Rumours of yet more Keegan & Ashley talks to come...

Nicky

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

Publicity stunt by Keegan. Don't fall for it. Boo the fucker to death tomorrow.

Bullshit. Who has the most to gain from from tonights revelations?

Who do you think has lost the most from how its turned out?

The same person who had most to gain.

Precisely. So how can that be a criticism of him?

So how is it a publicity stunt by Keegan? And by the way I'd love to see you boo Keegan to death tomorrow at the ground.

Liam O - Mr Devil's Advocate. What value add...

To be fair, he's entitled to his own opinion just like everybody else.

I agree. I was merely highlighting my opinion in that he offers no value add :)

It would be a very boring debate if everyone had the same opinion.  Apologies for having my own all the same.

Publicity stunt by Keegan. Don't fall for it. Boo the fucker to death tomorrow.

Bullshit. Who has the most to gain from from tonights revelations?

Who do you think has lost the most from how its turned out?

The same person who had most to gain.

Precisely. So how can that be a criticism of him?

So how is it a publicity stunt by Keegan? And by the way I'd love to see you boo Keegan to death tomorrow at the ground.

I think Keegan knew he had nothing to lose and everything to gain today.

And obviously the second bit is just the rest of your post which I left there tbh.

can't see any logic whatsoever for the claim that it is a keegan publicity stunt, makes no sense at all, it's beyond belief that's being suggestion iyam. there's nothing he can gain from this. i dont think it was a publicity stunt by ashley either, though there would be something for him to gain in PR terms.

i also don't understand why either side would go to this meeting if removing wise and/or llambias wasn't on the menu. if the issues arent resolved then there's no chance keegan would return, on top of those issues you have the people who put out 'that' statement who would also have to go. this makes me think the meeting was more about the terms of his departure - but then, would ashley and keegan have to meet face to face for this?

I think there was a lot to be said for giving Keegan time to calm down tbh.

They can take all the time they want if it means getting the right man in.  I'd be amazed if they haven't started looking yet though. 

One thing you can say though from experience is they'll not let anything out of the bag until its well and truly sealed.  You can't criticise them for that way of doing things, having praised it in a thread you started yourself a few months ago.

Do you think Keegan is right going by everything which was said until last week, by that I mean is he right if they have recently changed how he works?

I'd imagine I think the same as you, I'm not sure what I believe any more.  If the goalposts have been moved since he signed his contract was agreed then that's clearly not right, but I'm not sure the club would put themselves in that position.

I also doubt we'll ever find out.

Don't suppose we'll ever know what went on there tonight. As some have pointed out Ashley must have been offering some compromises. Did he not offer enough - one would assume he was willing to go some way to putting things right, or did he meet with an intransigent Keegan.  :dontknow:

Guest northwestmag1892

It would be a very boring debate if everyone had the same opinion.  Apologies for having my own all the same.

If we all agreed it wouldn't even be a debate.

Yeah thanks Mick. It's the Dennis/Derek double-team.

I'd imagine I think the same as you, I'm not sure what I believe any more.  If the goalposts have been moved since he signed his contract was agreed then that's clearly not right, but I'm not sure the club would put themselves in that position.

I'd be arguing the same as you if it wasn't for the fact that everything which has been said until last week by everybody who would be in a position to know have said Keegan has the final say on everything to do with the first team, including transfers in and out.

They have now changed the story when it suits them which is very suspicious.

Guest Toon Saint

lads, my lass has just got back pi55ed, she is a fkin nympho, and i cant be bothered , im depressed, she pi55ed,and stinks of jack d. im being dragged to bed...say a prayer for me...

Get her to fall asleep on top of you & you'll know how she feels all the time. ;D

See that what you've done there - how do you reply with a quote and a proper smiley?  I've been trying for ages.

Easy. :coolsmiley:

I'd be arguing the same as you if it wasn't for the fact that everything which has been said until last week by everybody who would be in a position to know have said Keegan has the final say on everything to do with the first team, including transfers in and out.

They have now changed the story when it suits them which is very suspicious.

I agree, but Keegan has been part of that misinformation IMO.  I blame them all probably, but by being critical of Keegan in any way you get labelled as automatically pro Ashley.

Fair play to Ashley for trying.

I dont believe it could have worked long term anyways. Quite simply neither man was prepared to budge enough with their own "vision" of Newcastle's future. I dont think either should have to.

Some things arent meant to be.

Up to Ashley to start proving himself now though. If he believes his approach is better for the long term he has to back it up with big things.

I didnt want Keegan back last January and again this morning I would have said the same thing. However its on its hard to refuse the man.

Ive been at the point of not caring the past 7 days, more than anything else I just want us to get someone in so we can get back to normality.

I think we will be left waiting a while yet, looks like Ashley truly thought he could change KK's mind. I dont believe he has really given much thought to who HE wants to take over. Messrs wise et al obviously already have but I think after today its clear that Ashley definately listens to himself aswell as his cronies.

Fair play to Ashley for trying.

