West Ham United 3 - 1 Newcastle - 20/09/08 - post match reaction from page 19

Dave

Guest KeithKettleborough

Taylor may be the new Shola. Someone who maybe started off promisingly but never progressed and eventually went backwards. Still lots of time yet (for Taylor that is) but I don't think I have ever seen a defender whose arms seem to get in the way or even try to stop the ball, as much as his does. He's a liability at the moment and surely he must impede the keepers sight when he's defending with his arms thrust out the way he does.

Guest Brewcastle

Coloccini was shocking today, yet another foreign mercenary.

Coloccini - and others - got better after the lose was "secured" . -It's a gang of afraid chickens at the moment  :-[

Just back from the match.

f***ing shambles. We could definately be flirting with relegation this year.

West Ham are pretty poor and we actually created enough chances to win.

Defending was diabolical, anyone giving Taylor grief wants to check out Colo, one of the

current "European scouting system" golden boys. Maybe he would look solid in a

competent, tried and tested, defence but he is as poor as anyone at the moment.

Duff is finished, as many of us already know, the last time he actually beat a player he was

wearing the blue of Chelsea. Totally shot to pieces.

N'zogbia, biggest footballing fraud on the pitch, an a coward to boot, I don't care if he

doesn't want to play left back. He is fully equipped to be able to play that role comfortably.

He's just not interested. Edgar at right back? Give me strength.

Xisco is well off the PL pace at the moment. Despite the midfield pairing of Cacapa and Butt we

actually didn't seem to have too many problems in the middle, a testement to how poor West Ham were, it

seemed to be down the wings we were exposed.

So much for the continental scouting system, we've been crying out for a left back, was it Wise et al who

were trying to sign Warnock? Seems more like a Keegan type buy to me. To actually strengthen in a position

we were weak.

Not meant to be an incisive footballing analysis. I was too angry/pissed by the second half. I'm still blaming

Ashley for putting us in this situation and believe that Keegan could at least keep this shower up.

Secondly, I blame the players, not enough heart, rolled over too easily. A lot of finger pointing/shirking of

responsibility after the first goal. All in all a  bag of s****.  :angry:

Yes, this about sums it all up ; West Ham were not a good side but they were made to look like one by the timid ball-surrendering midfield of NUFC : As Novocastrian says, Duff is finished and couldn't beat an egg, never mind an opposition defender - Chelsea definitely saw NUFC coming when they sold him to us for 5m..

Novo is also on the mark about N'Zogbia, and, as I said at the time of Milner's sale, I would rather NZ had gone instead because Milner at least gave 100%.

Taylor was simply awful, and there was no understanding between him and Coloccini, who also struggled.

The only moment of class from the side was when Owen brilliantly turned Neal and bent in his goal ; There is no doubt that Owen WILL get a decent club when he leaves in Jan or season's end because he is the only true Prem class player in the side at present.

Apart from a brief flurry after Owen's goal, NUFC were never in this match as serious contenders ; morale is obviously rock-bottom, team selection poor(but limited by size of squad and injuries)and there is only one way this side is going unless the club is sold and turned round quickly - and that is towards the Championship.

Further humiliations lie ahead - perhaps much worse - as long as the current set-up remains .

All the work that went into making the club into a force in the Prem in the 90s has been a total waste of time and everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves for bringing the club back to this level.

Just lacking a whole lot of confidence, however:

Given

Edgar - Taylor - Coloccini - N'Zogbia

Geremi - Butt - Cacapa - Duff

Owen - Xisco

Edgar, Cacapa and Duff wouldn't usually start, and in an ideal world N'Zogbia would be starting in the midfield.

Replace those 3 with Beye, Enrique/Bassong and Martins and it already looks a whole lot better.

Xisco showed some good signs, as did Bassong (what does he have to do to get a start). They weren't considerably better than us, and everything went against us. Bounces, decisions, deflections, mishits etc.

With Beye back next week, and possibly Martins, I'll wait til after a winnable game (I didn't seriously expect us to win today) at home against Blackburn to judge.

Bit harsh on Colo, apart from getting done for the goal, he had a pretty decent game. But for him and Taylor, they're practically covering 4 positions between them. Zoggy is usually somewhere else, so Colo has to pick up all the pieces with him. Edgar might as well not be there, so Tayls has to cover him, plus they've got their own positions to cover. Defending is about confidence, if you don't have the belief you'll make a mistake. With the current situation, its even worse, because the whole team is demoralised too. So i can sympathise with Colo a bit, he's obviously got a lot of pressure on him, so i can forgive his lack of concentration at times, plus he's trying to adjust, and its probably the hardest position to adjust to as well.

With the shambles of BR we got back 11.25 last night. Never mind, 2 poor teams, we can improve, not so sure how much better WH can get. We conceded 3 shocking goals, we simply have no chance defence wise if we have to play Zog and Edgar at full back. Duff looked drained of confidence, Xisco is not up to PL stadard yet. I could go on but I'll not. There is an arument that we were a little unlucky yesterday (we could have had two penalties - one of which motd didn't bother to show, we also hit the bar but the ref gave a very dodgy free kick against Colo).

