Everton 2-2 Newcastle - 05/10/08 - Post match reaction from page 18

Nate

Coloccini looked good to me, who's writing otherwise. Given's fault for the 2nd, he should be coming out for balls in his 6 yard area, it's his job

Nonsense twice over O0

fucking goalkeepers honestly, i was one for 10 years and I really cant understand how they constantly evade criticism. It's his 6 yard box ffs

That ball was never in a position for Given to deal with it.

It should have been Givens ball in an ideal world. However, as a defender I know myself that in those situations you get rid. "If in doubt, knock it out!" It's possible that this was just a lack of understandingbetween Shay and the two centre halves....the same lack of understanding which will hopefully be eradicated as time goes on.

Coloccini looked good to me, who's writing otherwise. Given's fault for the 2nd, he should be coming out for balls in his 6 yard area, it's his job

Nonsense twice over O0

f***ing goalkeepers honestly, i was one for 10 years and I really cant understand how they constantly evade criticism. It's his 6 yard box ffs

which is why our feet aren't glued to the pitch when we play football. Given should have come off his line a lot earlier to deal with it

There was one moment where he was essentially through but due to his amazing lack of pace got caught by the defenders. I remember thinking "If only that was Martins, we'd have been in." He didn't play badly on the whole today though.

Guest Brummiemag

Really pleased with this result and 2nd half performance. I feared the worst when we went 2 0 down but 2nd half we showed some determination and spirit for a change and we really should have won the game. Lets hope we can carry this through to the Man City game in 2 weeks time

Souness had a real go at the likes of Supermac and Bob Moncur. Not your fault though Graeme, eh?

I watched the interview. He never mentioned Supermac or Bob Moncur.

Your stirring.....

Maybe you should apply for a job in the Mirror.

Think we all know who Souness was having a go at. As for stirring - not at all. Merely pointing out that in Souness' eyes, it's everyone else's fault bar his for why he failed here.

Nonsense twice over O0

f***ing goalkeepers honestly, i was one for 10 years and I really cant understand how they constantly evade criticism. It's his 6 yard box ffs

which is why our feet aren't glued to the pitch when we play football. Given should have come off his line a lot earlier to deal with it

You've missed the point.  He had no chance to come for that ball.  Keep trying to be contrary though O0

Nonsense twice over O0

It was definitely Given's to deal with. He came initially and stopped.

Let's face it Shay can stop shots but he's never been able to deal with crosses coming into the 6 yard box in the way that Lehmann or Van der Saar would.

Nonsense twice over O0

It was definitely Given's to deal with. He came initially and stopped.

Let's face it Shay can stop shots but he's never been able to deal with crosses coming into the 6 yard box in the way that Lehmann or Van der Saar would.

Coloccini was with his man before the cross was played. Looked like Colo then left it for Shay to deal with once it went past the front post which caught Given by surprise. Lack of understanding IMO.

Nonsense twice over O0

You've missed the point.  He had no chance to come for that ball.  Keep trying to be contrary though O0

he had all the time in the world tbh, it was bad goalkeeping  :razz:

Good game- thought we looked totally different after Bassong came on

Zog seemed to come alive after Bassong came on. I thought those two linked really well. It was noticeable that Taylor bombed on down the right as well to good effect. I wonder if that was Kinnera's influence considering his emphasis on the full back role last week?

Some of my balated musings:

Thought we got absolutely mullered up until they scored the first goal, Everton looked very good.

Butt again gave away a goal, this seems to be happening with alarming frequency this season, he's either giving away posession cheaply or making ridiculous challenges like this one. However because "he was once a good player", even when barton is fit again, I doubt he'll be dropped. His distribution as he showed for the Taylor goal, is pretty good sometimes but he's just becoming too much of a liability these days.

After that though we responded pretty well, thought their second was a little against the run of play.

I'm still trying to get my head around Enrique's withdrawl, all the danger seemed to come down their left, so we take our left back off ?? Whatever it was a strock of genius because seemed to change the game for us.

Taylor's goal was crucial, and the after we got the 2nd, there really only was one team going to win the game, up until the last couple of minutes when Everton had some chances.

JK got his team talk spot on obviously because they seemed up for it. Could this be the turning point ? Like Birmingham away last season ? I don't see any reason why it can't be, it's a shame we don't have a game for a couple of weeks because the players will be lifted but on the other hand it gives time for the injuryed players to get back.

Yeah my gut instinct was head it out, it will come with time.

Had he followed the attacker he could have headed it out.  But once he decided to stay where he was and let Given/Cacapa deal with him he had no chance of reaching the ball, the cross was too good.

I'm still clinically depressed that not only Duff scored but also, and I quote, "Shola Ameobi danced his way into the Everton penalty area."

don't knock duff. we have never lost a league game in which he has scored in what ? three yeears now.