Shearer sacked as club ambassador? NUFC say not...

k2

It is not known if Shearer's Bar, which was boycotted by the vast majority of fans on Saturday who would normally fill it, will undergo a name change.

:lol:

That's just the Mail taking the piss. :laugh:

The Mail probably got the whole sacking story from here anyway.

I vote we change "Shearer's" to "Xisco's"

Shearer has done fuck all for us since he left to deserve to still be on the payroll.

Better off dead then mate eh ?

I havent a clue what he has done in that role since he left so you might well be right. Just cant see why you cant word things in a more respectful way.

Or are you just vying for attention ?

It is not known if Shearer's Bar, which was boycotted by the vast majority of fans on Saturday who would normally fill it, will undergo a name change.

"Shola's" tbh. Minimise new letters required. :pow:

"Shola's" tbh. Minimise new letters required. :pow:

The only bar in the world where the drunks are recognised for showing respect when they fall over.

So both KK and Shearer? wow :lol:

Anyway i think its a bit unfair that he was getting payed for doing nothing, "club ambassador" is just a role given to him due to his legendery status here, if he was actually getting payed for it then its a piss-take surley..Shearer is one of my heros but getting payed for doing fuck all isn't fair espically considring our huge wage budget.

Former Newcastle United captain Alan Shearer has been appointed the Premier League club's sporting ambassador.

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd announced the role for the recently retired 35-year-old who has been tipped as a future manager at St James' Park.

"I'm going to make Alan's position quite clear - he's a sporting ambassador," Shepherd told a media conference to announce Glenn Roeder's appointment as the club's new manager.

Newcastle-born Shearer assisted Roeder when he moved into the manager's office on an interim basis following the dismissal of Graeme Souness in February.

"Alan Shearer is a great influence around the place, not just on the pitch but off it as well," Roeder said.

"While Alan will be doing a lot of travelling next year with his endorsements, when he is at home in Newcastle he will be around the club, he'll be in the staff room and around the changing room.

"Nobody will be insecure about it. He's a living legend in the eyes of the people up here and I would not want it any other way."

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/454218/715309

Sounds like an official role to me rather than like the title given to Sir John Hall when Ashley bought the club.

Shearer has done fuck all for us since he left to deserve to still be on the payroll.

What's to say he was on the payroll? I doubt it. Seemed more like making his "Mr Newcastle" persona, that everyone knew about anyway, more official.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article4754283.ece

From The Times

September 15, 2008

Alan Shearer caught up in Mike Ashley's war

Newcastle relieve their record goalscorer Alan Shearer of ambassadorial duties while the owner heads for the way outGeorge Caulkin

With Mike Ashley serving notice of his intention to sell Newcastle United last night - telling protesting supporters “I have listened to you,” — the scale of his regime's descent into acrimony became apparent when it emerged that Alan Shearer had been stripped of his ambassadorial role at St James' Park. After Kevin Keegan's recent resignation, another Tyneside legend has officially been ousted from the club.

It is understood that members of Newcastle's hierarchy were in Dubai yesterday, seeking buyers for a club that has imploded since the closure of the transfer window on September 1. Officials have made overtures to a reluctant Amanda Staveley, who was instrumental in the recent takeover of Manchester City and is fronting the Dubai bid for Liverpool, but have not had any contact.

While the prospect of the Newcastle owner and his acolytes leaving will prompt jubilation among most fans, it is not yet a certainty. “It won't happen overnight and it may not happen at all if a buyer does not come in,” the billionaire gave warning. Last week, Anil Ambani, the Indian businessman, withdrew from attempts to purchase Newcastle “because of the turbulent conditions which currently exist there”.

In an extraordinary 1,644-word statement released to the club's website, Ashley issued an emotional defence of his 16-month stewardship, claiming that the club “might not have survived” without his £244 million investment, £110 million of which, he said, was to reduce, if not clear debts. To his many critics, the era of Geordie glasnost began far too late.

Related Links

Ashley mucked it up, plain and simple

Hull add to Newcastle United's woes

Latest twist in plot descends into farce

Ashley did not attend the 2-1 defeat at home by Hull City, which featured noisy demonstrations against him and Dennis Wise, the executive director (football). “I have really loved taking my kids to the games, being next to them and all the fans,” he said. “But I am now a dad who can't take his kids to a football game on a Saturday because I am advised that we would be assaulted. Therefore, I am no longer prepared to subsidise Newcastle United.”

Yet Ashley's passionate justification of Wise's role — “Dennis and his team have done a first-class job in scouting for talent to secure the future of the club,” he said — is undermined by the paucity of Newcastle's squad, from which Habib Beye will be missing for ten weeks with an Achilles tendon injury. Nor will his popularity be assisted by his treatment of Shearer.

While Shearer's role as Newcastle's sporting ambassador — he was appointed in May 2006 — was largely honorary, it was also symbolically significant. Whether Ashley sanctioned the move is unclear, but when the club's record goalscorer described the management structure on Gallowgate as “dangerous” on television, the response was one of fury.

