West Ham United 3 - 1 Newcastle - 20/09/08 - post match reaction from page 19

Dave

"We lacked players in 1 or 2 positions (most would have agreed with this before KK left.....including you when were both defending the transfers). Rebuilding the squad is clearly gonna take more than one transfer window unless you leave in fantasy football world. We'be been unlucky with injuries to Jonas, Martins and Enrique and Guthrie's stupidity but I suppose you're gonna blame that all on Ashley for not having the foresight to predict the injuries and suspension.....you're getting ridiculous man."

The squad didn't need rebuilding. We needed 3 or 4 top class players and some squad players. Now the squad players are essential first teamers and the top class players (like Coloccini) have been hamstrung by keeping clowns like Taylor in the first team while selling off players like Faye. We are weak as piss and the people who were telling us that the manager doesn't matter and all that mattered was the transfer policy are going to get a hell of a shock.

Bad team selection, bad performance, bad result. With about 13 players (excluding Shola) who could be considered, Hughton somehow managed to get it wrong. Gonzalez was carrying an injury supposedly so I can appreciate his exclusion by what the hell Bassong must do in training to get left out of that 11 is beyond me. N'Zogbia must be as sick as fuck of playing out of position and fucking Cacapa in his position. Christ. Huge game on Wednesday now, could really complete the set by going out of a cup.

"Yeah don't you know if it was KK in full control, we would have a squad worthy of the Champions League right down to every player"

No we just wouldn't be getting beat off Hull City at home or making West Ham look like Arsenal. Stick with your straw man though if it makes you think that Little Den has put a good squad together.

We lacked players in 1 or 2 positions (most would have agreed with this before KK left.....including you when were both defending the transfers). Rebuilding the squad is clearly gonna take more than one transfer window unless you leave in fantasy football world. We'be been unlucky with injuries to Jonas, Martins and Enrique and Guthrie's stupidity but I suppose you're gonna blame that all on Ashley for not having the foresight to predict the injuries and suspension.....you're getting ridiculous man.

At the end of last season we had one left back and one right back. One is pretty inexperienced and the other is pretty old.

Recognising the need to sign cover/competition for them both required no skill.

I know Dave, I agree with you which is why I said we lacked players in 1 or 2 positions. I believe Bassong is our LB cover and Taylor could play RB if needed. But for Wullie to say that only 4 of the players are worthy of the Premiership is silly and to insinuate that it is somehow Ashley's fault that we have only those 4 Premiership players makes it just plain ridiculous 

"We lacked players in 1 or 2 positions (most would have agreed with this before KK left.....including you when were both defending the transfers). Rebuilding the squad is clearly gonna take more than one transfer window unless you leave in fantasy football world. We'be been unlucky with injuries to Jonas, Martins and Enrique and Guthrie's stupidity but I suppose you're gonna blame that all on Ashley for not having the foresight to predict the injuries and suspension.....you're getting ridiculous man."

The squad didn't need rebuilding. We needed 3 or 4 top class players and some squad players. Now the squad players are essential first teamers and the top class players (like Coloccini) have been hamstrung by keeping clowns like Taylor in the first team while selling off players like Faye. We are weak as piss and the people who were telling us that the manager doesn't matter and all that mattered was the transfer policy are going to get a hell of a shock.

:thup: a scouting system won't manage your first team for you (or even get you the signings you need fwiw).

Bad team selection, bad performance, bad result. With about 13 players (excluding Shola) who could be considered, Hughton somehow managed to get it wrong. Gonzalez was carrying an injury supposedly so I can appreciate his exclusion by what the hell Bassong must do in training to get left out of that 11 is beyond me. N'Zogbia must be as sick as fuck of playing out of position and fucking Cacapa in his position. Christ. Huge game on Wednesday now, could really complete the set by going out of a cup.

Bassong looked pretty good when he came on, and we actually created a few real chances down the left with him and n'zogbia dovetailing. i havent seen a great deal of him but so far he looks different class to edgar.

I'll have to be physically restrained the next time someone tells me that Taylor is an adequate defender in this league. After a good start against Man U he's well and truly back to his horrific self

fucking average to shambolic defender, Faye is twice the player

"I know Dave, I agree with you which is why I said we lacked players in 1 or 2 positions. I believe Bassong is our LB cover and Taylor could play RB if needed. But for Wullie to say that only 4 of the players are worthy of the Premiership is silly and to insinuate that it is somehow Ashley's fault that we have only those 4 Premiership players makes it just plain ridiculous"

Ashley? No. The mates of his he brought in to decide transfer policy of a Premiership club? Yes.

Given, Colo, N'Zogbia, Owen, there's your four. Xisco's exempt (and I really feel for the lad). The rest are all, to varying degrees, not good enough.

I was at Upton Park in April watching Butt and Geremi plod around in midfield and pass the ball to claret shirts - if you'd told me they'd be starting in September, I'd have laughed at you. I trusted this mob and they've taken the piss.

