Would you take 17th place right now ?

afar
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest stjamestoon

Already, one-sixth of the League programme has been played - NUFC has 4 points..

There is little chance of major improvement before Christmas as Enrique has hamstring problem and that can take up to 6-8 weeks to put right(Beardsley was out for 8 weeks with one back in 86) ; LB is a major problem area, midfield is pedestrian and non-creative and Central defence is shaky because Taylor is NOT proving to have developed any further this season ; up front, only Owen looks like scoring on anything like a regular basis and Martins is out for 6 weeks.....

Add it all up, PLUS Hull looking unlikely to blow up soon(bad teams do NOT beat Arsenal at the Emirates - when did NUFC manage it..??), and as has been said, Stoke look to be NUFC's target, NOT Everton, Villa etc.

Even after a takeover, it will take time to sort this lot out and despite everyone waxing lyrical over Jonas, he has never looked like scoring, and, as far as I can remember, only really created one clear-cut scoring chance for forwards by his crossing - he carries the ball well and defends well(for an attacking midfielder),but the side needs goals from midfield as well as up front and NONE of the midfielders look like scoring..

Yes, as I have said before, I would take 17th place YESTERDAY,and I reckon most fans will be saying the same by end of October...This side has relegation written all over it.

I agree..hate to say it..but i feel people just think we are better than we are. These so called shit teams are all improving, and this year there isnt a derby in the league. The new teams are playing well, and grinding out results, they all have players who want to do well, want to win and have a great team morale, with a manager with full backing.

We have a squad full of ex top side players, who couldn't care less, certain players want out for a fact (Martins N'Zogbia, Owen, our best players) The ones like Taylor etc who care about club obviously aint really up to job...No manager...No owner..stability, and fans dwindling...really worrying.

Even if we got bought out tomorrow, and KK re-instated, still going to take a while to get some belief and stability back. This has really rocked squad. We have a really small squad as it is, without the terrible bans, injuries.

I hate to be a pessimist, but i really think i am being a realist with this post. Really really depressing for a newcastle fan at the moment.

If we're in the bottom 3 at the end of the season we'll deserve to go down. Simple as.

I don't think we're one of the weakest teams in the League but that counts for fuck all. Once we get a bit of stability on and off the park I think we'll get enough points to stay up.

It really shouldn't even be an issue though. :neutral:

At the minute, we are the "Derby" in the league  :weep:

Roll on the Newcastle games, we need a boost!

You know that's what they are all thinking.

That comment is very true, we are incredibly such a soft touch now. Even through our last few years of nothingness we've maintained a strongish home record, a lot of teams were pretty defesive when it came to playing us at St James and would galdly take a point away. Now it's like turn up and you'll beat Newcastle.

This club is in intensive care atm, touch and go whether it'll pull through, I'm not so sure there is a miracle cure out there.

What does that make Spurs?

I think Spurs are a tougher win for most clubs, we practically give the points away, the recent cup game showed that both teams were bad but we just edged it for the crappy team challenge.

Their problems are much easily solved than ours too IMO, sack Ramos bring in someone who has a clue and they'll be fine. Unfortunately our problems are a lot deeper than just the managerial position.

I think Spurs are a tougher win for most clubs, we practically give the points away, the recent cup game showed that both teams were bad but we just edged it for the crappy team challenge.

Their problems are much easily solved than ours too IMO, sack Ramos bring in someone who has a clue and they'll be fine. Unfortunately our problems are a lot deeper than just the managerial position.

i'm clinging on to beye,enrique,gutierrez,martins coming back. even guthrie,barton and viduka.

i honestly think with 3 of those playing we'd have beat hull and blackburn.

Guest newcastle4life

It would mean no relagation and the chance to rebuild for next season but the team should do better and still plenty of time for that to happen if things get sorted. If they dont and it carries on in a couple of months probably say yes but hope that doesnt happen.

i'm clinging on to beye,enrique,gutierrez,martins coming back. even guthrie,barton and viduka.

let me see now........the old board raised standards so people like you harped on and whinged when we didn't qualify for europe........now they have gone you are settling for just staying up with a minute squad of players and you are making excuses ?

You couldn't make it up.

let me see now........the old board raised standards so people like you harped on and whinged when we didn't qualify for europe........now they have gone you are settling for just staying up with a minute squad of players and you are making excuses ?

You couldn't make it up.

the standards they raised were exactly the standards we had no chance of aspiring by the time they eventually left. were you in a coma 2004 to 2007 ?

You couldn't make it up.

the standards they raised were exactly the standards we had no chance of aspiring by the time they eventually left. were you in a coma 2004 to 2007 ?

qualified for europe only once in 3 years.

Diddums.

Worrying to see teams like West Brom, Hull and Wigan picking up points on a regular basis, last season there were about 4 or 5 teams who were going all out for the drop, which settled the nerves even during really poor spells of form.

how many games have we played? and with an injury list the size of sj james park what do you expect!! how do you think the likes of villa, city,blackburn,everton,boro,hull,mackems,west brom,spuds,west ham would do without the same number and quality of player we have out, both full backs 2 starting strikers our best central midfield and our best winger oh and if we had beaton everton we would have been 12th and none of this would even been talked about

how many games have we played? and with an injury list the size of sj james park what do you expect!! how do you think the likes of villa, city,blackburn,everton,boro,hull,mackems,west brom,spuds,west ham would do without the same number and quality of player we have out, both full backs 2 starting strikers our best central midfield and our best winger oh and if we had beaton everton we would have been 12th and none of this would even been talked about

The fact we lost points while we had injury problems will be little comfort if we end up firmly in a relegation scrap, we'll never know how we would have done with a fully fit squad but that's neither here nor there really  - we've still dropped the points. 

Also, have you just written us off against Everton already?

The fact we lost points while we had injury problems will be little comfort if we end up firmly in a relegation scrap, we'll never know how we would have done with a fully fit squad but that's neither here nor there really  - we've still dropped the points. 

Also, have you just written us off against Everton already?

oops no infact i think we will get a result i only said them as we would have been level on points with them

You couldn't make it up.

qualified for europe only once in 3 years.

Diddums.

nillwall qualified for europe so they must've been great back then eh ?

You couldn't make it up.

were your expectations lowered between 2004-2007 ? mine were. i was expecting a champls lge push in 2004,by 2007 i was looking at safety first and hopefully sneak an intertoto place and the expectations were getting lower each year. all was hunky dory to you i expect ?

17th. Initially I would be ecstatic. We would have just about survived another year of top flight football.

However, f***ing hell, 17th man...christ. I would be completely irritated and annoyed by finishing that low...we're Newcastle United, we should eb aspiring to be finishing above at least about 8 teams in this league.

That's why I said no. No can be the only logical answer.

not a chance would i take 17th. this thread will be bumped when we get our key players back and everyone will look stupid bluelaugh.gif

Not particuarily because if you read the question the thread poses, it says would you take 17th right now. All I wanted to do was to see what people thought our ambition for the season should be during this crisis. For me that was and still is survival, we for sure can't be expecting a challenge for Europe or even mid tible at this point in time.

So to conclude I don't think anyone that posted that they would take 17th would look stupid if things start to turn around and at this moment in time IF is an extremely big word.