UEFA Cup 08/09

Syrette

It's a pity, though, that Brann didn't have one single legitimate striker playing today. They could easily have scored two or three goals more.

Sounds unreal, but: Deportivo was lucky.... bluelaugh.gif

I'm a Rosenborg-supporter, but I was happy on behalf of Brann tonight. Great performance  :clap:

And so far it seems Rosenborg does their job OK in Denmark too  :celb:

Wasn't the guy who scored Brann's 2nd on trial with us earlier this season?

On a side note, its pretty cool having 5 english teams in the UEFA this year, makes it alot  more intresting to watch even if its not us.

Nah, unless of course you are thinking of the one who scored Rosenborg's second and just mixed up Brann and Rosenborg, because that was that Per Ciljan Skjelbred bloke we were linked with the entire summer.

For anyone who saw the Everton game... just a few thoughts I posted on another forum. Opinions welcome.

It's a shock to the system really, the one thing in the past 24 months I've been used to is relatively solid defending from the backline and last night couldn't have been further from the truth.

Like most of our games, the most worrying aspect was not just the goals conceded which were both horiffic defending/communication, but the manner of their attacks. Every attack, they looked like scoring. Is it the defence turning into a shower of shite, or is it the lack of real protection from a new-look central midfield? I'm not sure personally, but please sort it out DM!

Whilst the 2nd goal was obviously a breakdown in communication, I'm more concerned about the 1st. Lescott was at fault yes, but the ball was an excellent one. My beef is with the 3 other defenders, none of which had the basic intelligence to spot the man sprinting towards where the ball was obviously going to go. Now that's concerning.

I feel sorry for Arteta sometimes. Whilst he's obviously technically superior to the rest of the squad, I'm unsure what's hard about passing the ball 10 yards, that stumps Osman, Jagielka etc. Simple things like giving people options, and playing quick simple passes, were not on show last night. Nothing particularly amazing required, just some intelligence and movement.

With regards to the second leg, we're certainly not in a good position however, I fear the day that Everton Football Club would find a trip to (with all due respect) Standard Liege daunting. They're a decent side yes, but IMO we made them look better than they were due to our, at times, non-existent defending.

With the defence of last year, I'd fancy our chances of going over there and doing the business. And the way things are going, don't rule out a 3-3 draw!

For anyone who saw the Everton game... just a few thoughts I posted on another forum. Opinions welcome.

It's a shock to the system really, the one thing in the past 24 months I've been used to is relatively solid defending from the backline and last night couldn't have been further from the truth.

Like most of our games, the most worrying aspect was not just the goals conceded which were both horiffic defending/communication, but the manner of their attacks. Every attack, they looked like scoring. Is it the defence turning into a shower of s****, or is it the lack of real protection from a new-look central midfield? I'm not sure personally, but please sort it out DM!

Whilst the 2nd goal was obviously a breakdown in communication, I'm more concerned about the 1st. Lescott was at fault yes, but the ball was an excellent one. My beef is with the 3 other defenders, none of which had the basic intelligence to spot the man sprinting towards where the ball was obviously going to go. Now that's concerning.

I feel sorry for Arteta sometimes. Whilst he's obviously technically superior to the rest of the squad, I'm unsure what's hard about passing the ball 10 yards, that stumps Osman, Jagielka etc. Simple things like giving people options, and playing quick simple passes, were not on show last night. Nothing particularly amazing required, just some intelligence and movement.

With regards to the second leg, we're certainly not in a good position however, I fear the day that Everton Football Club would find a trip to (with all due respect) Standard Liege daunting. They're a decent side yes, but IMO we made them look better than they were due to our, at times, non-existent defending.

With the defence of last year, I'd fancy our chances of going over there and doing the business. And the way things are going, don't rule out a 3-3 draw!

Don't agree with you singling out Ossie for passing, he is one of our best for technical ability. Worth bearing in mind that he wasn't even fit last night and was left on for the full 90. Same with Cahill who was also below par.

We can definitely go there and beat them. We had the better of the play, created more chances and scored two good goals rather than two that were gifted by daft mistakes.

If we can get the defence back to the way it was last season then we are through. I'm not holding my breath though on the defence suddenly clicking though!

Like most of our games, the most worrying aspect was not just the goals conceded which were both horiffic defending/communication, but the manner of their attacks. Every attack, they looked like scoring. Is it the defence turning into a shower of s****, or is it the lack of real protection from a new-look central midfield? I'm not sure personally, but please sort it out DM!

Don't agree with you singling out Ossie for passing, he is one of our best for technical ability. Worth bearing in mind that he wasn't even fit last night and was left on for the full 90. Same with Cahill who was also below par.

We can definitely go there and beat them. We had the better of the play, created more chances and scored two good goals rather than two that were gifted by daft mistakes.

If we can get the defence back to the way it was last season then we are through. I'm not holding my breath though on the defence suddenly clicking though!

Obviously you'll want your team to go through but do you think that going out may help your league form, not sure that your have the depth in your squadd to cope with a long uefa cup campaign.

afar- I'd much rather go through mate. The squad is roughly the same size as last year and we coped ok then.

Being in Europe is great, it's not something I've got to experience much in the past so I don't want us to go out at the first hurdle and have to wait a year or two to have another crack at it.

afar- I'd much rather go through mate. The squad is roughly the same size as last year and we coped ok then.

Being in Europe is great, it's not something I've got to experience much in the past so I don't want us to go out at the first hurdle and have to wait a year or two to have another crack at it.

True, the only people who talk about European football having a negative impact on league form are those who aren't in it themselves, ie, us :(

Guest timmy boy

Yeah I agree, even when you play the shit teams from the eastern block or some other no name team in the waffa cup you still get a buzz about the games, our run in 03/04 was class.It's a shame we seem a million miles away from it now never mind the champions league.

It's a pity, though, that Brann didn't have one single legitimate striker playing today. They could easily have scored two or three goals more.

Sounds unreal, but: Deportivo was lucky.... bluelaugh.gif

I'm a Rosenborg-supporter, but I was happy on behalf of Brann tonight. Great performance  :clap:

And so far it seems Rosenborg does their job OK in Denmark too  :celb:

Wasn't the guy who scored Brann's 2nd on trial with us earlier this season?

On a side note, its pretty cool having 5 english teams in the UEFA this year, makes it alot  more intresting to watch even if its not us.

Nah, unless of course you are thinking of the one who scored Rosenborg's second and just mixed up Brann and Rosenborg, because that was that Per Ciljan Skjelbred bloke we were linked with the entire summer.

Actually i confused him with Aleksander Solli who we had here pre-season..thanks  anyway :)

• 2 weeks later...

Solid afternoon/evening of football on TV today by the way. Everton up next on Five, followed by Man City on ITV4, and then Pompey on Five which will finish sometime after 11 (doesn't even kick off till half 9).