We need to get the mess at the top sorted and quickly. January will be take your pick of our better players if we do not get a new owner or try and stabilise with Ashley.

The side we had to put out again showed the disaster that was our transfer window. That in itself should tell Ashley that KK had a point when he questioned the strength of the squad.

Considering the team we put out, we played a bit better than I was expecting, but we still looked a bit predictable going forward. Martins, Guthrie and Jonas would have given us that bit more of a threat.

At the back, Colo is still adjusting to the pace and physicality of the Premiership. Hopefully he'll develop, because he does show touches of real class, but I do wonder whether he'd do better as a defensive midfielder. Trouble is, I'm not sure if Bassong is quite ready enough to play CM.

Taylor is just Taylor. He often seems to get caught in no man's land, and reacting to situations rather than imposing himself.

I still can't understand why is it so hard to choose the formation that any average Newcastle fan  is capable of choosing, i mean Cacapa is the center of midfield? Geremi and Butt still on the team (albeit we are short of numbers) ? Zog as a left back?  whats are they seeing that we don't?!

With the shambles of BR we got back 11.25 last night. Never mind, 2 poor teams, we can improve, not so sure how much better WH can get. We conceded 3 shocking goals, we simply have no chance defence wise if we have to play Zog and Edgar at full back. Duff looked drained of confidence, Xisco is not up to PL stadard yet. I could go on but I'll not. There is an arument that we were a little unlucky yesterday (we could have had two penalties - one of which motd didn't bother to show, we also hit the bar but the ref gave a very dodgy free kick against Colo).

We need to get the mess at the top sorted and quickly. January will be take your pick of our better players if we do not get a new owner or try and stabilise with Ashley.

The side we had to put out again showed the disaster that was our transfer window. That in itself should tell Ashley that KK had a point when he questioned the strength of the squad.

True, if we were not going to bring anyone else in why sell Faye and Milner? They both would have been v.useful and given us extra options yesterday.

The team selection seemed way off to me.  Hughton maybe a good coach but he's a useless manager from what I've seen so far.  We were screwed when we named a centre midfield pairing of Butt and Cacapa, neither of who can pass forward of move at any speed.  N'Zogbia is a liability at left back as his positional sence lets him down, I can think of at least two goals in three games that have been a direct result of his poor positioning.  I've no real issue with Geremi at right wing not right back as we had little other option except possibly starting the very inexperienced Lua Lua there.  I'm starting to warm to the idea of someone like Venables coming in on a temporary contract until we are sold and the new people can appoint their own man.  Don't think Ashley wants to appoint someone permanently in case it affects his ability to sell on.

True, if we were not going to bring anyone else in why sell Faye and Milner? They both would have been v.useful and given us extra options yesterday.

We sold Milner because £12m was more than he was worth. He could go on and prove that wrong but IMO, it was too good a deal to turn down. We sold Faye because he had a bust up with KK as far as I understand it.

Our squad is not as strong as it should be I agree on that, but we have dropped points in the last two games partly through putting out unbalanced sides relying on old legs.

If David Edgar was a decent player, he would be in the Canadian national team.

It speaks volumes of him as a player, that he is still playing for the U20s.

yet another deluded fool on the forum

same same

The team selection seemed way off to me.  Hughton maybe a good coach but he's a useless manager from what I've seen so far.  We were screwed when we named a centre midfield pairing of Butt and Cacapa, neither of who can pass forward of move at any speed.  N'Zogbia is a liability at left back as his positional sence lets him down, I can think of at least two goals in three games that have been a direct result of his poor positioning.  I've no real issue with Geremi at right wing not right back as we had little other option except possibly starting the very inexperienced Lua Lua there.  I'm starting to warm to the idea of someone like Venables coming in on a temporary contract until we are sold and the new people can appoint their own man.  Don't think Ashley wants to appoint someone permanently in case it affects his ability to sell on.

Prepare for dummy spitting.

Why is it only when I post something deliberately stupid I get a responce?  Does no one want to talk to me?  Do I have some internet version of bad breath and inappropriate erections?  The last responce I got was when I siad a dumb comment about not wanting Poyet because he scored against us in an FA cup semi final.

Prepare for dummy spitting.

Why is it only when I post something deliberately stupid I get a responce?  Does no one want to talk to me?  Do I have some internet version of bad breath and inappropriate erections?  The last responce I got was when I siad a dumb comment about not wanting Poyet because he scored against us in an FA cup semi final.

Well on your first point, I think Hughton's options are very limited with all the injuries and suspensions, so I wouldn't criticise his selections particularly.

On the second issue, I'm sure nobody's got it in for you. But if you don't mind the observation, it helps if you only make one or two points in a post. In this case, you've made several.

If David Edgar was a decent player, he would be in the Canadian national team.

It speaks volumes of him as a player, that he is still playing for the U20s.

yet another deluded fool on the forum

same same

Hilarious isn't it, yet Taylor gets away with murder week in week out with a lot of fans.

For the record, coloccini didn't have a great game, but no one did, and I thought he was the strongest player in our defence.

He got stronger towards the end of the game, made some telling tackles amidst the chaos around him.