Sat 20 - 15:00 West Ham Utd (a) Pre Match Thread

Skirge

If Martins plays, we'll win. If not, we won't.

Another case of a players ability escalating because they haven't played for a while syndrome.

My point was that he actually likes playing at Upton Park. 2 in 2 and played well in both games. Will try to be clearer next time, mate. :)

I'd go:

---------------Given

Beye---Taylor---Coloccini---Zog

-------Geremi-----Smith----Nacho------

------------------Owen-----------

----------Xisco-----Oba---------

Yes, I know, Smith. But we're down to the bear bones and i really don't want Butt in there. That looks quite strong imo. Obviously hoping Oba will be fit.

Smith? And you're the one who accused me of escalating a player's ability because of his absence? :razz: :lol:

Hahaha, I KNEW you'd say that. :razz: Tbf I think that decision was just a kneejerk to how shit Butt was yesterday, I'll come to my senses in a few days.

Guest Stephen927

Don't like the prospect of playing a team with a new manager, no clue how they'll play... though I suppose that could be negated if we were to appoint a new manager.

Guest Gallowgate Mag

Hughton saying Martins and Duff are the only two with a chance of making it:

Given

Taylor Coloccini Cacapa Bassong

Geremi Gonzalez Butt N'Zogbia

Owen  Xisco

Harper

Edgar

Duff

Martins

Ameobi

+ 2 others

I'd go:

Given

Geremi

Cacapa

Taylor

Bassong

Gonzales

Butt

Coloccini

N'Zogbia

Owen

Xisco

The defence looks very fragile, but I think if we can have someone like Taylor doing a man marking job on Ashton it scuppers one of their attacking pivots. The strength in the centre of midfielder should be enough to overcome the creativity of Faubert and Co. That's providing the gap between Butt, Coloccini and the back four doesn't become too great. You'd need one of those two (Colo and Butt) to sit in front of the back four and one to play defensively further up the park.

If we can stay solid at the back and retain posession in midfield West Ham are there to be had. If we can then get the ball wide to Gonzales or N'Zogbia and have a run at their fragile defence I think we can create chances for the forwards. It's too early for Gonzales to be playing in the centre of the park away from in my opinion, we don't know enough about him and his capabilities.

Now I'm not naive enough to think: "ah we'll go with this system and it'll all run like clock work" because there are some massive factors to consider. One of the reasons I'd go with two defensive midfielders is because of the situation at West Ham. It's Zola's first game, their lot will really want to get out the traps and prove themselves. The crowd will be behind them and if we can do a stifling job they may just start to get a bit frustrated and hopefully that will allow us to create some chances of our own.

Now the most important factor here is the attitude of Newcastle United. Are the players going to come out like they did against Hull? Yes, we're on a big low but it'd about time these players stood up for themselves and proved they're worth what we're paying them. I know it will be hard to muster team spirit in these difficult times, but these lads are professionals. They need to take a long look at themselves in the mirror and produce bit of fight during times of adversity, they need to show us the fans that our season isn't over. Similarly the fans need to get behind the lads. The atmophere at West Ham is going to be electric so we need to put in a good shift too. No more protesting, the board have got your message, the lads need a lift and we need to provide it.

Whatever tactics you want to employ this match at West Ham is there to be won but it depends on us. No more feeling sorry for ourselves and no more revolting, lets have some togetherness. This is going to be tough given the circumstance, the last thing we want is for this to be another Hull, lets go down to London and show a bit of pride and dignity for a change, lets go there UNITED.

Guest toonlass

Given

Owen  Xisco

I am going to be optimistic, and say 2-1 to us, Owen and Xisco to score for us.

Given

Owen  Xisco

I am going to be optimistic, and say 2-1 to us, Owen and Xisco to score for us.

yes, this looks our best 11 for me

Guest Gallowgate Mag

does anyone know if i'll be able to make the 18:22 train home from Kings Cross or should I book later?

it may take an hour and a half to get to King's Cross from Upton so book later if you want to be safe

Cheers mate.

does anyone know if i'll be able to make the 18:22 train home from Kings Cross or should I book later?

it may take an hour and a half to get to King's Cross from Upton so book later if you want to be safe

Cheers mate.

nee bother. Get yasel a drink or snack after the game because the lines for the Upton tube station are usually ridiculous