"I know Dave, I agree with you which is why I said we lacked players in 1 or 2 positions. I believe Bassong is our LB cover and Taylor could play RB if needed. But for Wullie to say that only 4 of the players are worthy of the Premiership is silly and to insinuate that it is somehow Ashley's fault that we have only those 4 Premiership players makes it just plain ridiculous"

Ashley? No. The mates of his he brought in to decide transfer policy of a Premiership club? Yes.

Given, Colo, N'Zogbia, Owen, there's your four. Xisco's exempt (and I really feel for the lad). The rest are all, to varying degrees, not good enough.

I was at Upton Park in April watching Butt and Geremi plod around in midfield and pass the ball to claret shirts - if you'd told me they'd be starting in September, I'd have laughed at you. I trusted this mob and they've taken the piss.

Is Jonas not good enough?

I'd agree that we have too many creaking midfielders in the middle in fact I've started about 10 threads on it - but as far as I know we weren't really targeting a replacement for Butt, Keegan's main priority seemed to be a left back.

I'll have to be physically restrained the next time someone tells me that Taylor is an adequate defender in this league. After a good start against Man U he's well and truly back to his horrific self

f***ing average to shambolic defender, Faye is twice the player

Abdulaye Faye got Man of the match for Stokes draw at Anfield

I'd agree that we have too many creaking midfielders in the middle in fact I've started about 10 threads on it - but as far as I know we weren't really targeting a replacement for Butt, Keegan's main priority seemed to be a left back.

loads of people said we were after Inler who plays a similar game to Butt, and the portuguese media said we asked about Veloso but his club wanted too much.

why we didn't go out and get a replacement for Faye is beyond me, absolutely ridiculous

Hear hear. Selling him was sheer stupidity. Not only is he miles better than Taylor but he's also a much more able holding midfielder than Butt.

why we didn't go out and get a replacement for Faye is beyond me, absolutely ridiculous

Hear hear. Selling him was sheer stupidity. Not only is he miles better than Taylor but he's also a much more able holding midfielder than Butt.

I'm pretty sure he was sold because he fell out with Keegan. Was that Dennis Wise's fault as well?

We are going down. The worst team we've ever had in the Premier League is bad enough but to top it off the 'coach' is captain clueless.

We need a proper manager, a good man manager to lift the team and fans but i can't think of anyone who would come and do that.

I'm pretty sure he was sold because he fell out with Keegan. Was that Dennis Wise's fault as well?

Where are the quotes to suggest he fell out with Keegan?

The only reason given was because he was homesick wasn't it?

It was discussed on here a while back, apparently he had a row and wasn't picked after that for the closing games of last season.

Guest rebel_yell12

Not entirely disagreeing with you Wullie, but I feel the need to point out that injuries aren't exactly the owner's (or anyone's) fault, really.  If all were fit/available, Newcastle have more than four Premiership quality players:  Given (and Harper, plenty of depth there at least), Beye, Colo, Jonas, Barton (rate him on the pitch, actually, but off...get rid), N'Zogbia, Martins, Viduka & Owen.  Some promising possibilities in Xisco, Bassong & Guthrie, even Taylor, who when settled last season looked fairly promising. A fully-fit Newcastle United squad would not much resemble what was on the pitch today, I'd like to think.  Put Jonas, Martins, Viduka, Beye and Enrique in the side...much better.  Is it possible, just possible, that injuries are as responsible for the current mess as is Keegan's departure?  If so, there is hope on the horizon: aside from Viduka, no one stays hurt forever.

In fact, the players the club HAS brought in have all been good signings, imo.  Bassong is a definite improvement on Carr.  I think Colo is an improvement on Faye (although why the f*** can't the club have both?).  I think Jonas is an improvement, just in general (but again, WHY not have both Milner and Jonas?).  I think Xisco, and Gonzalez, could be quite solid signings, especially if Xisco can help cover for Viduka's interminable injuries whilst learning a bit about how to play off him (and Owen, who managed to "train" Heskey quite admirably, imo).  My problem with the current board is not who they brought in.  The new boys all look good.  There just aren't enough of them to justify the sales of some of those who left (Faye & Milner primarily).  Faye, it seems, wished to leave.  But Milner?  Newcastle needed to spend a bit more money and fetch a few more players.  One new center-mid, with experience, to play for Butt.  One new center-mid to get rid of Barton.  Proper cover for Beye/Enrique (I think Bassong does admirably, but I think another utility defense player would be quite useful).

one minute you're getting beaten 8-1 by boro, your owner has his assest frozen and the club is on the brink of going bust, the next....

keep the faith

The next...you've got a whole summer to sort it out and get a new manager and players. We haven't, we're stuck with one of the worst squads in the league and the pick of the worst managers until January. And then we could be in deep shit come the transfer window.