John Beresford, a popular player during Keegan's first spell in the dugout, has also been relieved of his corporate hospitality match-day role after comments in the local media. Ashley made a desperate attempt to woo Keegan back to the club during discussions in Central London on Friday night, but his credibility among supporters is tarnished.

Ashley insisted that his motivation for buying Newcastle was not financial, but intimated that he is seeking a profit. “I hope that the next owner is someone who can lavish the amount of money that the fans want,” he said. “This will not be a fire sale. Newcastle is in a much stronger position than it was in 2007. It is planning for the future and it is sustainable.”

Former Newcastle United captain Alan Shearer has been appointed the Premier League club's sporting ambassador.

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd announced the role for the recently retired 35-year-old who has been tipped as a future manager at St James' Park.

"I'm going to make Alan's position quite clear - he's a sporting ambassador," Shepherd told a media conference to announce Glenn Roeder's appointment as the club's new manager.

Newcastle-born Shearer assisted Roeder when he moved into the manager's office on an interim basis following the dismissal of Graeme Souness in February.

"Alan Shearer is a great influence around the place, not just on the pitch but off it as well," Roeder said.

"While Alan will be doing a lot of travelling next year with his endorsements, when he is at home in Newcastle he will be around the club, he'll be in the staff room and around the changing room.

"Nobody will be insecure about it. He's a living legend in the eyes of the people up here and I would not want it any other way."

Sounds like an official role to me rather than like the title given to Sir John Hall when Ashley bought the club.

What has he been doing then to justify that role? Looked like he was getting the boot into his former club on MOTD last week. I don't blame them if they don't want to continue paying him for that.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article4754283.ece

From The Times

September 15, 2008

Alan Shearer caught up in Mike Ashley's war

Newcastle relieve their record goalscorer Alan Shearer of ambassadorial duties while the owner heads for the way outGeorge Caulkin

With Mike Ashley serving notice of his intention to sell Newcastle United last night - telling protesting supporters “I have listened to you,” — the scale of his regime's descent into acrimony became apparent when it emerged that Alan Shearer had been stripped of his ambassadorial role at St James' Park. After Kevin Keegan's recent resignation, another Tyneside legend has officially been ousted from the club.

It is understood that members of Newcastle's hierarchy were in Dubai yesterday, seeking buyers for a club that has imploded since the closure of the transfer window on September 1. Officials have made overtures to a reluctant Amanda Staveley, who was instrumental in the recent takeover of Manchester City and is fronting the Dubai bid for Liverpool, but have not had any contact.

While the prospect of the Newcastle owner and his acolytes leaving will prompt jubilation among most fans, it is not yet a certainty. “It won't happen overnight and it may not happen at all if a buyer does not come in,” the billionaire gave warning. Last week, Anil Ambani, the Indian businessman, withdrew from attempts to purchase Newcastle “because of the turbulent conditions which currently exist there”.

In an extraordinary 1,644-word statement released to the club's website, Ashley issued an emotional defence of his 16-month stewardship, claiming that the club “might not have survived” without his £244 million investment, £110 million of which, he said, was to reduce, if not clear debts. To his many critics, the era of Geordie glasnost began far too late.

Related Links

Ashley mucked it up, plain and simple

Hull add to Newcastle United's woes

Latest twist in plot descends into farce

Ashley did not attend the 2-1 defeat at home by Hull City, which featured noisy demonstrations against him and Dennis Wise, the executive director (football). “I have really loved taking my kids to the games, being next to them and all the fans,” he said. “But I am now a dad who can't take his kids to a football game on a Saturday because I am advised that we would be assaulted. Therefore, I am no longer prepared to subsidise Newcastle United.”

Yet Ashley's passionate justification of Wise's role — “Dennis and his team have done a first-class job in scouting for talent to secure the future of the club,” he said — is undermined by the paucity of Newcastle's squad, from which Habib Beye will be missing for ten weeks with an Achilles tendon injury. Nor will his popularity be assisted by his treatment of Shearer.

While Shearer's role as Newcastle's sporting ambassador — he was appointed in May 2006 — was largely honorary, it was also symbolically significant. Whether Ashley sanctioned the move is unclear, but when the club's record goalscorer described the management structure on Gallowgate as “dangerous” on television, the response was one of fury.

John Beresford, a popular player during Keegan's first spell in the dugout, has also been relieved of his corporate hospitality match-day role after comments in the local media. Ashley made a desperate attempt to woo Keegan back to the club during discussions in Central London on Friday night, but his credibility among supporters is tarnished.

Ashley insisted that his motivation for buying Newcastle was not financial, but intimated that he is seeking a profit. “I hope that the next owner is someone who can lavish the amount of money that the fans want,” he said. “This will not be a fire sale. Newcastle is in a much stronger position than it was in 2007. It is planning for the future and it is sustainable.”

What has he been doing then to justify that role? Looked like he was getting the boot into his former club on MOTD last week. I don't blame them if they don't want to continue paying him for that.

He hasn't done anything as he spent the majority of Roeder's time here travelling around for Umbro, if Shepherd had still been here he would have been more involved in my opinion.