I dont believe it could have worked long term anyways. Quite simply neither man was prepared to budge enough with their own "vision" of Newcastle's future. I dont think either should have to.

Some things arent meant to be.

Up to Ashley to start proving himself now though. If he believes his approach is better for the long term he has to back it up with big things.

I didnt want Keegan back last January and again this morning I would have said the same thing. However its on its hard to refuse the man.

Ive been at the point of not caring the past 7 days, more than anything else I just want us to get someone in so we can get back to normality.

I think we will be left waiting a while yet, looks like Ashley truly thought he could change KK's mind. I dont believe he has really given much thought to who HE wants to take over. Messrs wise et al obviously already have but I think after today its clear that Ashley definately listens to himself aswell as his cronies.

Fair post. :thup:

Certainly agree with the bit in bold. I'm just disappointed that it'll obviously drag on even longer now.

I agree, but Keegan has been part of that misinformation IMO.  I blame them all probably, but by being critical of Keegan in any way you get labelled as automatically pro Ashley.

I know what you mean, I'm not pro any of them, just the football club.  The others will be judged on how I see the situation at the time.

The Times amongst others:

Latest twist in tangled plot descends into forlorn farce

George Caulkin

If, as has been reported this week, Mike Ashley truly has designs on building an empire in Hollywood, his spell at Newcastle United will have served as a decent rehearsal. No plotline would be too implausible, no cast-list too jarring, no finale too dramatic and if the finished product would lack cohesion, somehow — in spite of everything — it would make compulsive viewing.

Into the combustible mix of maverick billionaire owner, charismatic manager, a passionate support and decades of yearning, has been thrust what would surely be the mother of all sequels. If, of course, the pitch is right.

Kevin Keegan IV: this time it’s personal. While an extraordinary prospect appears less certain this morning, if Keegan were to return to Tyneside after the events of the past fortnight, after the briefings and counter-briefings, the threats to sue, the tears and anger, nothing in the game could be held sacred or secure. But then this is an extraordinary club, populated by unconventional people, located in a febrile city.

While last night’s meeting between Ashley and Keegan broke up without a satisfactory conclusion — one senior figure in the club’s hierarchy maintained that the discussion was aimed at settling the dispute over Keegan’s contract, in spite of the curious public forum — Newcastle has again been electrified. With protests planned for today’s home match against Hull City, perhaps Ashley will have succeeded in subtly altering the mood.

It was only nine days ago that Keegan said: “It’s my opinion that a manager must have the right to manage and that clubs should not impose upon any manager any player that he does not want.” The inference was obvious: Dennis Wise, the club’s executive director (football), was buying and selling players. On transfer deadline day, Michael Owen and Joey Barton were made available.

It was that, coupled with the failure to reinvest on experienced players the £12 million that Newcastle brought in from the sale of James Milner, which pushed Keegan to the precipice. Ashley and Wise were the villains of the episode and fans were propelled towards mutiny, but little at a club famed for its monochrome stripes is black and white. The main protagonists are hardly mundane.

For those students of Newcastle history, there are parallels. In March 1992, shortly after his first return to Gallowgate, Keegan walked out, remarking that the “job hadn’t turned out as the brochure had advertised”. At his home in Hampshire, he took a call from Sir John Hall, then Newcastle’s chairman. “There are only two people who can save Newcastle United Football Club,” Hall said. “And we are talking on the telephone.”

Did Ashley reach a similar conclusion as he surveyed the wreckage of his tenure at Newcastle? As he confronted the reality of a fan boycott of club merchandise and his Sports Direct outlets? As a man who has regularly worn his replica strip in away ends and stumped up for drinks in quayside nightclubs? As he imagined the sound of heated demonstrations outside the main reception of the ground?

One of the more intriguing elements of Newcastle’s latest descent into self-laceration has been how trivial the club’s search for a new manager has appeared. The issues have been Ashley’s ownership and Wise’s influence. A shortlist of candidates that featured Gus Poyet, Paul Ince and Didier Deschamps, all close associates of Wise and therefore tainted, fooled no one.

Given that Ashley has consistently denied reports that he would contemplate selling Newcastle — Anil Ambani, the Indian billionaire, called a halt yesterday to his attempts to purchase the club — he has had to confront the absolute necessity and near impossibility of winning back trust. Keegan would not guarantee it, but would serve as a balm to open wounds.

That talks took place at all suggests that Ashley, for all the distasteful elements of his regime, from a crass lack of communication, the failings in the transfer market and the disgraceful attempts to rubbish Keegan’s reputation, has stumbled upon recognition. The impasse that resulted confirms that, for all their willingness to contemplate the unthinkable, he and Keegan are stubborn men.

Wise and the existence of an acquisition department, headed by a de facto director of football, has always been the cause of most disagreement; it seems unreasonable to suppose that the dispute has moved on. Ashley is wedded to a model that will bring younger, hungrier (and therefore cheaper) players to Newcastle; Keegan does not operate well under restraint. He is a blue-skies manager.