better.

Guest optimistic nit

Can't cross anyway.

and you'd be wrong as always. imagine jonas trying to play an offside trap.

we'd probably spend half the time with two left backs and no right backs, and when jonas gets tacked we'd be fucked. Jonas' best position (by some way imo) is in a wide free role.

Didn't Jonas get a ton of assists last season? He beats people with ease which is like gold dust in our team and he seems to be our only source of real creativity. I believe he's capable of providing for the strikers but he really does need to just work at his delivery and not be afraid to shoot if he's within range.

He needs to cut inside more, hes always going out wide & he doesnt have the ability to do much with it from those positions.

I reckon he got used to being able to out pace the defenders in la liga & go around the outside before cutting in near the goal line. Here the defenders just stay up with him & he cannot do much. So he needs to just go inside from the off.

He needs to cut inside more, hes always going out wide & he doesnt have the ability to do much with it from those positions.

I reckon he got used to being able to out pace the defenders in la liga & go around the outside before cutting in near the goal line. Here the defenders just stay up with him & he cannot do much. So he needs to just go inside from the off.

He was doing it for fun in the few games he played pre-shoulder injury.

Honestly think he just needs a break and he'll be very, very good for us next year if we stay up and Shearer gets him and the rest playing to their potential.

If he cuts inside every time defenders will work him out pretty quickly if they haven't already. Wingers need to be able to keep the full backs guessing and Jonas needs to work on whipping the ball across earlier from wide positions. It's not the hardest skill to learn and he'll look a different player if he does it.

He'd be much better playing behind 2 strikers imo, a bit like the Owen role last season. He makes intelligent runs, can run at the defence making space for strikers, he can play decent through balls see Martins vs. Popey and he can still get back and defend. Him, Martins and Viduka as a front 3 next season would be class imo.

He'd be much better playing behind 2 strikers imo, a bit like the Owen role last season. He makes intelligent runs, can run at the defence making space for strikers, he can play decent through balls see Martins vs. Popey and he can still get back and defend. Him, Martins and Viduka as a front 3 next season would be class imo.

Any player who can't score goals should never be considered for such an advanced position.

More of this is down to confidence tbh and that goes the same to a few players like colo etc ,not defending them with the wages they are on etc but getting used to the english game is a lot harder for some players .For example Spiderman in a Manure or Arsenal team would imho not look out of place because he is playing with good players and that is where our problems lie.

fuck me, what a load of chelp about nothing

bit of one on one coaching and a modicum of attacking talent elsewhere in the team he'll settle down

we need to keep him on one side and sign a player with quality in the cross on the other, best formula in the game - wingers with contrasting styles

even for the 5m euro he's a bargain, anyone thinking he should leave is a clown

He's definitely worth another season. He needs to do a lot of work over the summer like. He should be out there every day for extra sessions on his crossing and shooting, and there would be no better man to show him how its done than Shearer.

He's definitely worth another season. He needs to do a lot of work over the summer like. He should be out there every day for extra sessions on his crossing and shooting, and there would be no better man to show him how its done than Shearer.

you can't coach him to cross for headers if it's not in his game, what he needs coaching into him is to get his head up and pick a pass once he's beat the first man

if he adds that to his game and we add some more movement to the midfield we'll be laughing

Any player who can't score goals should never be considered for such an advanced position.

He could though, we've just never seen him in that position enough. When he was running at the Boro players the other night and won us that free kick, he looked threatening. All i'm saying is give it a chance, it might work.

He could though, we've just never seen him in that position enough. When he was running at the Boro players the other night and won us that free kick, he looked threatening. All i'm saying is give it a chance, it might work.

for the first time in a long, long time i'm confident we have a manager who is fresh enough and strong enough to make the right call

i reckon shearer will keep spidey but he'll change his role in some unexpected way a la keegan and owen

Guest Stephen927

by the way, anyone remember discussing his goals record when he signed?  i.e. he scored 4 goals in his career or something and wore the mask each time

wonder if he's been carrying that mask all season :lol:

When he first signed he was asked if he would be bringing out the mask, and he said no it isn't worth risking a yellow card for. Maybe if he just stuffed it in his shorts for the crucial games like the derby or our next game against Fulham, just on the off chance he scores a crucial goal.

Guest neesy111

this guy is fucking shocking, can't cross, can't pass, can't do anything right on a football pitch

Guest LucaAltieri

He's Ji Sung Park's Argentine cousin.

Put him in a side like Man United and he's a good, solid, industrious player.

Put him in a Newcastle side and he doesn't have that bit of magic we need.